Jupiter: The "Revealer of Secrets."

Q&A and discussion on the Planets.
Danica
Irish
Irish

Jupiter: The "Revealer of Secrets."

Post by Danica » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 am

Mar 30, 2017
SteveS wrote:Cyril Fagan was an astute researcher for astrological material he discovered from Ancient Egypt. On the last page of his spiral bound book, ‘Zodiacs Old and New’, he wrote about Jupiter:
Jupiter Hor-wep-sheta, “Horus the Revealer of Secrets.”
I was born with Jupiter rising partile 120 Mars. I was born in a very rural area, an intellectual wasteland. As my life has evolved (this Sept will be 70), I have come to realize, since a mature age of 23, my life has been dominated with passionately endeavoring to learn the ‘Secrets’ of nature. Astrology is a huge hidden part of nature which constantly surrounds us. I would be interested in anyone’s opinions, Why Jupiter for ‘Secrets?’ How did the ancient sages of Ancient Egypt discover this ‘revealer of secrets’ with Jupiter?
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Re: Jupiter: The "Revealer of Secrets."

Post by Danica » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 am

Mar 30, 2017
Jim Eshelman wrote:I suspect this has something to do with wisdom, more than revelation - otherwise, it gets harder to distinguish Jupiter from, say, Uranus - and, in your case, I think the traits you describe are from a Virgo Sun in partile square to Uranus.

Nonetheless, it stirs an interesting question, because there are similar things - things that aren't Uranus, aren't Mercury, etc. - traditionally related to Jupiter, from its relationship to higher education, through preservation of traditions, and a wisdom factor that is probably an extension of "respected elder" I imagine.

I tried to dig into that name - Egyptian language orthography has evolved over the years, sometimes things are spelled differently now, and the translations have expanded, so I wanted to see what modern Egyptologists would give for it. There isn't much (I suspect they transliterate it differently these days). Besides Fagan himself (from Astrological Origins), I only found one clear reference, and its buried in the following PDF that I didn't download myself, but that I thought might interest you:
http://www.academia.edu/16358111/von_Li ... ient_Egypt
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 am

Mar 30, 2017
SteveS wrote:Yes, the link explains how the keywords for Jupiter changed through Egypt's long 4,000 year culture, interesting link, thanks.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 09, 2017 8:39 am

Mar 30, 2017
Arena wrote:Interesting. But I agree with Jim. I think that Mars-Jupiter aspect is less likely the factor causing your lifelong curiosity and search for truth. Probably more the Sun-Uranus (I have a sextile and am that same way). But what I might want to point out is that Jupiter can also be seen as someone with wisdom who can teach. I think you are actually good teacher material Steve. Well, so is Jim, you are very good at explaining things. Maybe it is also the Virgo Sun or a combination of factors.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am

Mar 30, 2017
SteveS wrote:Yes Arena, I agree with both you and Jim about my Sun-Uranus aspect for discovering the secrets of nature through Sidereal Astrology. Many mysteries from the culture of Ancient Egypt still to be discovered/revealed. Wishing you a happy trip back to Iceland.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by By Jove » Tue May 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Jupiter does make sense as a planet regarding esoteric things like the occult and spiritual. It is the guru planet of higher learning, religious doctrines, and constant elevation after all.

James Condor
Luminary Member
Luminary Member

Post by James Condor » Wed May 10, 2017 7:28 am

Very interesting topic. I like the distinctions between Mercury, Jupiter and Uranus. Jupiter in transit must touch the native with a sense of glory. Jupiter measures. Mercury calculates. Measurement is about comparing and contrasting objects. Jupiter is a common benchmark of sorts. A good source to check in with. And in transit, it must check the native with feeling good like gold.
Jupiter natally maybe different than in transit. Abundant in my natal chart, I will chime in fwiw. I never in a million years would say Jupiter is a revealer of secrets natally. I actually haven't thought of Jupiter much besides being a fortunate planet. Being a planet people enjoy touching base with or being present with(unless envious). Ironically though, I find it easier to talk about my experiences with other Jupiter beings.
I've known a Sagittarius-Gemini-Pisces, Cancer-Gemini-Taurus, Sagittarius-Aries-Capricorn, 2 Cancer-Sagittarius-Libras, and so many others, who are just so similar in so many ways. I notice in Jupiter a sense of presence and shinning glory. It is like an understood achievement in Jupiter people. As if, been there, done that. They have a certain way of presenting the world. Maybe it is the fact that they do present the world in such an understood, matter of fact way, makes them seem like they are revealing universal secrets. As if they have answers. This also can lead to arrogance, pompous, entitlement, stubbornness and lack of genuine heart.
Jove is correct in a general, traditional sense. But it is deeper than that. Many Virgos I would consider gurus too. Many Cancer, Sag or Pisces individuals, I wouldn't listen to if my life depended on it when arrogant. And higher learning is quite interpretive. My father is a Sag-Gemini-Pisces and he is not a good teacher, but he can learn allot of stuff and quick and accurately. My Cancer friends are just too selfish for me to think they know what they preach. I'm rarely convinced they see a higher reality. They are just so general and make general conclusions. BUT, they themselves think they're onto something or have some hidden knowledge. Or they know better. Or more. Again, is this just Jupiter nature or more universally true, or both. Because Jupiter can seem pompous. Is it envy. Do others envy Jupiter?
I think its more of the glory presence. Maybe like gold. Gold is valued, worshiped and praised. But its just gold. Culture, reputation and tradition accumulated the perceived value. Jupiter is like gold. People just like having it, like wanting or desiring it and they know if they have it, people will respect them more or look up to them as if higher up in society.
Jupiter constellations can all come off as being righteous, demeaning, and a know it all.
Jupiter doesn't deceive or pretend. Natives have an innate glory. It is built into them by default. You can argue with them, tell them they're wrong and full of it but you will regret it. You will see that they can't possibly be wrong for having such an insistent, innate grasp on worldly ideas and how all the pieces fit together. Jupiter doesn't second guess or monitor their thoughts. Jupiter measures, mercury calculates. Its natives have a sense of space, all the objects in the space, and how the objects all relate to each other. The growth and expansion part of Jupiter is this space concept. Jupiter has a different perspective of knowingness than Mercury. Jupiter is more intuitive.
The negaside side of Juoiter is that it doesnt let things just be. Jupiter changes things for the "better". The "better", in quotes, because not everyone will alwzys agree on the definition of "better". Sometimes just letting thingsbe as they are is better, but if Jupiter doesn't agree, they don't show the respect or decency to just leave it be, they will try and improve the situation. Then they might get arrogant when confronted or asked- why not leave things be? Why do they think they know better? Do they really know better? Are they better? Do they think they're higher than people. This is ego. Just as each planet such as Neptune is sensitive, distorted, foggy or Mars competive, ego is innate.

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by By Jove » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Jupiter has a lot to deal with social classes, institutions, and elitism; which can be positive or negative depending on what is expressed. On the negative, it makes one very tribalistic and obsessive over an "in-group" and exclusive to those who don't cut it. On the positive, it makes the Sag strive for a high position.

In a similar vein, Jupiter rules over excellence, things that are judged "high" or "high class" or "better than everything else", and again this will influence the Sag to strive to be the very best at a field, but the downside is snobbishness only for the most excellent things and contempt for those who the Sag perceives as not "cutting the mark". The worst extreme of this tendency is racism and genocide, the attempt to clean the world of "imperfect filth".

And as the benefic of the "guru" planets, Jupiter rules over teaching, philosophy, religion etc. At its most profound, Jupiter is the "revealer of secrets" in the philosophical and religious sense (not in the psychological sense as one would think with, let's say, Scorpio and Pisces).

It's a staple of philosophers and mystics that the Truth (capital T) is shielded from us by appearances and only reveals itself in rare exalted moments when all veils are removed. For instance, Ancient Egyptian and modern Christian priests hid their holy of holies in special chambers the laity can never access; only the priest can mediate the Truth to them. It's like Plato's description of a "true" reality of ideals or Kant speaking of the noumenal (spiritual) world or Nietzsche speaking how myths and metaphors are Schien (appearances) that act as bridges to the Truth.

In essence, Jupiter acts as bridge to the Truth through religion and philosophy (Sagittarius) or mysticism (Pisces). The mortals who best represent these ideas are Beethoven and Milton, whose loss of physical sense helped them reach the Truth; Beethoven (Sag Sun, Scorpio Moon) became deaf and thus could hear the Truth, Milton (Scorpio Moon, Sag Sun) became blind and thus could see the Truth.
Last edited by By Jove on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 pm

By Jove wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm
DISCLAIMER: DEALING WITH TROPICAL ZODIAC
In other words, you're writing about Tropical Sagittarius? If that's what you mean, then this is quite inappropriate to post here.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by By Jove » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 am

All that I wrote about Jupiter recently perfectly applies to Sidereal Sagittarius.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 am

By Jove wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 am
All that I wrote about Jupiter recently perfectly applies to Sidereal Sagittarius.
Ah, then would you mind please deleting the statement that it is a post applying to the Tropical zodiac? That would be quite confusing to people finding this site.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:05 am

Hey Jove. When you took off the disclaimer, you accidentally deleted the link to the site where you got this.

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by By Jove » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:10 pm

It's a tropical astrology website, so I'm not sure if Jim will like me linking it. If he likes it, I'll link it.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:39 pm

By Jove wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:10 pm
It's a tropical astrology website, so I'm not sure if Jim will like me linking it. If he likes it, I'll link it.
If it's inappropriate to link to it, then it's inappropriate to use on this site. Remember Jim has said that before - it's not a choice we get to make. You have to give attribution.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:52 pm

I guess I'm not clear what's going on. Was this not something you wrote?

At first I thought it was something you wrote on another site, but were posting your writing here, and warning us that it was written about Tropical Sagittarius. Then you said it actually fit Sidereal Sagittarius, so I said, hey, just stop confusing us please by removing the note that says it was about Tropical Sagittarius.

If you wrote it - just post your writing here. No need to attribute etc.

But if someone else wrote it - and about a Tropical sign at that - then I can't see what relevance it has here at all AND it's wrong to copy their work without attribution.

So that's the bottom line question now: Is this your work or not?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by By Jove » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm

It is. :roll:

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:38 pm

That's great! I'd love to see the original. Please send me the link by PM. Thanks.