Mars in the Constellations - interpretation resources

Reserved for posted interpretation resources for Sidereal sign-placements. Please direct discussions to the Constellations - Discussion forum.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Taurus

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:48 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Mystic, Traveler, Sensual, Active, Humane
Significantly low: Poetical, Powerful, Reserved, Romantic
8.61% of population (~1/12)

Notebook #93 observations: Most known to me are artists by profession or near-profession (primarily, but not exclusively, musical). Women with this tend to be tough, competitive, comfortable with their own assertiveness, without compromising their tenderness. (Very strangely, the men seem more likely to doubt or second-guess themselves, though they prove markedly sexually attractive, often with a remarkable diversity of partners. Famous men with Mars in Taurus exude sexuality.)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Andrew Jackson

NOTE: Lowest in 33 race car drivers (all Indy 500 drivers one year). Highest for astrologers (Eshelman study). Low for heads of states (Scorpio was lower).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Gemini

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Poetical, Methodical, Humane
Significantly low: Idealist, Active, Charming, Ambitious

Notebook #93 observations: Most have a wishy-washy, can't make up their mind, don't take action, won't commit, etc. quality. No sense of urgency or immediacy on committing to a final decision. Substance abuse and related post-abuse behavior can be significant part of the problem. (Not true of all examples, though!)

OBSERVATIONS: Among female musical celebrities, there's a remarkable pattern of power - Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dolly Parton, and Patsy Cline share this placement. Many public examples are eloquent, often with piercing minds (this shows in politics, business, science, etc. - not so much profession-specific as trait-specific).

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Scientists
Significantly low: Military musicians
9.40% of population (~1/11)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Calvin Coolidge, Franklin D. Roosevelt
(More typical of VPs than Presidents.)

NOTE: Highest for 59 Sidereal astrologers (much more Siderealist than Tropicalist in inclination; contrast Mars in Cancer). High for alcoholics.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Cancer

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Devoted, Sincere, Courageous, Romantic, Powerful
Significantly low: Authority, Precise

Notebook #93 observations: They have a real inner strength. They seem to hold onto demons from their past that they continue to battle.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: In popular music, men are usually the gigantic figures - Brian Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, Buddy Holly, two of the Beatles - though the smaller number of eminent female singers tend to be real powerhouses with legendary "belt" power - Bette Midler and Cher, for example. - More broadly (but including many of the music figures), Mars in Cancer seems to be able to draw serious passionate cult followings, whether in religion, the arts, or politics - e.g., add Jim Jones, Al Gore, Himmler, and Bardot; and lesser examples like Don Imus and Alex Haley in entertainment or John McCain and Hillary Clinton in politics (and several of the U.S. "founding fathers"). More than simple "popularity," all of these deserve at least the label "passionate following." - Many seem to be "empire builders," whether in business or politics (with the U.S. Presidents and other modern 'cult' politicians being joined by several historic dictators + business figures like Rupert Murdoch and Merv Griffin).

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Sports Champions
Significantly low: (Aviators)
9.98% of population (1/10)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Franklin Pierce, Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Harry S Truman
(Most common Mars placement for U.S. Presidents (10 out of 41, whereas 4 would be expected), but none in the last 50 years. Far more inclined to the Presidency than the Vice Presidency.)

NOTE: Highest (but not statistically significant) for 54 Tropical astrologers. Much more likely to be Tropicalist than Siderealist. (Contrast Mars in Gemini.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Leo

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Innovator, Idealist, Active, Courageous
Significantly low: Charming

GENERAL REMARKS / PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS: This is a position of tremendous strength, decisiveness, leadership, and chutzpah. The chutzpah is especially a prevailing characteristic both in the Leo Mars people I personally known and in U.S. Presidents with the placement. (Consider George W. Bush and Donald Trump, for example! Whatever else you think of Bush, he was ballsy and aggressive in matters of his strongly-held convictions.) Other previous Presidents with this demonstrated the same kind of charismatic and wilful daring overall.

Notebook #93 observations: Strong, bright, self-confident people with many admirable traits which they are generously willing to share.

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Musicians, (Physicians)
9.97% of population (1/10)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: U.S. Grant, Benjamin Harrison, Lyndon B. Johnson, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Donald Trump

OBSERVATIONS: The number of historically significant monarchs is huge! And the number of heads of state that are considered dictators or otherwise power-heavy is rather sizeable compared to other sign placements. The courage and chutzpah elements hold up strongly.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Virgo

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly low: Traveller, Courageous, Powerful

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: These people are keenly strategic, almost ruthlessly. This can extend to overt deception and other covert, manipulative, gamey behaviors, including being actually treacherous. Intelligent (including some very intelligent, powerful figures), penetrating, effective; usualy very motivated and goal-directed. - Even those that I personally like a great deal nonetheless have an air about them that they're usually "playing an angle." (Courageous and powerful clearly fit most, and I'm not surprised that they excel as actors more than as athletes.)
[A correspondent on this forum wrote, muse9, "So far i've found it to be strategic, time-saving, likes to organise, analyse and help others practically with their energy." These sound mostly dead-on, and I'm recording them here for later vetting.]

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Actors. U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justices (6 out of 17).
Significantly low: Sports Champions
9.61% of population (~1/10)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: John Adams, James K. Polk, Andrew Johnson, Chester A. Arthur, Bill Clinton
(Three Democrates and only one Republican - and Adams who was the proto-Republican of his day - beats the odds a bit. Two of the four were the only Presidents formally impeached, and both had Mars rising in Virgo. - This is by far the leading Mars-sign for Vice Presidents.)

NOTE: High for alcoholics (Bradley).

MUSIC: I am interested by the particular group of popular musicians with Mars in Virgo. A list of those readily at hand includes Cat Stevens, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Billy Ray Cyrus, and Mary Travers. Their similarities deserve a closer look.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Libra

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Authority, Precise
Significantly low: Mystic

Notebook #93 observations: One significant (but minority) sub-set of this group has poor impulse control and sharp ego swings, strong on self-justification, sometimes slow to ask for help.

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high:
Significantly low: Military, (Aviators)
8.91% of population (1/11)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Martin Van Buren, Zachary Taylor, Abraham Lincoln, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, Warren G. Harding
(2nd highest for U.S. Presidents 7 out of 41, where 3-4 would be expected. This includes 5 of the 8 Presidents who died in office. Six of the 7 were Republicans or, in Taylor's case, a Whig.)

NOTE: Low for 100 murderers (Davis data). Very high among activist lesbian feminists (King-Eshelman data).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Scorpio

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Ambitious
Significantly low: Sensitive

Notebook #93 observations: I like this group of people from an organizational p.o.v.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: Competitive, hardworking. In general, I'd say their drive and persistence is fierce in whatever they pick. - Those who excel at their craft have gotten there by applying very hard work to their dream and proceding with maximum clarity of direction. Mars in Scorpio includes both Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti; actors like Dustin Hoffman and Jack Nicholson; athletes like Steffi Graf (and a non-stop marathon running triathelete entertainment attorney I know); numerous comedians of whom George Carlin is probably best representative; and that exemplar of "never give up," Christopher Reeve. (There are many more, but these are representative.) - Most that I know personally prefer a little persistent "bad boy/girl" in their character, feel it their moral duty to misbehave on schedule, and stay "a little rough around the edges." - Most of the women I've known with Mars in Scorpio have been high-demand sexual locomotives.

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly low: "New Champions"
8.05% of population (~1/12)

NOTE: Highest for 44 comedians. 2nd highest for 30 great composers. Lowest (with Taurus) for heads of states. Lowest for 59 Sidereal astrologers and 108 astrologers overall.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: George Washington, Millard Fillmore
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Sagittarius

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Reserved, Profound, Precise
Significantly low: Imaginative, Hardworking, Innovator

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: "Missionary," or "energetic in matters of belief," plus an overall ambition. Also, a strategic skill (almost military in nature), and a broad tendency at success. -- But there is another pattern, of which I see many examples, which is hard to pin down: There are people who, even when serious-minded and disciplined themselves, tend to exude an air of mystery or (better word:) fantasy. This is true of those who are out-and-out occultists, and those who are not. For mystery and fantasy, consider the names Aleister Crowley, Edgar Cayce, Lewis Carroll, Steven Spielberg, former KGB Vladimir Putin, the secretive and plotting Richard Nixon, Miss Mystery herself Agatha Christie, and one self-identified vampire that I personally know. (Can anyone help identify exactly what the pattern is here?) - All of these examples seem "under cover" in some fashion, veiled identities, alter egos, etc.

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Military musicians, Writers
7.27% of population (1/14)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: James Madison, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan
(Every one of them was strong-handed with military force, either before or during their Presidency. Four of the five were Republicans.)

NOTE: Highest for 33 race drivers (all Indy 500 drivers one year); highest for heads of states

OBSERVATIONS: Without losing pragmnatsm, the politicians and others in this list are much more ideologially driven (strongly patriotic, often leaning toward nationalism). There is also strong technical innovartion - Bell and Edison stand out, with Disney right next to them, but also Crowley, Harrison, and others). Also, many that are distinctly identified with ideologies, -ists, and -isms (from political nationalists to "Red-busting" politicians, founders or propagaters of philosophical movements, a performer who mostly introduced Eastern music to the mainstream West, and a certain Siderealist).

And, simply, there are a lot of historically significant monarchs! The list is full people people who thrive in "old school" ways, in what is now considered more "classic" a form (but was innovative in their time) - something about this group does not play to the 21st C. mind in the same way that it did in more "classic" times (look at the actors; consider the career cycle of David Bowie).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Capricorn

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Secretive, Ambitious
Significantly low: Sincere

Notebook #93 observations: Courage as an over-compensatory behavior; they see themselves as "one down," spend a lot of energy dealing with it, but not likely to complain much about it. Solid helpers. [NOTE: On "one down" compensatory behavior, consider Woody Allen! Also consider Lance Armstrong as an example of the power of coming from behind. Consider Rush Limbaugh.]

OTHER PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS: Among people I personally know, this is one of the most secretive group I know. Some are outright deceptive about who they are; most are only extremely withholding concerning facts they think will get them negatively judged (usually asserting it is "none of anybody's business," or that they are simply private). I speculate about the amount of unresolved shadow content, because they often seem to be carrying a lot of their past around as something that makes them uncomfortable and they don't want disclosed. - Women with this position are extremely forthright in their sexuality, a mix of practicality with unusually strong sexual needs.

This think "secretive" and "insincere" reflects a trait that is easy to see among people with the Sun and Moon in Capricorn: They don't like to be self-disclosing. I suppose there is a "safety first" feel to this. People I know who have Mars in Capricorn have variations of this - secretive, sometimes mysterious, putting on a facade so people won't really see them. "Wanting to look good" and "not wanting to be found out" are frequent forms.

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly low: Actors
6.78% of population (1/15)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Woodrow Wilson

NOTE: High for heads of states.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Aquarius

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:54 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Powerful (powerful mind), Authority, Innovator
Significantly low: Sensitive, Sensual, Imaginative, Precise, Romantic

Notebook #93 observations: The men are usually strong presences, gregarious, bon vivants. Both genders seem strongly vested in friendship and helpful to their friends. (NOTE: This is also a strikingly good description of Ted Kennedy.)

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly high: Sports Champions, "New Champions"
6.70% of population (1/15)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush

NOTE: In another thread, I started to sort through this and summarize the traits as follow.
In natal astrology, Mars in Aquarius scored significantly high in the Gauquelin character trait collection for "powerful" (which also included "powerful mind"), "authority," and "innovator." It seems, from these traits to be pragmatic, innovative, mentally progressive, having a solid foundation on which to build, etc., especially since it was significantly low for the character traits "sensitive, sensual, imaginative, precise, romantic." Nothing namby-pamby here! <g> (As an aside to my aside: This character trait selection is a striking example of how these are NOT Mars in Pisces people, as they would be in the TZ.) Pragmatic, innovative, powerful (and probably that also means powerful mind.)

This "powerful" and "authority" should not be understood in a tyrranical way The only two U.S. Presidents to have Mars in Aquarius were Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush, neither of whom was known for heavy-handed behavior. Both are good-hearted men of intelligence and a particular vision, but neither their friends nor their foes likely would call either of them heavy-handed or tyrranical. That's not what "powerful" or "authority" meant in either case.

Personal observation discloses that the men, in particular, usually have a strong presence, and are gregarious, bon vivants. Both genders seem strongly vested in friendship and helpful to their friends. (I've cited Ted Kennedy as a strikingly good example of this.) And looking at these political examples keeps bringing the word "pragmatic"to mind - they all had a vision (a strong vision), but they did not let ideology get in the way of getting things done.
FAMOUS EXAMPLES:
(Many among this group emphasize the "pragmatic" trait I'm observing, and especially pragmatic in lieu of ideological when it comes to decision making. Yet maby of the same held strong, even ideological vision. They just don't tend to let that determine their action.)
Charles E.O. Carter
Pres. Jimmy Carter, Pres. George H.W. Bush, Francisco Franco, Konrad Adenauer, King Fuad I (Egypt)
Sen. Edward Kennedy, Gov. Mitt Romney, Sen. Rick Santorum
Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Carrie Fisher, Marilyn Monroe, Jane Fonda, Gates McFadden, Shirley Temple Black, Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeifer, Cary Grant, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Errol Flynn, Matt Damon, Burt Reynolds, Jim Bailey, David Copperfield, Chris Carter
Carol Channing, Billie Holiday, Debbie Boone, Annie Lennox, Tina Turner, Lisa Marie Presley, Bob Dylan, Phil Collins, Miles Davis, Burl Ives, M.C. Hammer, LL CoolJ, Ritchie Valens, Justin Bieber, Elton John, Giacomo Puccini, Stephen Sondheim
Chief Justice William Renquist, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor
Charles Lindbergh,Sir Richard Burton
Ian Frazer, Erich Fromm
Hermann Hesse, Maya Angelou, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Truman Capote, Betty Friedan, Allen Ginsberg, Langston Hughes, John Milton, William Wordsworth
Al Smith, Lee Iacocca, John D. Rockfeller
Ian Brady, Lyle Menendez
Jesus (by Fagan reconstruction)
Mary Queen of Scots
Charles Atlas, Chris Evert
Ansel Adams, Honore Daumier

OBSERVATIONS: In the list above, there are multiple recurring themes. For example, there's no trouble finding entertainment industry people (actors and creators) identified with science fiction themes; writers of earlier times who are essentially science fiction writers of their time (Milton and Hesse, anyone?); business leaders who were pragmatic, effective, and identified with new and improving technologies; and others who made their claim to fame based on innovation, technivcasl methods, pushing limits (think of Charles Atlas, Lindbergh, ANsel Adams, Errol Flynn, etc.). The group of actors is phenomenal, often giants, and the list deserves closer attention for distinguishing exactly what characterized them. (I note that the women are rarely known for excellence in sentimental roles, and the men are often "leading men" strong figures, but only rarely as unsentimental "tough guy" figures.) In music, there is exceptional innovation, and more than a little revolt, "break out," pushing social issues, etc.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Pisces

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:54 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly high: Traveler, Pessimistic, Sensitive, Imaginative
Significantly low: Sincere, Hardworking, Devoted, Profound, Active

Notebook #93 observations: Possibly a marked passive-aggressive tendency (I don't feel I have enough info yet to say this for sure). Communication problems (viz., withholding of emotionally important communication) is characteristic, and is pronounced in those who are relationally disruptive and shifting of alliances.

Observation (with speculation): I've noticed a number of these people (public and private) who get ostracized, marginalized, pushed aside - It's their own fault, in that they stir controversy and drama about themselves (for good reason or bad), and tend to be rather self-righteous about the whole matter and often flount / create drama around their 'singular' exclusion, wear their distinctions and unpopularity almost as a badge of honor. (Orson Welles, Harvey Milk, and Justice Scalia are public examples who show different aspects of this. I know several private people in the same pattern. There are many with Mars in Pisces who do not seem to fit this.) Cf. the other observations on the sign.

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: The Gauquelin character trait predominances reflect what is often called "the artist's temperament" (perhaps in a particularly 19th Century style); and a couple cases like Orson Welles and Baudelaire make the point. I don't have a lot of personal examples to analyze, but they do seem to share a trait that they don't hesitate to "look under the covers" at things most people prefer to leave hidden (e.g., death or anomal sexuality, as well as more general occultism, "life msyteries," "psychological mysteries," etc.).

VOCATIONAL:
Significantly low: Scientists
7.06% of population (1/14)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: (None)

NOTE: Lowest for U.S. Presidents (none; 2 would be expected). Highest in a small study of great composers. 2nd highest for 59 Sidereal astrologers.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Mars in Aries

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:55 pm

CHARACTER TRAITS:
Significantly low: Active
7.76% of population (1/13)

Notebook #93 observations: Vulnerable to bored disinterest if a matter doesn't continue to stimulate them. I suspect that the personality type, in general, does better on the rebound or recovery than in making things work from careful planning at the beginning. A definite tendency to not know what they're getting into, to leap without looking, or even to disbelieve what they see if they DO look!

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS: Music industry (and sometimes film) figures who are eminently business people to the point of industry-building (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Carole King; Clint Eastwood, Charles Chaplin). Other industry-builders like Steve Jobs. The expected power politicians (many of whom also have Aries Suns), including Hitler, Eichman, Catherine II, Eva Peron (if born in 1919), and Ian Smith. A few examples of people who just seemed to have too much energy pumping through their nervous systems (David Helfgott, Michael Jackson and, for that matter, probably Hitler). - Among those I've known personally, there are also numerous examples of those who build organizations, have a flair for promotion and industrious expansion, etc.).

U.S. PRESIDENTS: James Buchanan, John Kennedy, Gerald Ford

NOTE: Astrologers with Mars in Aries are much more likely to be Siderealists than Tropicalists.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Re: Mars in the Constellations - interpretation resources

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 pm

muse9 wrote:Just wondering if anyone had anything to say from a Mars in Virgo point of view. As stated sun, moon and mars are important so i'd like to have some info if anyone had any about this sign in mars. So far i've found it to be strategic, time-saving, likes to organise, analyse and help others practically with their energy. Any more insight? Gathering that Mercury rules Virgo - i'd say it gives it a high-nerve energy that multi-tasks. Just some ideas.
I'd broadly agree. Mars in Virgo is definitely strategic - almost ruthlessly. Bright, penetrating, effective - or, on the other side, actually deceptive and treacherous because of the strategic extremes. You might look at the Sun in Virgo notes for some other ideas. (And, of course, see the exact statistical findings under Mars in Virgo above.)
muse9 wrote:There wasn't any statistical findings (other than high for alcoholics) for this placement thus the question.
Actually, there was. The vocational and character trait results from the Gauquelin data is given. Vocationally, Mars in Virgo was significantly high for actors, and significantly low for sports champions. In the character trait catalogue, it was significantly low for the traits "traveller, courageous, powerful."
muse9 wrote:Oh yes i saw this but as this was mainly just saying A a career type and B what it isn't - it wasn't overly insightful psychologically. Just was looking for more - which you've thankfully enlightened me with, with your description above - thanks. One comment though is that i did study acting at university and my mars is in virgo so that's interesting that it matches the observation. Though i'm guessing my neptune exactly on the Midheaven is a big indication why i'm a singer/songwriter.
Yes, other things in the chart can enhance this.

These brief statistics can give significant insights as we find our way through identifying these meanings. I just haven't taken the time, over the years, to vet and write out detailed Mars sign interpretations, though they're arguably as important as Sun and Moon.

Think it through this way: From observation, we know that this placement is especially strategic. People around them, in fact (even their best admirers), often regard them as sneaky. (Consider Clinton, whose fans even will chuckle over 'Slick Willy.') My observation is that Mars in Virgo will be strategic, indirect, etc. even when they don't need to be - distrust is surprisingly high. Now, take the statistical finding that these are people who are (to a statistically significant level) not called "powerful" by folks around them. Simply put, they don't seem powerful (and, in the aggregate, apparently don't feel powerful.) BTW, I totally disagree about them not being courageous - I think Mars in Virgo is terribly courageous. But it doesn't take the usual form people think of (physical courage etc.) - I think they are very strong on moral courage. Nonetheless, to a statistically significant degree, their biographers, interviewers, etc. did not characterize these people as courageous.

Take the inherently, easy to observe strategic temperament, take that they don't appear (and often probably don't feel) powerful, see that a path in which they flourish is acting... a picture starts emerging. Add that the only two U.S. Presidents ever to be impeached had this placement - their enemies were strong enough and their friends weak enough etc. From these few facts, we can start to get a feel of what is going on with Mars in Virgo even if we don't have it all worked out in nice language cross-compared with notebooks and biographies to give a standardizable interpretation paragraph.

This can be done with all of the sign placements.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com