Moon in the Constellations - interpretation resources

Reserved for posted interpretation resources for Sidereal sign-placements. Please direct discussions to the Constellations - Discussion forum.

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Taurus

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:10 pm

[After The New Instant Astrologer was released, I began reorganizing my notes on Sidereal Moon-signs - which I knew hadn't gotten the same quality of attention in the book as had the Sun-sign interpretations. The following bullet points are from my notebooks, and represent my "next generation" attempt. These haven't been fully vetted for accuracy against sufficient examples, and are to be regarded as a work in progress and notes toward a better treatment of the Moon placement interpretations.]

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY: Cordial, charming, magnetic. Soft, gentle, vulnerable; but brave (not timid). Values harmlessness, simplicity. Quest (groping) for emotional truth, driven by how they feel about things. Flirtatious, romantically roving. Thoughtful, reflective, independent thinker. Learns rapidly; relearns slowly. Sensuous. Beauty, art.
  1. Delicate, but not at all timid.
  2. Usually groping for answers, sometimes settling on an approximation for the time being. Older ones seem to have found what they want and are pretty solidly set on it.
  3. Their life is driven by how the feel about things. (A few are genuinely crazy & unhinged, apparently in response to other people not getting Taurus' world, or trying to shut down Taurus' emotional truth.)
  4. The most sensuous of Moon placements.
  5. Sensual side is most obvious surface trait. Very flirtatious, romantically roving (promiscuous?).
  6. Theme of SEXUALITY is important, usually by being very pronounced but sometimes due to its stark absence. - No middle ground or moderation in sexuality.
  7. Slow-starting, blossoms late (especially emotionally). (Related to habituation? Part of "emotional seeker" theme?)
  8. Much of life is spent on a QUEST for insight, understanding, and meaning regarding their feelings. (Valuing uncertainty.)
    -- When young, appear to grope for answers re: emotional understanding.
    -- May settle into a relationship or lifestyle as a temporary solution then move on.
    -- At "transition stage," feelings may appear shallow.
  9. Learns rapidly [LATER NOTE: I now question this. I think they initially learn rapidly but then lock in what they first learn; and that they relearn very slowly and with difficulty]. Can quickly expound upon subject learned. (Many teachers.)
  10. Thoughtful, reflective.
  11. Independent thinker, resistant to others' packaged answers. Intensely inquiring curiosity for truth and what makes Nature "tick." Great thinkers probing for Life's buried meanings. (STATS: High for Nobel physicists.)
  12. Heightened aesthetic sense (art-minded at least; may be an artist).
  13. Deep appreciation of Nature and Her beauty.
  14. Creatures of habit. Gravitate toward simple domestic setting rather than frenzied public life.
  15. Cordial, with much charm and personal magnetism.
  16. Inoffensive, totally appalled at thought of hurting others. May tolerate much personal difficulty or pain, however. (LATER: Values harmlessness, though not all of them succeed in being truly harmless or inoffensive. Some are quite obnoxious!)
  17. Doting parents, "mothering."
  18. Visual artists predominate among those people I personally know with this. (Notebook #93 observations)
STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: High for WRITERS. Very high for character trait "poet." High for traits "secretive, dreamer."
Other stats: Longer life span. Men tend to have daughters. High for 44 comedians, 20 satirists, 33 auto racers (all in Indy 500 one year). Low for Tropical astrologers. Best Actor (female) Oscar winners.
Observed Professional Interests: Teaching in many forms.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Barack Obama [2 inherited the Presidency due to the death of their predecessors; a third was elected through an elaborate Electoral College compromise; the fourth was decisively elected.]

OSCAR: Janet Gaynor (Seventh Heaven), Katharine Hepburn (Morning Glory; Gu3ss Who's Coming to Dinner; The Lion in Winter; On Golden Pond), Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night), Bette Davis (The Great Ziegfeld; Jezebel {!}), Victor McLaglen (The Informer), Greer Garson (Mrs. Miniver), Jayne Wyman (Johnny Belinda), Alec Guinness (The Bridge on the River Kwai), Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love {!}), Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart {!}), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook {!}), Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything), Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

[The following interpretation is quoted from The New Instant Astrologer by myself and Tom Stanton. I have long considered that it needed revision. I post it here as originally written until I get around to that rewrite.]

MOON IN TAURUS, the Bull (KEY: Searching)

Tradition asserts that Venus rules Taurus, and this seems justified. Surely, this is the most luxurious, indulgent, sensuous placement possible for the Moon. Taurians are the least offensive of people, totally appalled at the thought of inflicting harm on others, but not unlikely to tolerate much difficulty or pain themselves. Creatures of habit, they move toward a simple domestic setting rather than the frenzied life of the publicity hound.

Great thinkers probing the buried meanings of life and displaying an intense intellectual curiosity frequently claim this Moon-sign. There is dissatisfaction with dogma and an inquiring curiosity for truth. Blessed with a deep appreciation of nature and Her beauty, Taurus seeks the meaning behind existence and dissects all of the integral parts in an effort to solve the puzzle of the whole. They learn rapidly and can quickly expound upon what they have learned. Many teachers have this placement.

Taurus’ sensual side is his most obvious surface trait, however. Strange, how a constellation can vary from the most superficial to the most profound. Yet the Taurian desire for the widest possible variety of experience is part of his curiosity of what makes Nature tick. The theme of sexuality is a prominent on e in a Taurus’ life, though in a few cases it gains prominence from its stark absence. There is nothing moderate about Taurian sexuality, and when it isn’t markedly pronounced, it tends to take a nosedive for the far opposite end of the spectrum.

On meeting a lunar Taurian, you will find him most cordial, with great charm and personal magnetism. In romantic matters, his flirtations have been noted, and his amorous escapades may lead to a promiscuous lifestyle.

At times, Taurian feelings will come across as shallow. This reflects the insecurity of a transition stage. So much of the Taurian life is spent on a Quest. However, just as those with the Sun in Taurus are actively seeking meaning and direction in life (a solar principle), lunar Taurians quest for the same understanding, insight, and meaning regarding their feelings (a lunar principle). When young – indeed, often late into life – they appear to be groping for answers, sometimes settling into a relationship or lifestyle situation which is an approximation or temporary solution, but then moving on. Look at Taurians of retirement age and compare them to their sign-mates a decade younger. You will probably find live verification that this constellation is slow starting, and blossoms late.

Their heightened esthetic senses make them art-minded, even if their own artistic talents are limited to decorating their lovely homes. Mothers with a Taurus Moon are the doting kind, always especially interested in the child’s welfare and happiness, baking the favorite cake, being extra-careful with special things, almost to the point where an independent Pluto child could feel smothered at times.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Gemini

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm

[After The New Instant Astrologer was released, I began reorganizing my notes on Sidereal Moon-signs - which I knew hadn't gotten the same quality of attention in the book as had the Sun-sign interpretations. The following bullet points are from my notebooks, and represent my "next generation" attempt. These haven't been fully vetted for accuracy against sufficient examples, and are to be regarded as a work in progress and notes toward a better treatment of the Moon placement interpretations.]

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY: Intellectual, curious, talkative (charming, engaging). Passions drive intellect & interests. Needs constant input. Attention & interests shifting, varied. Hyper-sensitive (psychic); touchy, edgy (irrational); withdraws, hides. Stability from companionship (does better paired). Needs approval, acceptance.
  1. INTELLECTUAL, CURIOUS, COMMUNICATIVE (verbose). (Males esp. are a bunch of really bright guys.)
  2. Often professionally involved in speaking, writing, etc. (Many astrologers: cf. Manilius, Valens, Firmicus, etc.)
  3. Their attention is highly mobile, shifting, engaging multiple things at once, responding to transient curiosities. They tend to move-on swiftly in their minds and multiple interests.
  4. Needs continual sensory input. Dislikes mental surprises. (May fear what might happen because of what he doesn't know.)
  5. Poor on follow-through. Often makes commitments they don't keep until something truly visionary anchors their attention.
  6. Can't tolerate thinking another is smarter than he. Accuses others of flaunting knowledge, though freely brandishing own.
  7. PRAGMATIC, eager to transmute theory into application.
  8. Very COMMERCIAL.
  9. FEELINGS and INTELLECT are closely interrelated. Passions for a subject drive their intellect & interests.
  10. Great perceptual sensitivity, increases awareness of world (psychic), but makes them especially vulnerable to exogenous influences. Frequently withdraws, hides. Hyper-responsive, touchy, edgy (irrational).
  11. Sexual tastes and activities are experimental but discreet. (Tending algolagnic.)
  12. Inherent NERVOUSNESS. High-strung. (Smokers.)
  13. Needs continual activity of mind and body. (Can't relax well.)
  14. Versatile talents. MUSIC (song-writing), poetry, mimicry, acting.
  15. "TWO-NESS." Psychic stability is found in companionship; generally natural pairers.
  16. Needs attention and acceptance from others.
  17. Charming, engaging; connects for companionship. (STATS: Very high for character trait "charming;" high for trait "nice.")
  18. Fondness of GAMES (but not necessarily a sense of PLAY). Needs to be "in on the game" with others. (STATS: High for Gauquelin SPORTS CHAMPIONS.)
  19. Strives to hang onto YOUTH.
  20. Keenest sense of humor in zodiac - a reason why Gemini stays young (Bradley). [I'm not sure this is true; but: STATS: High for 20 satirists.]
  21. They seem to need considerable diversity in their lives, and if they don’t have it, then get bored and look for greener grass. (The needed diversity may include participation in multiple things at once, or a highly expressive and varied personal life.) (Notebook #93 observations)
OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: High for PHYSICIANS. Very high for character trait "charming." Also high for: not courageous [a rare Mercury-sign placement that scored that way!], nice, not ambitious, not humane, not powerful, not a traveler.
Other stats: Low for 86 Nobel physicists. Low for 33 auto racers (all Indy 500 drivers one year; Eshelman). High for astrologers (Eshelman).
ACCIDENTS (Carter, 168 cases): Highest (i.e., Tropical Cancer; this effect may or may not translate to Sidereal Gemini)
A study of 40 supercentarians had the Moon in Gemini 6 times (about twice expectancy). The Sun was also in Gemini more than any other sign (8), although its companion high frequency in Taurus raises the question of whether there is a non-zodiacal artifact present. The Moon was only in Capricorn once.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Theodore Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Franklin D. Roosevelt [2 inherited the office due to the death of their predecessor; the third died in office after being elected 4 times]

OSCARS: Clark Gable (It Happened One Night {!}), Spencer Tracy (Captains Courageous; Boys Town {!}), Olivia De Havilland (To Each His Own; The Heiress), William Holden (Stalag 17), David Niven (The Moon is Blue), Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg), Liza Minnelli (Cabaret), Emma Thompson (Howards End), Sean Penn (Mystic River; Milk)

[The following interpretation is quoted from The New Instant Astrologer by myself and Tom Stanton. I have long considered that it needed revision. I post it here as originally written until I get around to that rewrite.]

MOON IN GEMINI, the Twins (KEY: Experiential)

Living under Mercury’s tutelage, those with the Moon in Gemini are intellectual and communicative on one hand, and very sensitive, edgy, even irrational on the other. The dual nature is not at all foreign to this sign of “two-ness.” With the Moon in a mercurial sign, feelings and intellect are closely interrelated.

Lunar Geminians are extremely curious and often involved in professions where speaking, writing, or similar activities are required. Yet the nervousness inherent in a mercurial nature causes them to be touchy, sensitive, and hyper-responsive. Folks with the Moon in Gemini are often heavy smokers because of their high-strung natures.

It is not hard to find Geminis living with their parents much later into life than most. There is a need to be with others, to seek out a personal security in companionship, to have continual sensory input. They are uncomfortable when alone or isolated. These people have a great capacity for giving affection, as well as a special need for attention and acceptance. Gemini is a child at heart, and no child likes to be left out of things while his friends are all at play. They want in on the game too.

Others find them charming and engaging. Frequently they have considerable musical talents, particularly song writing, and they may be gifted in poetry, mimicry, and acting as well.

One thing Geminians cannot tolerate is thinking someone else is smarter than they. They will constantly accuse others of flaunting knowledge, though brandishing their own abilities freely. They do not like to be mentally surprised nor have things kept from them, always fearing what might happen because of what they do not know. Geminis regularly want to withdraw from the pains of the world, for their greater sensitivity, often psychic in nature and giving them a great total awareness of what is really happening, makes the “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” sting a little more.

Gemini is pragmatic, always eager to transmute theory into application. People with the Moon here are often particularly adept at house cleaning and other mundane chores. The continual activity of body and mind is what they need if they are not to be reduced to bundles of nerves.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Cancer

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 pm

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY: Strongly driven by feelings (close to surface, comfortably expressed; sometimes overwhelm). When feeling safe: tender, gentle, humane, openly sensitive; otherwise moody, cocky arrogance. Expressive actor, yet treasures privacy. Magnetic, draws affection, warm, generous, hospitable. Sympathetic lis-tening; trusted. Exudes optimism, confidence. Better serving than leading. Thrives within imagination & fantasy.
  1. Main themes: IMAGERY, SECURITY, FEELING.
  2. Emotions govern the life. Strong orientation toward FEELING. (Strongly driven by their feelings, which sometimes become too much for them.)
  3. Tender, feelings close to the surface, comfortably expressed.
  4. When emotionally safe: tender, gentle, openly sensitive; otherwise moody, cocky arrogance as a defense.
  5. Love catches them easily. Love animals (pets).
  6. "Magnetic personalities" draw opposite sex.
  7. Warm, demonstrative, generous, hospitable, generally sincere in affections. Honest in human relations.
  8. When emotional security is lacking, has difficulty succeeding in long-term relationships. [Isn't this true of everyone?]
  9. Surprising amount of personal optimism. Almost mystical sense of hidden personal strength or invulnerability. Confident.
  10. PUBLIC-ORIENTED. Enjoys publicity and limelight. Stage presence, performs with color and flair. (But uncommon for comedians.) [NOTE: I now question this general observation. The Cancer Moons I know best personally flourish with one-on-one attention but shy away from public disclosure, almost to the point of being secretive, avoiding the camera, etc. Even among celebrities, the likes of Barbra Streisand and Clint Eastwood can play to the camera and lights, but personally treasure their privacy more.]
  11. Physical presentation is impressive to outsiders. Persevering, vital, imposing, serious, with mental firmness. [Questioning this.]
  12. Uncanny ability to create "systems" - Weltanschauung. (Bradley)
  13. Urge to take command and seek acclaim in the material world. Able to make decisions.
  14. Terrific organizers. Somehow "make things move" when they take charge.
  15. Solemn awareness of the phenomenal world.
  16. Highly intuitive - looks right through you. (Bradley)
  17. Marvelous memory - has to learn things only once. (Bradley)
  18. Ever willing to listen sympathetically to others' problems, but little insight into own personal motives.
  19. Shadow motif.
  20. Imagery is their most amazing faculty - can schematize and "technicolor" things endlessly. (Bradley)
  21. Sensitivity, image-forming ability (art, theater, music, painting, design, literature).
OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: High for traits "poet, secret, humane;" low for traits "witty, devoted."
Other stats: Shorter life-span (Bradley). Common (with Capricorn) for convicted murders (Davis-Eshelman). Men have sons (Bradley). Best Actor (male) Oscar winners.
Observed Professional Interests: Counseling/therapy (bias of my files?). Food prep and entertainment! Writers. Actors (especially women).

Notebook #93 observations: Skilled {bs} artists, even when their motives are essentially innocent. The kind of person that is a natural at phone sales, for example.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: James K. Polk, U.S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Herbert Hoover

OSCARS: Emil Jannings (The Way of All Flesh), Robert Donat (Goodbye, Mr. Chips), Bing Crosby (Going My Way), Ray Milland (The Lost Weekend), Broderick Crawford (All the King's Men), Charlton Heston (Ben Hur), Lee Marvin (Cat Ballou), George C. Scott (Patton), Jane Fonda (Klute; Julia {!}), Jack Lemmon (Avanti!), Faye Dunaway (Network {!}), Robert Duvall (Tender Mercies), Marlee Matlin (Children of a Lesser God {!}), Tom Hanks (Philadelphia; Forrest Gump), Geoffrey Rush (Shine {!}), Halle Berry (Monster's Ball), Charlize Theron (Monster), Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)

MOON IN CANCER, the Crab (KEY: Feeling)

At one time or another, this sign has been characterized by a crab, two turtles, and a scarabeus beetle. The one common denominator of all of these is the hard shell worn on the outside, behind which Testudo, the Turtle, as one facet of this constellation, can conveniently withdraw when the going gets rough, and there remain impervious to attack.

Similarly, Cancer has his own special armor in his imaginary ego defenses. He becomes cocky in nature, exuding a convincing pride when backed into a corner. He has the powerful urge to take command, and try to find a place of acclaim for himself in the material world. There is a surprising amount of optimism and an almost mystical sense of hidden personal strength or invulnerability. Unfortunately, it is the rare example of Cancer that can claim much insight into his own personal motives, despite the solemn awareness of the phenomenal world that they display in their normally serious styles.

The physical presence is very impressive to the outsider. Lunar Cancer is generous, confident, persevering, vital, and imposing. Once he takes the chair, things somehow get moving, for his mental firmness, sharp organizational talents, and ability to make decisions are impressive. He can be very warm, demonstrative, and honest in his dealings, ever willing to listen sympathetically to the problems of those around him.

He generally remains sincere in his affections. He has inner wells of emotional strength, yet an insecurity of feeling. He may not entirely trust his own emotions, for they may overwhelm him. Cancer is not one to take chances with his feelings, so he is hesitant to give them full expression except in very intimate situations. His softer, very feeling side is at first timid, delicate, and when it blossoms it is a yielding flower of exquisite gentleness, tenderness, and sensitivity. His magnetic personality makes him very attractive to the opposite sex, but when emotional security is lacking it is difficult for him to make a success of a long-term relationship.

Cancer is no way afraid of public life, and in fact enjoys the limelight. He is superb in front of a crowd when he has their attention. When in the spotlight, he performs with color and flair. His sensitivity and image-forming ability lead him into art, the theater, music, painting, design, or literature, where he has considerable creative potential.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Leo

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 pm

SUMMARY (preliminary): Emotions intertwined with pride. Strong, noble, proud, natural leader, courageous, confident, practical, effective, indomitable. Dramatic; seldom pretentious. Gregarious (court of friends & admirers). Entertainer. Discriminating in romance. Needs warm, affectionate interaction; may retain aloof mask. Business over sentiment.
  1. Emotions intertwined with pride. Innate recognition of self-importance. "Don't tarnish the brass" bearing.
  2. Visible strength. Natural assumption of leadership duties. Dominating, command-oriented (military), decisive, industrious, courageous. POTENT, EFFECTIVE, INDOMITABLE.
  3. Pervasive regal power. Nobel manner, self-assured, impermeable. Statuesque.
  4. Dominates others emotionally (inadvertent steam-roller).
  5. Grasping reality is the key to Leo's power.
  6. Stubborn conservatism. Quiet, cool, reserved (high pain threshold?).
  7. Calmly intellectual, curious, with razor-sharp minds. Powers of retention sometimes astounding. Expressive.
  8. Deeply philosophical. (Uncommon among satirists.)
  9. In teaching (which can be in a conversation on the street!), will interrupt to explain something in agonizing detail for your own good because he is certain you can't perceive what he really means without so full an explanation.
  10. Practical, methodical, precise. Critical of all he handles (demanding). Discriminating.
  11. Deep moral nature - shuns profanity - luxury-loving. (Bradley)
  12. Highly dramatic, but seldom pretentious.
  13. Mellow-tempered, generally easy-going.
  14. Gregarious. Attracts many friends and admirers (Leo's "court").
  15. Loves to have visitors (not unannounced!), or be ringmaster of an evening's entertainment.
  16. In romance, highly discriminating in choice of partner.
  17. Needs a warm, affectionate interaction, but may have trouble dropping the cool, unaffected mask. Self-orientation can interfere with mutual understanding.
  18. May place a great emphasis on the business aspects of a relationship, to the detriment of the more sentimental side.
OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Statistically high for character traits "sensitive, witty, traveler." Low for PAINTERS.
Other stats: High for professional basketball players (Bradley), bus drivers (Paige). Longer life-span (Bradley). Men have daughters (Bradley).
Observation: Particular emphasis in my files on people in music and public appearance.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: William Henry Harrison, Franklin Pierce, William Howard Taft, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson
(All but Harrison and Taft were Democrats. Two died in office.)

OSCARS: Mary Pickford (Coquette), Lionel Barrymore (A Free Soul), Marie Dressler (Min & Bill), Laurence Olivier (Hamlet), Jose Ferrer (Cyrano de Bergerac), Cliff Robertson (Charly), Dustin Hoffman (Kramer vs. Kramer; Tootsie), Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment), Jodie Foster (The Accused; The Silence of the Lambs), Julia Roberts (Erin Brokovich), Adrien Brody (The Pianist), Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland {!}), Natalie Portman (Black Swan), Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

MOON IN LEO, the Lion (KEY: Potent)

Self-assured, cool, with a discriminating outlook, those born with the Moon in the Sun’s own sign are not too different from those born during a New Moon (Sun-Moon conjunction). Both reveal the regal power inherent in the lion that symbolizes this sign. The emotions are intertwined with the personal sense of pride.

The power within these individuals is only rarely to be doubted. Their very gait and manner breath a special nobility in their self-assurance which at times seems to say, “Don’t touch me,” or, “Don’t tarnish the brass.” They are impermeable. Calmly intellectual, with razor-sharp minds and a stubborn conservatism, these practical people can also be the most methodical. Their powers of retention are sometimes astounding.

Demonstrating the domination and natural sense of command of this Moon placement is the number of military leaders and politicians born under this heading. Lord Horatio Nelson was among the finest seamen in British history, winning his fame in the Battle of Trafalgar. King Louis XV of France, while indulgent and lascivious, also earned great military merits in his day. Japan’s Emperor Hirohito led his country to nearly unparalleled military power for a while, though Melvin Laird was to serve as Secretary of Defense to President Nixon in the closing years of the Vietnam action. Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin, John F. Kennedy, Edward Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Everett Dirksen, Willy Brandt, Cicero, Franz Josef, George Wallace, King Hassan II of Morocco, Oliver Cromwell, and Nikita Khrushchev joined all of the above in the list of eminent men with Leo Moons.

These people have an innate recognition of self-importance, or their Divine Right to lead and the natural assumption of leadership duties. Dramatic but seldom pretentious, the lunar Leo is precise, industrious, frequently demanding, and critical of all he handles. His grasp on reality is the key to his power.

In love, he is equally discriminating in his choice of a partner. Yet perhaps his own self-orientation interferes with mutual understanding, and he places too great an emphasis on the business aspects of marriage to the detriment of the more sentimental side. He loves to have people visit (but not unannounced!) or to be the ringmaster of an evening’s entertainment. Mellow-tempered, though curious and expressive, Leo attracts many friends and admirers in his time.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Virgo

SUMMARY (PRELIMINARY): Intellectual, strategic, analytical, calculating, data-driven, efficient. Intuitive, bizarrely illogical (moody, resistant). Plays victim & retaliates (abuse, betrayal). Service, loyal, devoted, contributing. Courageous. Innocent, simple, modest; expects respect. Romantic, flirtatious; shy. Too serious. Nervous sensitivity.
  1. CINDERELLA OF THE ZODIAC. Congenial, charming, warm personality. Gentle handmaiden who can tolerate the worst abuse. Friendly responsive. Sympathetic.
  2. Simple, modest, but expects respect from others.
  3. Capable, courageous, loyal, devoted.
  4. Stubborn. Under stress, moody and resistant.
  5. Romantic, probably marry early and repetitiously if necessary.
  6. Socializers, love parties. Pay much attention to partner, are flirtatious. Externally vain (?).
  7. Plays victim role. Critical, observant, considers decisions carefully. Judges others on the spot.
  8. Intellectual. Literary talents and interests dominate. Fluency in speech.
  9. More vocal than active, criticizing rather than trying to correct and often backing out when physical support is requested.
  10. Allergies (?), hypersensitive to texture, etc.
  11. With Venus-Jupiter aspects, appear VERY spoiled (while Sun in Virgo doesn't act like a spoiled child).
  12. Hygiene and pain-conscious, shy, blushes easily. (Bradley)
  13. Oriented to their immediate "environment" - are not stereotyped by tradition. (Bradley)
  14. Strong "purity" motif in Virgo. (Bradley)
  15. Tend to take life too seriously, should learn to laugh a little more. (Bradley)
  16. Leave it to Virgo to get the facts! (Bradley)
MORE STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Low for SPORTS CHAMPIONS ("New Champions" data set). High for CHAMPIONS (original set). [Whattaya make out of that?] Extremely high for traits "stubborn, courageous." Also high for "nervous, active, family ties, tenacious, leader," and low for "secretive."
Other Stats: High for astrologers overall; high for Tropical astrologers (more noticeably a Tropicalist placement than is Capricorn, though) [Eshelman]. Highest (significant > .05) for U.S. Secretaries of War & Defense.

Notebook #93 observations: Strong on service and contribution.
Garth Allen on Sir Richard Burton wrote:Moon in the constellation Virgo, further enlivened by an opposition to Mercury, was his Open-sesame to languages. Burton mastered a new language in six weeks and could pass as a native in that many months, or less. The Moon in Virgo imparts a razor-keen memory in addition to a way with words, a cleverness with phrases.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, George Bush, George W. Bush

OSCARS: Fredric March (Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde; Death of a Salesman), Humphrey Bogart (The African Queen), Simone Signoret (Room at the Top), Sidney Poitier (Lilies of the Field {!}), Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie {!}), Jack Nicholson (Chinatown; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), Peter Finch (Network), Geraldine Page (The Trip to Bountiful), Kate Winslet (The Reader {!}), Jean Dujardin (The Artist), Leonardo DiCaprio (Wolf of Wall Street)

NOTE to SELF: There's another long set of notes on Moon in Virgo in the notebook - I think it was the set from which the published interpretation was written. Consult at such time as this all gets rewritten.

MOON IN VIRGO, the Maiden (KEY: Efficiency)

Efficiency is the keynote when the Moon is in Virgo. Such people seem to have a knack for finding the most natural and efficient ways to solve problems, handle important tasks, and generally carry out a wide range of necessary details. As with its Gemini placement, the Moon is here colored by the nature of Mercury, so intellectually the individual certainly isn’t slow. Rather, there is a mental sharpness. He will usually be “on top of things.” It would be disadvantageous for anyone not to take the lunar Virgonian seriously once he has gotten interested in some topic.

In mercurial form, his intellect will be impressive. Virgo is capable of a display of much learning, though his actual academic background may have been surprisingly sparse. With the Moon in Mercury’s home sign (and exaltation), there is a powerful link between the conscious and unconscious minds, usually in the form of symbols which can be instantly understood. Virgo rapidly assimilates the multitude of details surrounding a new person, idea, or situation, and with equal speed leaps at the core meaning or underlying principle to enhance his understanding. The process is virtually instantaneous and may be shortsightedly credited to “an intuitive insight” or “a psychic flash” accordingly.

This person will be quite observant and critical, considering his decisions carefully and then acting on them decisively. He is fluent in speech, and literary expressiveness may be marked; no lesser figure than Shakespeare sported a Virgo Moon. Likewise, it gives interest in the fine arts, a trait shared by all of the Mutable constellations (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces).

The Moon’s constellation and aspects describe our feeling natures, and when this luminary is modified by Mercury we find feelings closely intermixed with intellect. As the part of our personalities that is formed in response to demands of the environment, a “screen” between the outer world and the true Self (Sun), the Moon also indicates how we distance ourselves from others – how one avoids intimacy by shielding his identity from those he meets. Virgo Moon people distance intellectually, the mind being one of the most efficient screens possible against emotional sharing. It is as though intellectually understanding a problem, situation – or another person in a relationship – makes it okay not to experience the same person or thing on a feeling level. Putting logic above feeling serves to increase the efficiency factor, and lunar Virgos don’t have to deal with one of their biggest concerns: a fear of non-response, a dread not of being refused but more often one of being ignored or overlooked.

Such a fear is certainly based on early life experiences. Virgos often have painful childhoods during which they are tormented, ridiculed, and made objects of other people’s fun. Throughout life, due to their naiveté, they tend to get used by others. In extreme cases they are subjected to abuse, humiliation, insults, rebuffs, and ostracization because they are not understood. Even as children they take life too seriously, and unless they learn to laugh and play more as they mature, they can experience health-depleting mental states ranging from overeating and alcoholism to periodic “crazy spells” when their minds reject Virgo’s compulsive rationalism and force the individual, for a few hours, into a subjective response pattern.

Like all Mutable sign Moons, a sort of “fantasy realm” is important to these Virgos. This is not a Neptunian, delusory world, though, so much as a parallel universe spawned by the subconscious, an alternative to the immediate present, a symbol world of their private creation.

Virgo is sociable, but not necessarily social. He loves mixing casually, and his congenial manners help him acquire many amiable contacts in a lifetime. People love to have him around, for Virgos are “good vibe” people. However, he isn’t afraid to be something of a “sore thumb.” Though able to sail through almost any social occasion with ease, he would much rather be devoting himself to study or research than partaking of the superficial fruits of socializing.

He tends to judge others on the spot, but doesn’t come across as judgmental. After all, if a personal criticism is delivered on an intellectual level, without and emotional charge, it is usually not offensive. Therefore, while few Virgos mince words, they appear very tactful.

This constellation has been labeled the “Cinderella of the Zodiac.” Characterized by a mildly idealistic air of innocence, this romantic type is also keenly service-conscious and willing to serve with devotion. Virgo needs very much to belong to someone – or something – and feels uncomfortable unless he has some way to express his profound devotion, whether to a person or cause. People with the Moon in Virgo are simple, unassuming, gently, friendly, responsive, patient, sympathetic, congenial, courteous, charming, and inoffensive. Yet their “Cinderella complexes” also make them very much at home when thrust for a while into an environment better than that to which they are accustomed, especially if Venus aspects Jupiter at birth.

Often considered odd, eccentric, or kinky, Virgos usually have strong interests in unusual topics or unorthodox subject matter. Their minds are hypersensitive and strongly responsive to impressions. Rather than following traditional stereotypes, preconceptions, and other people’s expectations, Virgo strives to perceive clearly, to tune into his immediate environment. This gives the impression of originality and lucid perspective.

Whereas their devotion to a cause has been cited, and Virgos often land into prestigious administrative or commercial positions, they really have little interest in the business world. Intellectual and human potential factors interest them far more. At times they can be astoundingly indifferent to practical situations in their vicinity, and life seems to go on despite them – or blithely indifferent to them!

A flirtatious streak provides entry to Virgo’s curious erotic side. Though their fantasy words give them the capacity for extended celibacy, they would rather not have to go that route for long. Their sexuality is important to them, often a way of reinforcing their identities. As might be expected from a mercurial star field, they are fine “sexual technicians,” but their allurements often go well beyond that. Nonetheless, their sex lives are private. Due to an air of innocence, outsiders rarely think to question them on the matter.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Libra

SUMMARY (Preliminary): Attractive, magnetic, charm (easily draws lovers). “Looking good” opens doors. Tease (self & others: entice, deny, gratify). Peace (courtesy, compromise); wants peaceful surroundings. Justice (righting wrongs). Determined, persists, passionate, shrewd. Emotionally efficient. Private; slow at self-disclosure. Independent, self-sufficient.
  1. Seductive personality (not only in sex). TEASE motif (Bruce Lee, etc.). Very attractive to opposite sex; magnetic; little trouble enticing lovers.
  2. Tries to strike peace via mediation and compromise. Master of finding common denominators.
  3. Agreeable on the surface. Soft-spoken manner, soothing, tactful. Entertaining, debonair, "winning personality."
  4. Desire for calm, likely to maintain tact despite personal irritation.
  5. INTENSE. PIERCING. Emotional and personal intensity. Glaring stare.
  6. Self-pleasuring, self-enjoyment. (But also, major capacity for repression or self-denial.) Sex is a matter dear to Libra.
  7. Physical beauty. Softness of appearance.
  8. Possessive. Prone to jealousy.
  9. Strong will and sense of determination. Perseverance.
  10. Feelings and motives run much deeper than shows. Sense of alienation. Self-disclosure comes slowly, sometimes with difficulty.
  11. What seems at first like independence is really a sense of alienation and compensatory emotional self-preservation by fiercely asserting some sort of "autonomy demand." (Emotionally efficient.)
  12. Subject to impatience. Low frustration tolerance.
  13. Poor memories.
  14. "Yes-men." (Fagan)
  15. Analgesis?
  16. Aura of glamor about their image.
  17. Suave, polished, charming, persuasive, graceful, courteous. (Fagan)
  18. Moves easily, softly, and without apparent effort among people. (Fagan)
  19. Addicted to finery, stylish attire, and even "fine-feathers." Usually in good taste, but sometimes in excess. (Fagan) [Most are definitely not this.]
  20. Not given to much exertion, easy-going, loves idling in elegant ease, prone to dalliance and poetic utterances when the mood takes them. (Fagan) [Not true of most of them.]
  21. WOMEN: Rather than endure the unpleasant consequences of a refusal, they allow themselves to be imposed upon and may even welcome it. (Fagan)
  22. MEN: At time of crisis, sometimes find themselves deserted and defenseless, often made the sacrificial victim, left to fact the attack alone. (Fagan)
  23. BLACK SHEEP of the zodiac! Capacity for being misunderstood and criticized is almost limitless. Inherent problem of social adjustment. (Bradley)
  24. Essentially introverted, "spiritual" but not "religious." (Bradley)
  25. Libra allows full play to feminine souls... (Bradley)
  26. LOVE OF PEACE - usually too visionary and least practical. (Bradley)
OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Extremely high for character trait "passionate." Also quite high for traits "cold" and "ambitious." Also low for "witty, devoted, active."
Other Stats: Shorter life-span (Bradley). Auto racers (Eshelman; all 33 drivers in Indy 500 one year). Men have sons (Bradley).
Observed Vocational Interests: Artists, hair stylists, good at meeting the public, model, clothing designer, commercial artist, interior designer.

Notebook #93 observations: Very dynamic, enthusiastic participants, but often biting off more than they can chew; i.e., eager to take something on, but not always coming through (perhaps because of how much they take on). I believe what is true here is that the Libra Moon makes them enthusiastic to take things on, and the rest of the chart determines whether (or how frequently) they come through on it.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Benjamin Harrison, Harry S Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter

OSCARS: Paul Muni (The Story of Louis Pasteur), James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy), Susan Hayward (With a Song in My Heart), Elizabeth Taylor (Suddenly Last Summer; Butterfield 8), Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins), Paul Scofield (A Man for All Seasons), John Wayne (True Grit), Art Carney (Harry & Tonto), Henry Fonda (On Golden Pond), Nicolas Cage (Leaving Las Vegas), Brie Larson (Room)

MOON IN LIBRA, the Balance

No word can describe Libra in any form better than intense, unless it would be piercing. These words apply not only to his stare, but to his emotional and personal intensity, too. Very much a sign of self-pleasuring, a Moon in Libra can give a capacity for strong jealousies and possessive attitudes, too.

Libra’s motives and feelings run much deeper than the agreeable surface figure may disclose. He is very self involved, perhaps to the point of secretiveness. When things do not go his way, he can quickly become irritated, though his desire for calm is likely to help maintain some measure of tact. Libra tries to strike a peace, often through weighing each side of an argument and forming a compromise. He is a master of finding common denominators between crossed perspectives! Averse to creating a scene, his soft-spoken manner is frequently the soothing key to mediation.

Sex is a matter very dear to the Libran, assuming other chart factors do not make him overly involved with his own shortcomings. He is very attractive to the opposite sex, and has little trouble enticing lovers. In romance as in anything else, he exhibits a strong will and sense of determination, a fierce independence and mighty perseverance.

Overall, the Libra Moon makes one charming and entertaining. The men are debonair and winning, the women delightful and impelling. An aura of glamour runs through the image of the individual with the Moon in Libra, explaining why sports figures, for instance, often have this Moon constellation even though the Sun in Libra avoids the physical sports arena to keep from getting hurt! Other major areas of achievement include artistic pursuits and human grooming, such as hairdressing.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Scorpio

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:13 pm

SUMMARY (Preliminary): Socially active party-people: good-natured, friendly, humor. Willing to be outlandish. Factually forth-right; emotionally cautious (withholding); senses others’ motives. Sexual volcanoes: built pressure needs explosive release. Sexually pragmatic. Frequent relationship drama; combative. Easy to anger (it passes). Bold, adventurous, restless, "try anything." Gossip (sometimes vindictive). Beliefs likely unorthodox.
  1. Socially active, "fun people" (party-people): good-natured, friendly, humor.
  2. Factually forthright, candid; but tends to be emotionally cautious, withholding, "not showing all their cards."
  3. Prone to gossip (sometimes vindictively).
  4. Frequent relationship drama. Combative.
  5. Adventurous, restless, "try anything once."
  6. Prone to form personal cliques to maintain autonomy, even in group autonomy.
  7. Music & composition marked.
  8. Philosophy & religion likely unorthodox.
  9. Phallic: Sexual volcanoes: built pressure needs explosive release. (Sexually pragmatic.)
  10. Easy to anger (it passes: another volcano-type release). Forgives; doesn't forget.
  11. Math aptitude/talent.
  12. True vision - a life "dream" - not passing fancies or ephemeral inspiration. (Bradley)
  13. Remarkable analytic ability - hidden motives seldom escape their cognizance. (Bradley)
  14. Prone to "SYNTHESIS" - easily mix politics with art or science. Seldom one-track minds. (Bradley) [Syncretic.]

OTHER STATISTICS:
    Gauquelin: Very high for character traits "combative" and "leader." Also significantly low for "poet" and high for "active."
    Other Stats: Longer life-span (Bradley). Men have daughters (Bradley). High for 91 heads of states (Eshelman). Low for satirists. Low for Best Actor (male, & combined sexes) Oscar winners.

NOTEBOOK #93: Ongoing relationship drama.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: James Madison, Gerald Ford

OSCARS: George Arliss (Disraeli), Anne Bancroft (The Miracle Worker), Julie Christie (Darling), Glenda Jackson (Women in Love; A Touch of Class), Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest {!}), Al Pacino (Serpico {!}; Scent of a Woman {!}), Nicole Kidman (Moulan Rouge, The Hours, To Die For)

MOON IN SCORPIO, the Scorpion

You can’t miss the Scorpion’s sting when the sun is in this constellation, but when the Moon is in Scorpio, the bite may be less noticeable – for a while. Here the Moon is in a constellation where it is not comfortable, and emotional expression is somewhat guarded so that the Moon in Scorpio is more withdrawn and reserved than the solar counterpart, often unwilling or unable to show his own weaknesses and drop defenses. This Moon position shapes independent personalities, frequently emotionally shielded from the world around them.

It is the candor and bluntness of Scorpio that makes it easy to recognize, but this does not always leave Scorpios as bad off as it could. In fact, lunar Scorpios are among the most welcome guests at any party, for these are the “fun people,” good natured and friendly (though often erecting walls as intimacy looms near), and willing to do almost anything for a good time.

An edgy frustration extends below the surface. Social involvement and being in the middle of the heavy action give them an ‘out’ for the pent-up energies and need for emotional release which otherwise might seek more destructive outlets, such as excesses in drinking or sadistic sexual expression. An adventuring streak and the urge to “try anything once” are present, and we might recall that the great Harry Houdini, perhaps the gutsiest daredevil of all time, had this lunar position. Scorpio is always after the next experience, always ready to spring from event to event. He is restless, impatient, and prone to form or join cliques in order somehow to maintain the strength of a group. Sexually, the drives may be irrepressible.

Lunar Scorpios have a ruthless intellect, just as biting as their words, but their humor adds a light touch to lucid powers of expression. Music and composition talents are apparent in this passionate lunar placement, for it occurred at the births of such artists as Wolfgang Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Louis Alter, Cesare Siepi, Siegfried Borris, Arturo Toscanini, Max Reger, and Franz von Liszt.

Philosophical and religious beliefs, when not overlooked in Scorpio’s scan of the world, may be unorthodox, for these are lovers of both physical and intellectual freedom. While easy to anger, Scorpio also forgives quickly. A high regard for the integrity and worth of others makes it difficult for him to hold a grudge.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Sagittarius

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:14 pm

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY: Higher & higher (ambition, spiritual aspiration, flight). Optimism (adapting with positivism). Courteous, gracious, natural hosts. Seeks to impress (needs validation, approval). Devoted to ideals & values (political; nationalistic, tribal; loves history). Dramatic (actors). Mercenary. Strong family ties.
  1. HIGHER AND HIGHER (arrow motif)
  2. Infatuation with weaponry (military commanders, soldiers, murderers, sadists) - but not so sadistic as some other signs. (STATS: High for Gauquelin PHYSICIANS)
  3. Flight (pilots, astronauts)
  4. Philosophical and religious orientation, great spiritual goals. (Purity motif marks an obsessive-compulsive personality style.)
  5. Most ambitious, climbing, pass-others-by type in zodiac. Strivings for notoriety. Usurp power, wealth, and titles in search for regard. (STATS: Significantly high-scoring for more professions in Gauquelin data than any other Moon-sign.)
  6. Political (including the religious fanatics who are reformers and zealous converters). Nationalistic ("My country right or wrong.")
  7. Hostesses and hosts.
  8. Masterful in business. Tireless drive, dogged perseverance, extremely practical and materialistic. Achievement is all.
  9. True to some preconceived "form" or "pattern" hence often rigid and inflexible. (Pickier than Virgo.)
  10. Sagittarius Moon is a puppy which will bark for attention.
  11. Open to intellectual stimulation.
  12. Infatuation with history.
  13. Strong dramatic interests. (STATS: High for Gauquelin ACTORS.)
  14. Very low sexual appetite.
  15. Seeks to impress people, to get validation from others for their existence.
  16. Non-committal (withholding information). Never know where you are with them. (Desire not to offend or close any doors?)
  17. Strong family ties (blood-family).
  18. Mercenary.
OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: High for PAINTERS. Extremely high for trait "powerful." Also high for "sensual, courteous," and low for "stubborn."
Other Stats: High for U.S. Presidents & also Vice Presidents.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Q. Adams, Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, Chester A. Arthur

OSCAR: James Stewart (The Philadelphia Story), Gary Cooper (Sergeant York; High Noon), Joan Fontaine (Suspicion), Loretta Young (The Farmer's Daughter), Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday), Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gantry), Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night), Cher (Moonstruck), Michael Douglas (Wall Street {!}), Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs), Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry; Million Dollar Baby), Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

(Some notes/observations from another thread, for consideration later...)
"...{some of} the most optimistic Sagittarians I know (with moments of bubbly) are double Sagittarians (one guy, one gal)... I find a number of Sagittarian Moons (not Suns) that have stretches of this bubbly quality and - here's the interesting thing - the deeper they are in real, diagnosed mental illness, the more likely they are to have high-energy, defiant, and (yes) bubbly expressions. Over-compensation? Maybe. But, more generally, I think, it being a Moon sign, that I'd call it adaptation through positivism (not exactly the same thing as over-compensation since, say, an Aquarius Moon in the same place would be "adaptation through forcing oneself further outside the mold," or some such thing). But I do have quite a few Sag Moon females (I can't find a any men in my personal collection) that are cyclothymic... Most of the Sag Moons, though - the healthy and less healthy ones - are devoted to ideals and values. I'm talkin' from George Washington to Adolf Hitler in the public sector, several personal examples that are culture and family supportive, etc. (This resembles Moon-Jupiter effects in mundane astrology.)"

MOON IN SAGITTARIUS, the Archer

At least for outward purposes, those with the Moon in Sagittarius live unimpeachable lives of propriety, dignity, and decorum, appearing impenetrable though cordial. They work hard to make friends, because positive, nurturing relationships are important to them. No other Moon sign has such an insistent drive to achieve, to fulfill an internally pressing sense of mission, to follow through whatever scheme destiny may have planned for them. They try hard, and for the effort of doing their best (and more), they could use a little extra appreciation from time to time just for being, and for sticking with their private set of values and ethics – something very few others even attempt with any consistency these days.

The Moon in this constellation displays the arrow symbolism far better than does the Sun’s Sagittarius placement. For instance, there is an infatuation with weaponry, shown by the great military figures with this placement (Wallenstein, Bismark, Hitler, Foch, Bradley, Patton), but also by the many murderers and sadists (Hitler, Neville Heath, Goebbels, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sirhan B. Sirhan, Duke Albert Victor, Ian Brady, Adolf Eichmann, William Heirens).

We can consider the actual flight of the arrow. Is it a coincidence that Neil Armstrong, Yuri Gagarin, Charles Lindbergh, and John Glenn, all distinguished claimants to aviation “firsts,” all had the Moon in Sagittarius?

Even philosophically we can trace the great spiritual goals of the high-flung shaft, for Billy Graham, Sayo Kitamura, Pope John XXIII, Krishnamurti, and other modern figures of a similar ilk are still more examples of the Sagittarian Moon personality.

However, it is in daily life that the “higher and higher” symbolism really takes root, and fully expresses the arrow emblem. Spurred by jovian strivings for advance, the Moon in Sagittarius has to be one of the most climbing, pass-others-by characteristics a chart could show, not always without the undercurrent of paranoia which accompanies the highly competitive professions. There is a primary need for ambitious achievement. Lunar Sagittarius may go out of his way to usurp power, wealth, titles, or regard. Even the religious fanatics and evangelists must be grouped with politicians. They work more to convert people to their own causes, thus gaining personal power, than because of pure, idealistic faith.

In business, they are masterful. Alongside his tireless drive and dogged perseverance, we find the traits of an extremely practical, materialistic figure to whom achievement is all. He can be rigid and inflexible, always true to some preconceived “form” or “pattern.” Notice that all four of the Mutable constellations (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces) display this concern with form, precision, and extreme attention to details.

Generally, open to intellectual stimulation, one of his favorite topics is history. To him, everything is related to the past, potentially through previous incarnation.

On a personal level these are the elegant hosts who know how to entertain with a flourish. Their mannerisms reflect a keen sense of poignancy and the dramatic. There is a constant air of propriety and refinement about them, even a “hands off” aura that appears more unwitting than feigned. Notice that their intent is often quite the opposite!
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Capricorn

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:14 pm

SUMMARY (Preliminary): Restless, confrontational. Resists persuasion, authority, & conformity. Sharp, unconventional mind. Socially charming; not self-disclosing. Humor, prankish, outlandish. Sexually attractive; wild libido. Identifies with the fringe, “bad boy/girl” (but essentially wholesome). Dark, grotesque, shocking, disturbing style (loves dark occult images). Vulnerable to dark moods. Often severe childhoods or early loss.
  1. Restless, confrontational, fiercely independent, resist authority, demands autonomy.
  2. Thoughts are often unconventional, running against expectations.
  3. Identification with the fringe (wilderness) of convention. “Bad boy/girl” (misbehaving) image (e.g., grown up juvenile delinquent) despite essential wholesomeness.
  4. Sharp mind, capable intellect, active thinker.
  5. Persuasive rhetoric, talented in lingual skills.
  6. PROMETHEAN (Ea archetype). Often try to gift mankind with their own ideas and solutions. "Savior complex."
  7. Sociable (charming); not self-disclosing. Wit, humor; prankish, unpredictable.
  8. Sexually attractive. Extreme libido, steaming sexuality. Enjoys good opinion of friends & colleagues (feared or held in awe more often than disliked).
  9. Artists (musicians) invoke the grotesque, outlandish, or shocking from the outskirts of convention. Want to DISTURB people.
  10. Vulnerable to depression & gloom (dark moods).
  11. Interest in deep, serious subjects.
  12. Occult interests, especially with dark or grotesque imagery.
  13. Difficulty giving vent to feelings in expressing their love. [?]
  14. Resists persuasion and conformity. (Skeptical of those who "oversell.")
  15. Lack of emotional understanding. (Bradley)
  16. Discontent and escape (juvenilish). (Bradley)
  17. Economy (in words and music). FRUGALITY. (Bradley)
  18. Prohibitionistic - persistent - compensatory.' (Bradley)
  19. Positive for political power, though often taken to the extreme of infamy or tragedy.
  20. A few actual monsters and real-life demons (e.g., Manson, etc.).
  21. Often severe childhoods or early loss of mother, troublesome upbringing.
Notebook #93 observations: Often there is the strong Rim tendency to be in trouble with respect to their lives and circumstances, to "push it" and come up short.

OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Statistically high for SPORTS CHAMPIONS (the "New Champions" data set). Low for JOURNALISTS. Very high for trait "nervous." Also high for "traveler" and low for "kind, secretive."
Other stats: Shorter life-spans (Bradley). Men have sons (Bradley). Low for 91 heads of state (Eshelman). Low for satirists. Highest for 100 convicted murders (Davis-Eshelman). With Taurus, one of two highest for Best Actor (female) Oscar winners (though Sun in Cap is significantly LOW).
A study of 40 supercentarians had the Moon in Gemini 6 times (about twice expectancy). The Sun was also in Gemini more than any other sign (8), although its companion high frequency in Taurus raises the question of whether there is a non-zodiacal artifact present. The Moon was only in Capricorn once.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Richard Nixon [2 died in office, 1 resigned in disgrace]
(Three of the four were Republicans, just slightly more than expected. Of those three, two died in office and one was forced to resign - and Wilson came close to the same kind of pressure for entirely different reasons! Not a particularly good Moon-sign for U.S. Presidents; and only 1 VP has had this.)

OSCARS: Norma Shearer (The Divorcee), Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfeld; The Good Earth {!}), Vivien Leigh (Gone With the Wind; A Streetcar Named Desire {!}), Paul Lukas (Watch on the Rhine), Sophia Loren (Two Women), Gene Hackman (French Connection), Diane Keaton (Annie Hall), Jessica Tandy (Driving Miss Daisy), Jessica Lange (Blue Sky), Susan Sarandon (Dead Man Walking), Robert Benigni (Life is Beautiful), Russell Crowe (Gladiator), Denzel Washington (Training Day), Helen Mirren (The Queen), Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)

MOON IN CAPRICORN, the Sea-Goat
[The following notes are excerpted from The New Instant Astrologer by myself and Tom Stanton. I have long considered that it needed revision. I post it here substantially as originally written until I complete that rewrite.]
  1. Deep, profound.
  2. Candid, forthright, intellectually open. Above all, strives for profound truth.
  3. Sharp minds, capable intellects. Thoughts often unconventional and innovative, open to examining bizarre or unusual topics.
  4. Can casually shrug off the bothersome.
  5. Often they have esoteric interests.
  6. Some people mistakenly judge them superficial.
  7. Cool, usually withholding (emotionally, or information). Most find it difficult to give open vent to their emotions, to open themselves intimately to others. Their feelings may be quite strong, but due to a hesitancy in expressing themselves, others are usually unaware of the submerged warmth.
  8. Generally quite attractive to the opposite sex.
  9. Skeptical of those who try too hard to impress
  10. Persuasive rhetoric, natural speakers.
  11. “Savior complex” (cf. Ea): try to gift humankind (i.e., their personal circle of friends) with ideas, imaginative concepts, and insights.
  12. Tend to become highly predictable.
  13. Subject to despondency, depression, melancholy.
  14. Self-sufficient, scientific, sensible.
  15. Enjoy the good opinion of their friends and colleagues.
  16. "Capricorn is the traditional sign of freemasonry and sacred, recondite mysteries of the human soul, which, like the emotions of those with the Moon here placed, lie buried at the innermost level of human awareness."[/list[
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Aquarius

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:15 pm

SUMMARY (Preliminary): Instinct for interconnection (all things) & breadth (diverse interests) as sources of genius. Intellectually rebellious, curious, investigative, futuristic. Science, analysis, discovery. Free spirit + social responsibility. Sexually curious; strange marital conditions. Humane: sympathetic to others’ troubles. Social idealist, reformer. Avoids “herd mind.” Occultists.
  1. A specie of genius (intellectually rebellious, roving, curious, investigative) based on an instinct for interconnection: Knows how vastly (universally) all things are connected.
  2. Feels the weight of this inter-connection as a personal responsibility: It informs their social views. (Messiah quality.)
  3. Inquiring, original, futuristic, seeking novelty, needing variety (“will try anything twice”).
  4. Free spirit infused with sense of social responsibility. (Much travelling.) (STATS: High for Gauquelin character trait "traveler.")
  5. Humane. Sensitive, sympathetic, endearing soul always responsive to the troubles of others, wanting to lend a helping hand. Attuned to deeply sensitive musical and artistic creations. Empathic with agony. (STATS: High for Gauquelin trait HUMANE.)
  6. Social idealist & reformer, especially regarding connection & universal liberty. Agent of social/cultural change.
  7. River Nile Delta. BREADTH of perspective: Genius arises from diverse interests in seemingly unrelated topics (cross-discipline expertise), comprehending their connection. Many are “Renaissance Man” type of genius. (Knows something about almost everything.)
  8. Intuitive planner, inspired intellectual.
  9. Knows there has to be more to life than the outer veneer suggests, so is in constant search of deeper, hidden causes.
  10. Tolerant, not easily riled. Views world with little judgment.
  11. Enormous great musical ability (alters culture). Low for composers.
  12. Psychic, occultists: mind sees beneath surface appearances to deeper causes.
  13. Discouraged a little too easily.
  14. OCCUPATIONS: Writing (common vernacular, Bradley-style), musical endeavors, social work, "helping professions" are good areas. (STATS: Very high for Gauquelin character trait "witty.")
    -- Folksy, corny sense of humor.
  15. Sexually curious, experimental. Very approachable sexually. Often strange marital conditions (e.g., lack of age-sensitivity).
  16. Most "scientific" of all constellations. Delights in "discovery" - inventive, analytic. (Bradley)
  17. Shy away from complex Weltanschauung. (Bradley)
  18. "Magnetic" appeal to "Groups," yet characteristically "set apart" socially. (Bradley)
  19. Keeps distance from “herd mind” behaviors. NOT interested in latest trends or fads. “Popular” and “trendy” seems offensive to Aquarius as “sheep mentality.” - Commonly seem geeky & unhip on fashions, don’t buy into fads until they are past, etc.
  20. Talkative. Stubborn.
  21. Philosophically biased toward non interfering with another's life. Won't budge from their own position and therefore often trample on others in the process.
  22. Interest in space: astronomy, astrology, sci fi, etc.
DUPLICATE:
(A near duplicate of the above is given here - there had been edits of some importance, to be sorted out later.)
[*] A specie of genius (intellectually rebellious, roving, curious, investigative) based on an instinct for interconnection: Knows how vastly (universally) all things are connected.
[*] Feels this inter-connection as a personal responsibility: It informs their social views.
[*] BREADTH of perspective: Genius arises from diverse interests (cross-discipline expertise), comprehending their connection. “Renaissance Man” type of genius.
[*] Inquiring, original, futuristic, seeking novelty, needing variety (“will try anything twice”).
[*] Science-minded; analytic. Delights in exploration, discovery, invention.
[*] Free spirit infused with sense of social responsibility. (Much travelling.)
[*] Sexually curious, experimental. Very approachable sexually. Often strange marital conditions (e.g., lack of age or race sensitivity).
[*] Humane. Sympathetic response to others’ troubles, wanting to help.
[*] Sensitive, excitable, empathic with agony.
[*] Social idealist & reformer: Agent of social/cultural change.
[*] Keeps distance from “herd mind” behaviors. NOT interested in latest trends or fads. “Popular” and “trendy” seems offensive to Aquarius as “sheep mentality.” - Commonly seem geeky & unhip on fashions, don’t buy into fads until they are past, etc.
[*] Occultists: mind sees beneath surface appearances to deeper causes.
[*] Talkative.
[*] Interest in space: astronomy, astrology, sci fi, etc.[/color]

STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Very significantly low for "likes family ties." High for trait "traveler."
Other statistics: High for 91 heads of states, but low for U.S. Presidents (none!) [Eshelman studies]. Longer life-span (Bradley). Men have daughters (Bradley).

(from another thread mostly on Sun in Aquarius)
Jim Eshelman wrote:What I notice most about the scientists (besides their deep investment in science) is their versatility, their cross-discipline interests and expertise... I have long thought that Aquarius' particular genius is not just in the fact that they are, indeed, often geniuses, but especially in their wide interest in diverse, often seemingly unrelated, topics. Aquarians have breadth.

In fact, I think a general theme of Aquarius, which binds together so much else about the constellation, is this instinct for interconnection. Aquarians instinctively know just how vastly all things are interconnected. This informs their social views, integrates both the "sea" and "space" themes, and much more - especially in the idea space.

This is equally true of Aquarius Moon, BTW. In fact, this rounded, cross-discipline expertise is the quality usually called "Renaissance Man," and the figures that always top the list of "Renaissance Men" are all - all! - Aquarius Moons. Think Da Vinci and Michelangelo, Benjamin Franklin, and others. You can count on them to know something (usually just enough to have the correct kernel of the subject) about almost anything and almost everything. (In a totally different way, I have to include J. Edgar Hoover in the same description, not as a Renaissance Man but as tending to know just enough about almost everyone and almost everything.) [...]

Notice that they aren't necessarily liberals. Consider Patrick Moore, even Antonin Scalia, a couple of the writers above, certainly Robert Bork. They are foremost their own person, following their own line of insight, their own path. It's just that their lines of thought (and especially that theme of interconnectivity) leads them to be liberals much more often.

And I really don't know whether to consider Aquarian Osama bin Laden as a conservative or a liberal in his own context - but, again, his instinct, his magic, was in understanding network and interconnectivity!
OBSERVATION: "INTEREST IN THE NEW." Aquarius Moons are known for being "interested in the new," the progressive, the innovative, the "ahead of the curve." But what exactly does this mean? For example, Aquarius Moon is usually (almost emphatically) not interested in the latest trends. They commonly seem geeky and unhip on fashions, don't have (surprise!) the latest popular electronics, tend to only adopt fashion and other trends when a fad has passed (and others have "moved on" to something else). - The explanation is that "current trends," "hip," and "fads" point to exactly the sort of thing Aquarius Moon distances himself or herself from, because they aren't truly innovative. They are "herd mind" behaviors. They may even be offensive to Aquarius. "Fad, popular, hip" are nearly pejoratives in the Aquarius lexicon. - OTOH there is profound interest and captivated curiosity in things that are beyond the horizon: molecular-level data storage, for example, and other things that would be pure science fiction if they didn't actually exist. Aquarius is invested in progressive thought, and has behaviors that are "outside of the box" - but that specifically means that they don't identify with the hip, popular, faddish, and trendy, which they consider the best example of being inside the box of sheep mentality.

MUSIC: Is it only me (prejudiced by my own Aquarius Moon), or do leading Aquarius Moon music performers have an almost unrealistic magnetism and power reaching beyond reason, pushing it "outside the box" in its own class? - I'm thinking of Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Prince, Leonard Cohen. (I'm not really inclined to include Billy Ray Cyrus in the same list, but that could be my prejudice: He did, after all, completely rewrite the face of a whole genre of music, going triple platinum along the way.)

Observed Vocational Interests:
1. Most characterized by a multi-faceted career base, one with many simultaneous dynamics occurring.
2. Many astrologers.
3. Considerable involvement in writing and publishing - especially the publishing end.
4. Considerable involvement in evolution of human relationship patterns and, more broadly, human consciousness / potential.
5. Many teachers (is this a general Hub Moon tendency?)

U.S. PRESIDENTS: {none}

OSCRS: Warner Baxter (Old Arizona), Wallace Beery (The Champ), Ginger Rogers (Kitty Foyle), Jennifer Jones (The Song of Bernadette), Joan Crawford (Mildred Pierce), Ronald Colman (A Double Life), Shirley Booth (Come Back Little Sheba), Audrey Hepburn (Roman Holiday), Grace Kelly (The Country Girl), Ernest Borgnine (Marty), Joanne Woodward (The Three Faces of Eve), Robert DeNiro (Raging Bull), Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner's Daughter), Ben Kingsley (Gandhi), F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus), Paul Newman (The Color of Money), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote)

MOON IN AQUARIUS, the Water-Carrier

Here is a sensitive, sympathetic soul, interested in the troubles of others and wanting to lend a helping hand. Behind this generosity with time and attention is perhaps the healthiest attitude of all: the ability to accept others as they are, judging good and bad only in terms of happiness and self-fulfillment, rather than socially imposed moralities.

To know an individual with the Moon in Aquarius is to know an often troubled, serious individual, yet one who understands human nature well. When injured, he tends to draw away from the world, retreating within himself to seek perspective and understanding. He is tolerant and more easily wounded than riled, often viewing the world through highly permissive, nonjudgmental eyes. Some feel he should come to grips with the stern practicalities of life rather than live in his somewhat childlike world of spontaneous enthusiasm and constant appreciation of the wonders that surround him – but Aquarius knows better! His naturally intellectual outer side co-exists with very profound emotional insights and deep-seated feelings. Yet his is a guarded profundity and protected emotional vulnerability that only shows in the safety of allowed intimacy.

Persons with the Moon in Aquarius can be quite entertaining. There is often musical ability, or at least appreciation of music. Their sensitivity often results in highly developed intuitive potential, and they are very interested in astrology and related studies. Some of the finest astrologers of all time have been born in quantity with the Moon in Gemini and Aquarius.

With this inspired intellectual, mental accomplishment comes not from exhaustive study, but from the ability to grasp the concept behind whatever he encounters. The word “genius” frequently is applied to those with the Moon here, and seems fitting if the names da Vinci, Bach, Goethe, Michelangelo, and Benjamin Franklin mean anything. It was Franklin, one of the last true Renaissance men, who verifies what is seen in the others, the key to Aquarian ingenuity. It stems not from outstanding mental capacity, but rather from a broad interest span covering a wide range of topics, along with the ability to integrate all fields of consideration into one’s normal creative and decision-making processes.

To the uninformed, lunar Aquarius is a sexual paradox, seeming at one time quite experimental, and at another very conservative. In truth, these people are most orthodox, even reserved, in sexual preferences. However, they have an intellectual fascination that covers a broad range of sexual interests and unusual marital conditions. They may pick partners many years removed from them in age, for instance. In times of doubt, their curiosity may lead to considerable experimentation, though their true desires tend to lie in more conservative practices and conditions.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Pisces

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm

[After The New Instant Astrologer was released, I began reorganizing my notes on Sidereal Moon-signs - which I knew hadn't gotten the same quality of attention in the book as had the Sun-sign interpretations. The following bullet points represent my "next generation" attempt. These haven't been fully vetted for accuracy against sufficient examples, and are to be regarded as a work in progress and notes toward a better treatment of Moon-sign interpretations.]

SUMMARY (Preliminary): Most truly themselves when being someone else. Dramatizes a personal fiction; "big fish" confidence (self-important, airs?). Love having a "secret side." Divas. Emotionally driven (haunted). Fascinated with the unknown. Religious thinking style. Faith, commitment to beliefs or vision. Judgmental. Hardened personal reality (stuck patterns).
  1. Never more truly themselves than when they are being someone else.
  2. Dramatizes a personal fiction of their own ego; actors in their own melodrama. Projects aura of power and self-determination. (May play "big shot" or "big fish.") (Self-important, airs, affected manner.)(Develops cult following?)
  3. Relishes thrill of having a "secret side" to themselves. (Fagan: "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" sort of existence is possible.)
  4. Fascination with the unknown or hidden. Explorers.
  5. Religious, mystical, ritualized interests & style.
  6. Emotionally driven (often haunted by demons or history). Compulsive (ritualized).
  7. Emotionally (psychically) vulnerable, easily imprinted, easily wounded.
  8. Mental faculties sensitive, senses finely honed. [???]
  9. Reliance on faith, deeply committed to specific beliefs; unshakable confidence and optimism (cf. gamblers).
  10. Personal idealism (by which some overcome phenomenally negative conditions).
  11. Refuses to accept a problem's existence, thereby relegating it to oblivion. (Don't dwell on problems in these cases, because they are strongly involved with other things.)
  12. Judgmental (defensive). Committed (devoted) to their point of view; difficult to dislodge from it (except by someone who draws even more of their devotion).
  13. Aesthetic, sensitive, artistic. Musical, painters, playwrights, poets. (STATS: High for Gauquelin MILITARY MUSICIANS.)
  14. Drawn to the imaginative, surrealistic, and creative.
  15. Divas (in both the literal and colloquial sense of the word).
  16. Wanderlust, love of travel.
  17. Passion to teach others. "Missionaries."
  18. A mystical, subjective approach to life and living. Interest in the occult. Ability to dramatize and lend color. Love to make a production out of everything. (Bradley)
  19. IDEALISTS - VISIONARIES - ROMANTICISTS. (Bradley)
  20. Easy capacity for celibacy or confined, prosaic sex. (Cf. monastic?) However, many indulge vivid fetishes, costuming, bondage rituals, S&M as excitement of arousal. )"Craving and concealment go hand in hand." - (Fagan))
  21. See & consider: Sun in Pisces Notes 6, 9?, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18 (+trouble having fun) [NB - Numbers are from original notebook, not the list on this page.]

OTHER STATISTICS:
Gauquelin: Very low for "dreamer." Very high for "tenacious." Also significantly low for "powerful, charming, sensitive."

OBSERVATION: Like Pisces Suns (but less so), Pisces Moon boasts quite a collection of musical performers (especially pop music performers) who rightly deserve the designation "diva." Besides literal examples, such as Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti, we find singers like Della Reese and charismatic business "divas" like Steve Jobs. Magnetic, compelling charisma is in no short demand - people falling short of the "diva" ranking but still boasting it include the likes of Jim Jones, Heinrich Himmler, and Antonio Banderas.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: John Adams

OSCARS: Charles Laughton (The Private Life of Henry VIII), Marlon Brando (On the Waterfront {!}; The Godfather {!}), Patricia Neal (Hud), Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady), Ellen Burstyn (Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore), John Voight (Coming Home), Sally Field (Norma Rae, Places in the Heart), William Hurt (Kiss of the Spider Woman), Jeremy Irons (Reversal of Fortune), Kathy Bates (Misery {!}), Holly Hunter (The Piano), Helen Hunt (As Good As It Gets), Kevin Spacey (American Beauty)

MOON IN PISCES, the Fish

Pisces Moon people are easy to like in a social context. Their public image is most ingratiating, and when backed into a corner (as occurs on occasion) they have a way of making their adversaries appear the villains. Be wary of taking sides if you value fair play! These fishy characters, charming as they may be, are quite talented in feigning innocence to meet their own ends. An air of propriety coupled with genuine niceness usually characterizes them, but their fondness for tomfoolery, concealment, and deceit, however innocent in intent, has won them enemies or at least cost them allies.

Any change in the known state of affairs can disorient them quickly. Vague generalities are fine and dandy, but once they have solid specifics that they feel they can count on, change and innovation are avoided. This over-caution with patterns is one reason Pisceans often appear too deadly serious for their own good, and have trouble having fun. They tend to conjure up their own problems, creating rigid patterns that are difficult to break.

A statistical examination of luminary placements at the births of 2,492 eminent clergymen in 1949 showed a preponderance of Pisces Moons. While history is filled with significant characters who attest to the orthodox religious nature of lunar Pisceans, we cannot deny the mystical side of the constellation and the intense fascination for the unknown and vague that it bestows. Their interest in the mysterious also makes them explorers and investigators.

Pisceans are driven by powerful sensual urges and a strong desire for noninterference and prerogative. Their mental faculties are sharp, their senses astute, and they enter any adventure enthusiastically. Yet, being blessed with unshakable faith in themselves, they tend to over-estimate the odds in their favor, and sometimes end up defeating their own ends. Nonetheless, like the Piscean Sun individuals, they display an irrepressible idealism that can take some of the most atrocious chart conditions and turn them into creative advantages.

An aura of emotional self-determination is one Pisces feels he must constantly project. Defensive, a little judgmental in effect, he dramatizes his own ego in his imagination and becomes an actor in the melodrama of his own life. This makes him seem covert, secretive, and artificial; indeed, his imagination provides his mode of emotional distancing through fantasy, and confines sexual responses to prosaic patterns in many cases. Yet the Piscean is being nearly as open with others as with himself on the question of who he is, or who he is trying to be; he can be forgiven for not having a clearer perspective on it himself. The lunar Piscean appears highly individualistic and decisive in the way he creates roles for himself.

Esthetic awareness, artistry, sensitivity, and general creativity round out the list of Pisces’ favorable traits. They are musical people, painters, sculptors, playwrights, and poets, filling the world with beautiful products of their natural talent for imagery and creative expression.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Moon in Aries

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 8:18 pm

PRELIMINARY SUMMARY: Autonomous, independent, self-sufficient, competitive. Sentiment yields to practicality; cautious with intimacy. Sexually bold, passionate, pragmatic. Assertive (pushy), efficient, decisive, contrary, opinionated (adamant certainty). Respected, easily takes charge, leads. Business instincts, opportunistic.
  1. Maintains a powerful autonomy where feelings are concerned. Emotional responses guarded. Rarely speaks about feelings.
  2. Sexually bold, assertive, passionate. Women often are sexually malish in their aggression, need for rapid gratification, sexual pragmatism, etc.
  3. Hesitant about intimacy, erecting false airs or acting outlandishly nasty to prevent intimacy. Socially aloof, distancing.
  4. Sentiment yields to PRACTICALITY, even at crest of personal tragedy.
  5. Their nature is exciting, though, dynamic, impulsive, maybe rude, hard-hitting, "paves the way." Intensity and adamant certainty of manner makes others step aside.
  6. Personality bent toward the IMMEDIATE & EFFICIENT.
  7. Organizational and motivational ability. Establishes solid groundwork then acts decisively.
  8. IMPATIENT, hurrying. Rapid metabolism. Successful in business due to steady progress and opportunism. AUTHORITATIVE. [STATS: But low on GAUQUELIN trait "powerful."]
  9. Easily distracted - can't trudge through one task very long without interruption or distraction. (Can also take forever to decide to do something.)
  10. Usually energetic and productive late in life.
  11. TECHNICAL orientation (math, mechanics, etc.)
  12. Contrary, opinionated. Acts intolerant of other views. Won't easily acknowledge errors.
  13. Will fight insistently to get what they want because they can't stand to lose (at least has to rationalize it away).
  14. Respected more than admired - only self to blame for this.
  15. Disruptors of status quo.
  16. Excellent speaking voice.
  17. Fatalism regarding supernormal powers.
  18. Analytic minds. Can "see through" almost any scheme, trait, trend, etc. OBJECTIVE THINKERS. (Bradley)
  19. Inclined to die violent deaths. "Accidentitis." Suicide rates high in Aries. Always a "troubled mind." (Bradley) [STATS: Short life-span.]
  20. Aries is CYCLOTHYMIC (syntonic). (Cf. Manilius.) "Ups and downs," "heights and depths," "Mania-Depression." Roller-coaster. (Bradley)
  21. As authors, enjoy "intellectual freedom," so are unhesitant to be unconventional in view and subject matter. Aries can see "men's real wants, not only luxury." (Bradley)
  22. (Said of Aries-Moon C.G. Jung:) "Jung's friends will all agree that he was a man of most positive decision. He would weigh up a problem with care and without hurry; but when he did give his answer it was usually final."
STATISTICS:
GAUQUELIN: Significantly frequent for MILITARY. Very high for "witty." Also significantly high for "nice, kind, not sensual, not devoted."
Low for 91 heads of state (Eshelman)
Highest for U.S. Secretaries of State (surpassing even Aries Suns).
Highest for U.S. Vice Presidents (ties with Sagittarius).
Poor showing for composers
High for Sidereal astrologers (Eshelman)
Men have sons (Bradley)
Observed Professional Interests: Computers and other electronics technology (include Les Paul!). Nurses and related therapeutic emphasis.
ACCIDENTS (Carter, 168 cases): Lowest (i.e., Tropical Taurus; this may or may not translate to Sidereal Aries)

Garth Allen articles on Aries: http://solunars.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5107

Notebook #93 observations: Tend to be reclusive as a device for ensuring their autonomy. Often brooding and less than fully communicative (i.e. bad on self-disclosure on emotional issues, not inclined to be reflective with respect to their own motives, etc.). Many display a moderate (or worse) substance abuse problem.

U.S. PRESIDENTS: Zachary Taylor, James A. Garfield, Warren G. Harding, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton [3 died in office, 1 was shot but lived]
(All but one was a Republican or, in Whig Taylor's case, the closest thing of the day. The exception was fiscally conservative Clinton.)

OSCARS: Helen Hayes (The Sin of Madelon Claudet), Ingrid Bergman (Gaslight; The Bells of St. Mary's), Anna Magnani (The Rose Tattoo), Yul Brynner (The King & I {!}), Gregory Peck (To Kill a Mockingbird), Richard Dreyfus (The Goodbye Girl), Meryl Streep (The French Lieutenant's Woman; Sophie's Choice), Daniel Day-Lewis (My Left Foot; There Will Be Blood {!}; Lincoln {!}), Frances McDormand (Fargo), Jamie Foxx (Ray), Colin Firth (The King's Speech {!}), Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

MOON IN ARIES, the Ram (KEY: Autonomous)

Aries Moons need to maintain a powerful autonomy where feelings are concerned. Their emotional responses are guarded, needing to be shown a safe place before they can be fully expressive.

Feelings are things about which the Aries Moon individual rarely speaks. These are not shy people, but rather socially distant. Usually they are not particularly comfortable when with the opposite sex, especially in their young adulthood years. Sentiment tends to give way to severe practicality even at the crest of a personal tragedy, because the Aries personality is bent toward the immediate, practical, and efficient, and because he doesn’t want to be held accountable later for emotional gushings. Though reasonably friendly and courteous, appearing cordial on first meeting, people with the Moon in Aries are hesitant about intimacy, erecting false airs or being outlandishly nasty to prevent others from getting too close emotionally.

Their personalities can be quite exciting and dynamic. Here is the hard-hitting go-getter who paves the way for others to follow. Moon in Aries has a personal intensity and adamant certainty of manner that makes other people step aside just to get out of the way. Usually that is a wise decision, for the Aries Moon gives no small amount of organizational and motivational ability, based in part on his cool assurance that he has established a solid groundwork. He scouts new territory, learns what he needs to know in preparation, and then acts decisively.

These people bolt down food, blast their horns at the slow cars in front of them, and even push rudely past little old ladies at the supermarket in their less couth moments. Impatience is perhaps their most marked fault, though they can take forever to decide to do something in the first place and even then are subject to numerous distractions and interruptions. Yet others should understand that the metabolism of these people is geared to a rapid pace, so it is easy for them to leave the rest of the world behind. They can be highly successful in business due to steady progress and astute opportunism. They are real go-getters in the commercial world and not hesitant to zoom ahead of others. Most continue a productive, energetic pace late into life.

Aries has a technical orientation. His is a mind for mathematics and mechanics, and he is not infrequently found in jobs requiring careful and sure awareness of all the conditions. However, though he takes great care to know what he is doing in advance, if he makes a mistake it is extremely difficult to get him to admit it. Aries is never wrong on anything – just ask him! With an authoritative stance and tone of voice, he will continue to declare that he is right, or else try to deny that he made the incorrect comment in the first place – or at least convince himself that, “This time it doesn’t make any difference.”
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com