addictions/substance abuse

Q&A and discussion on Medical Astrology (the astrology of health and illness)
FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent
addictions/substance abuse

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Dear Jim and fellow readers,

When you write about alcohol addictions for example you mention the natal aspects mercury and/or mars.
Often in literature about addictions Neptune is mentioned.
One would then suspect that aspects to and from Neptune might also have this influence?
Why I am asking this is because in a SSR when the moon and neptune both transit and form aspects the issue of alcohol and addictions might get enhanced:

t. MOON aspecting t. NEPTUNE
"...the native is subject to humiliation and puzzlement. The best laid plans of mice and men crumple up in an unsightly heap... the frustrating, ridiculing and final failure of every personal motive." "...portend danger from poisonous substances, rancid foods, use of drugs, consumption of liquor and delirium-tremens during the intoxication. The paralytic diseases are Neptunian."
Conjunction: "in particular, is the most ignominious in effect."
Square and Opposition: "...intrigue and delusion of the native who is exploited and lied to. Circumstances arise which perplex or vampirize him and cause him to feel 'cornered,' as though some mysterious plot against him was operating."

Why do you mention mars and mercury instead of neptune in the natal chart as being in charge for alcohol abuse?
regards,
Florence

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent
Re: addictions/substance abuse

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
FlorencedeZ. wrote:When you write about alcohol addictions for example you mention the natal aspects mercury and/or mars.
Often in literature about addictions Neptune is mentioned. One would then suspect that aspects to and from Neptune might also have this influence?
The Mercury-Mars key arose specifically from Garth Allen's important statistical analysis of the charts of alcoholics. In the 1960s he wrote a lengthy article in American Astrology discussing not only his findings, but the psychological and medical reasons that it made absolute sense.

Neptune does have much to do with psychological dependency, but that's not necessarily a part of the alcoholic temperament, which is first of all based on a physiological sensitivity that bonds with a particular psychological pattern. Within this physical disease, the level of psychological dependency will vary. For example, among people who had stopped drinking using the Alcoholics Anonymous system, Uranus was a prominent feature of their charts and Neptune had (in the aggregate) no marked presence. (I've often wondered if that Uranus-Neptune distinction was a mark of whether or not people were able to break a dependency cycle, but I haven't had the opportunity to confirm or disprove that.)
Why I am asking this is because in a SSR when the moon and neptune both transit and form aspects the issue of alcohol and addictions might get enhanced:
"Issues of alcohol and addictions" shouldn't be confused with the physical disease of alcoholism. Yes, Moon-Neptune aspects in a Solar Return can mark a time of "danger from poisonous substances, rancid foods, use of drugs, consumption of liquor and delirium-tremens during the intoxication." Or, to give another example, while the present Mars-Neptune opposition has been falling on angles of my return charts, I've had a couple of occassions of drinking more than usual and specifically experienced the toxicity effect - the "pain of the poison" - while actualizing the character traits of accelerated indulgence. OTOH I'm not an alcoholic (nor even a heavy drinker - probably one reason my somewhat more sensitized body felt the impact so easily, though Mars-Neptune aspects do tend to enhance that effect).
Why do you mention mars and mercury instead of neptune in the natal chart as being in charge for alcohol abuse?
As mentioned above, it's because of actual research findings published by Garth Allen (Donald Bradley) in the 1960s. This has also confirmed itself reliably in practice.

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you Jim for your eloquent reply.
I find the Uranus vs Neptune obervation quite interesting for "recovered AA" alcoholics. It would be interesting to see more of those kind of statistics.
Sincerely,
Florence

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Freya wrote:that's interesting. Does anyone know where the Garth Allen's article on Mars-mercury can be found? Most people foucs on signs to determine addiction, but I reckon that is marginal. i think Neptune aspecting the angles also has a potential for addiction if other factors concur, and also mercury -saturn, but I may be wrong in this

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:It was in American Astrology in the early '60s. I don't remember what issue, of course. If you have access to back issues, I'd be hay to look up the exact reference.

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Freya wrote:No, unfortunately I don't ,but I am going to look for it. Thank you for offering to help

FlorencedeZ.
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Freya wrote:I found another interesting case which confirms what Allen said about Mercury-Mars aspects and substance addition.
It is the case of of Jael Strauss, ex top model, her looks are now completely ruined due to an addiction to meth. She has mercury square mars

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/jael-stra ... -drug.html

As you mentioned neptune and substance addiction, Neptune conjunct Jupiter, makes Jupiter afflicted, which can also indicate excess of some kind, and it is also present in her chart. (I have the same aspect but it has manifested in teetotalism, maybe it is due to my sun being in Gemini?)

here is Jael Strauss' chart (birth time not known)

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:37 am

when I read these thread that talk about mar/mercury/Uranus and even Neptune in relation to addiction, I paused and looked at my own chart, which has mars/mercury/Uranus combining influences as well as my Neptune in scorpio, as well as gemini rising, which I have seen all of those sort of things influencing addiction.

I thought about the population in AA, of people who wanted to stop drinking and I realized there is a whole population of people who drink to death who never have any desire to stop, and their story isn't told.

when I read in "Taking the Gloves off Astolrogy" and came to the Jupiter section, specifically about the infant child believing they are a magician who gets what they need by some unknown power, I can to see that maybe it is more the Jupiter influence in a chart that determines a person who feels the need to change their circumstance (ie sad, depressed, bored, lonely) and partakes of the act of consuming something which will magically change their biolchemical state and make them feel better.

I also think that this condition of addiction and alcoholism has its deeper roots in our biological state dictated by the natural feast and famine cycle that our Earth travels as She parades around in space. the need of life for consumption. and the awareness that sometimes we have to wait a bit to get our needs met, but that the tides will change and the sun will return. mom has to go to the bath room sometimes, and the baby has to wait a moment kind of thing.

an afflicted Jupiter seems like it would create a internal riff that makes the person crave the constant feasting good state, which as an infant was miraculously filled by the placenta, and then the breasts of the mother, and possible power/control issue to be in charge of having wants met.

for me, the reason why I am not a drunk would be my understanding that there are bigger cycles at work, and my trust that my needs will be met and that if I try to stuff myself and pretend I am in control of my feelings/thoughts by magically taking a chemical to change that state I am only fooling myself.

I think it would be interesting to have a body of research done about people who have not ever gone to AA (AA has the idea of a higher power in control) but stopped their addiction on their own, by gaining control of their lives as best they could. I think it would show some interesting Jupiter action.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am

I had a different thought about this the other day as I was working on planning my SSR 2020 day. In another thread it was discussed how it may be that the events/circumstances/feelings that are going on around and ibside of you on your actuall SSR day seem to possibly correlate highly with the events ect that surround you for your entire SSR year.

So it was discussed how planning a day of wonderfullness love family fun ect is a very healthy idea to positively guide your year to its best manifestation.

One of the things that I have personally observed in all the people that I know who are alcholics is that they take thier birthday as a day to really tip back and indulge in thier choice of substances...drugs alcohol food sex......

Which if the idea of the SSR being played out for the year seems to indicate a continual pattern of indulgences.

In the AA system they have birthdays...the day you were first sober....and that date is very important...like a rebirth in a way for the person in recovery sometimes even moreso then the actual birthday.

If Uranus appears as a prominant planet and being a planet of birthing it seems to me that the indulgent patterns set up on a SSR would very likely play out through the year...and this is something I have seen with problem drinkers.

Curious if on the actuall SSR day if a person abstained from over indulging if possibly it could help bring about a year in which they were empowered to fulfill thier needs in a healthier manner.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 am

Maybe you can get one of the people you know to try it as an experiment. Try somebody whose birthday is mid-week and offer a cake at a bar for a birthday party if they make it.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Well....all my family members are now thankfully sober and doing great. I dont hang around with people who are drinkers anymore either....Im certainly not talking to my exhusband about it.
Its one of those things that people have to make a choice for themselves any wY because there are so many other factors and so many personal details as to why some people over induldge... And what is over indulging for me may be nithing for another person.

I was reflecting on my life patterns and one year as a teen my fruend threw me a huge bash and I did party all day and night, and that was the only year of my life that I really drank or partied excessively.

I dont go to bars either so Im not about to walk in one and. look like a judgemental jerk to a birthday partier and say.....hey wanna be a guinea pig...thou if you have ever been to a Narcotics Anonymous or AA and heard the desperation and saddness of a relapse or the physical withdrawl pains....they may be receptive as the turning over to a higher power component is a miracle worker and powerful aide to strenghten self esteem and come to terms with what we do and do not have control over in our lives.

Just was musing over the Uranus aspect and wondered about possible manifestions.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm

i dont get mid week?
Nor offering a cake at a bar if they make it?

I am assuming you are getting at the issue of the physical dependancy and the blood sugar issue, which in that case offering a cake high in sugar would not seem to be a very nice thing to do.

i dont get mid week?
Nor offering a cake at a bar if they make it?

I am assuming you are getting at the issue of the physical dependancy and the blood sugar issue, which in that case offering a cake high in sugar would not seem to be a very nice thing to do.

I know I have the Mercury Mars aspect and have my own troubles/challenges with substances and substance abuse. It is something I think about every single day. For my SSR this year I planned on making the healthiest most life affirming choices I can, because I will take any and all help I can get. And if that means believing what I do that week of my birthday will help make my year better so I can best use my talents I was born with, I will clap for Tinker Bell with all my strenght.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Most people are more likely to stay home mid-week, especially if there's a party expected on Friday or Saturday night.
I'm suggesting you offer to throw your drinker a party on the weekend, but not a fancy or expensive one. A cake at a bar can equal a party, and gets the Birthday Drinker free drinks bought by the drinker's friends.

Most really hard drinkers are more prone to dehydration than blood sugar concerns, at least in my experience. I know several who developed seizures trying to quit cold turkey, and two who died from them. And one whose parents had him admitted to a hospital, sedated through the seizures and DTs, threw an embolism as he was getting dressed to be released and ended brain dead till his body finally died a week later on Christmas Eve about a decade ago.

Naltrexone (Depade or Revia) works better than "will power" or some "higher power." (How many people depend on will power to lose weight, and look how well that works.) Campral has been widely used in Europe to get people through withdrawal for 40 years now, and has been approved by the FDA for 15. There's no reason anyone has to suffer getting off alcohol, and no reason anyone has to be martyred to it.
Or to opioids either. There is stuff we can do if we'd just get over the Assorted Anonymous stepper programs.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:33 am

I dont think thats a good expierment.
If a person is addicted to alcohol then thats a physical biological need....and no cake on the weekend is gonna drive that away. In fact the psychological battle ground that person may encounter trying to overcome a birthday of no drinking may set up a year full of nastiness as well, if the theory of the SSR manifesting through the year pans out. Hard to say and truely not my business to play with other peoples life path and choices.

I do appreciate your information on dehydration. That is a very Martian idea and I actually do think it interplays with blood sugar. The word dry actually comes up quiet often in addiction talk, though usually meaning not consuming anymore.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:13 am

Veronica wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am
Curious if on the actuall SSR day if a person abstained from over indulging if possibly it could help bring about a year in which they were empowered to fulfill thier needs in a healthier manner.
Let's start over since my suggestion above was just an off the cuff thought meant to spark your ideas, and not meant to be taken entirely seriously.

I don't have any information on this. I suggest if you want to, you could come up with an experiment to see if this idea works.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:09 am

Ok...lol....I do have an over serious aspect about somethings.

I do think it is a valid idea, but also an extremely delicate one if it was to be presented as a means to empower someone. I broached the subject with my daughter yesterday in a personal and non threatening nor judgemental way.
I talked to her about the idea that what we do and feel and think in the 3 day birthday window (day before, day of and day after) may very well imprint upon us for entire year and bring to us and out of us events feelings ect that mirror the tone of that SSR.
I used myself as an example and told her that this year I planned on orchastrating my birth window to be one of healthier choices in activites, ways in which to allow my natural born traits to flourish....ie we talked about cooking and eating foods I liked, reading books and listening to music I enjoyed, doing physical activites I love like yoga hiking and roller skating, to practice more mindful control of myself...ie not daydreaming or falling back on preprogrammed thought patterns in down time, to find healthy ways to express and not repress any frustration or challenges that may arise. We also talked about healthy ways and options to express my natural creative side...painting..poetry..singing and dancing. I have a deeply loving nature that needs an outlet and art is another form or word for Love.

One of the things though that I am trying to wrap this idea around in a constructive way is to refrain from language and thought patterns that affirm the negative. For example....In stead of saying Im not smoking.....which in a backwards way affirms smoking...or I will not drink coffee....or Im not using sugar....I want to put the intent focus and energy on what I am doing and not feed my psychological patterns and biological conditioning by feeling that I am lacking suffering missing out or ignoring past needs.

I have a pretty great SSR coming up. One that is biased towards the benefits so Im not sure that my own personal attempt in this idea is a fair marker.

I do plan on sharing this idea with my son who is a harder sell on some of my ideas then my daughter. He doesnt drink but likes his weed and video games and semi antisocial behavior. Not that I want to change him but Id like him to have all the help he can get if he wants to bring changes to himself and I see this as a great opportunity.

My nephew also has a birthday approaching. He means the world to me. He has difficulties with PTSD and social interactions. He is on medication for them. He is extremely suggestible from me so in my desire to share this idea with him I have to be very careful with how I present this.

The main issue I see with attempting this sort of thing is the underlaying root cause of why someone is doing things that are self harmful. In the first place. That main issue has to be personally uncovered and explored and rooted out and replaced with behaviors and thoughts and feelings that empower and embrace our own natural beayty and talent. Its not a magic spell. Its a deep desire to gain control of your life and live it to the best you can.

I was very inspired by Jim sharing how he wrote down his minute by minute actions and feelings and such dyring his SSR window and how he did find correlations throughout the year with that timing. I truthfully have no clue how to even begin to break down the day into a year to do any sort of chart comparrions. I would suppose I would at first half the time and then quarter it and then 8th it into smaller and smaller time zones. Not sure.
would have to really dig out a pencil and paper and my math thinking hat.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am

You can do the math after the fact.

You could write down what you're doing every hour on the hour, or every time you change activities. It would make the day mindful, at least, and maybe that would be a good thing for your year. I chose every time I changed activities.

I've divided up the 24 hour period and the 30 hour period by weeks and that's how I'm keeping notes. Not trying to do any prediction at this point, because research first, conclusions second.

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:31 pm

To the op orginal post about why Neptune is not sighted for addiction as much as the relationship between Mars and Mercury. As someone who smokes every day but still goes to NA meetings with his mother during breaks from college (I was just at one tonight nice guy Steve has 17 years clean today), its deeply rooted in the why and the biological disease. Sure some folks want to escape reality but its the physical chemical addiction (Mars) that effects the minds (Mercury) that separates those with addiction (disease) that those who wish to escape reality (Neptune).

Reality is altered in many ways that may include a physical dependency, a physical dependency (addiction to anything from binging to drugs) however isn't always to escape reality. In this case altering reality with drugs to the point where it is a issue is a rectangle and the physical addiction is a square (rectangles are square but not all squares are rectangles).
No i'm not homeless.. you just can't smell the roses as well as you can through a teepee door..