Incantation to water/sailing/stars

Q&A and discussion on the meanings of the Zodiacal Constellations, sign-meanings, etc.
Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Incantation to water/sailing/stars

Post by Soft Alpaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Are there any astrological planets/signs/connections to sailing/stargazing/feeling at home in water.

I put stargazing in because sailors used to sail by the stars. Astrology could fit in there to possibly, maybe in just crazy.
No i'm not homeless.. you just can't smell the roses as well as you can through a teepee door..

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Incantation to water/sailing/stars

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm

ScarletDepths wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm
Are there any astrological planets/signs/connections to sailing/stargazing/feeling at home in water.
Pisces is famous, for over 2,000 years, for sailing (and wanderlust in general, but explicitly by sea). Stargazing (though I see why you might relate it) is a different profile, primarily Uranian-Aquarian (though the ancients did include it with Pisces from a sailing-technology sense). In still a different sense, Taurus is all about nature and its witnessing, and is especially drawn to water (but more in the sense of the beach, swimming, ocean mysticism; not much at all about sailing or being on the water).

Yeah, I think that's the distinction: Taurus is at home at the water, and Pisces on the water.

Here's an English translation of the famous Manilius poem about Pisces luminaries, from about 14 AD:

Last Double Pisces, from their shining scale
Spread watry influences, and incline to Sail;
To trust their Lives to Seas, to plow the Deep,
To make fit Rigging, or to build a Ship.
In short, what e're can for a Fleet be fram'd,
A thousand Arts, too numerous to be nam'd.
Beside to steer, observe the Stars, and guide
As they direct, and never lose the Tide;
To know the Coasts, the Winds, the Ports, and Shores
To turn the Helm, or ply the bending oars;
To sweep smooth Seas with Nets, to drag the Sand
And draw the leaping Captives to the Land,
Lay cheating Wires, or with unfaithful bait
The Hook conceal, and get by the deceit:
To fight at Sea, to stain the Waves with blood,
Whilst War lies floating on th' unstable flood:
Fruitful their Births, of Pleasure fond, engage
In Love, are quick, but changing with their Age.

PS - You've started using Club Aldebaran for astrological topics. It's intended as a social hang-out and for matters off-topic to the rest of the forum. That makes astrological topics off-topic for Club Aldebaran. I'm moving this to discussion on the constellations.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Sorry Jim I'm endlessly off topic. Intresting I am drawn to the water [being in or on it] and it's mysticism by the same nature but alas it isn't in my chart. I was thinking of working as a chef on a ship out of school. Interesting how you describe tarurs in all of this.
No i'm not homeless.. you just can't smell the roses as well as you can through a teepee door..

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 pm

ScarletDepths wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm
Interesting how you describe tarurs in all of this.
You might find this Garth Allen article on Taurus interesting.
https://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm

It was interesting to read. However the underlying Jupiter-Neptune and Pisces in her makes it hard to conclude for me that Tarurs alone is drawn toward the sea. [It seems more likeky Tarurs is drawn toward nature and underlying aspects in the chart can point to particular elements] .

I have none of *Pisces or Tarurs in my chart, and still appricate water in both a physical and mystical sense. I also am foggy things are often unclear for and around me dispite my mercury rising in Scorpio. [How do i say mercury rising in Scorpio without implying my rising sign is in Scorpio?]

[*Unless Unaspected first house Neptune and/or my Sun and A.C. ruler conj. Piscean stars have any weight ]

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:04 pm

ScarletDepths wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm
It was interesting to read. However the underlying Jupiter-Neptune and Pisces in her makes it hard to conclude for me that Tarurs alone is drawn toward the sea.
LOL, she wasn't the only example of Taurus with this draw. But that aside... what "underlying Jupiter-Neptune and Pisces in her" do you mean? The only Pisces planet is Saturn - hardly worth considering. Yes, she has a Jupiter-Neptune conjunction, but one would not mark an entire character from an outer-planet aspect shared by millions of people over a period of months.

I do agree with you, though that the key to Taurus here is, at least in part, a simple draw to nature. But (especially considering that Taurus is as much a Moon constellation as a Venus constellation), the large number that are drawn deeply to the ocean is considerable. Bradley didn't mention himself as an example, but I know it's true. I know other Taurians that, when in their deepest need of nourishment, go to the beach, not the mountains or fields. Taurus Suns are remarkable for the number of famous swimmers (although I think that's as much a part of their showing off their skin as anything else).

Oh, wait, I just realized you imported more Pisces from the Ascendant of that 2:00 AM chart. Thing is... that's not a reliable time, the source isn't really known, it's a rectification from an unknown source. It may or may not be there.
[How do i say mercury rising in Scorpio without implying my rising sign is in Scorpio?]
You say it just like that: "Mercury rising in Scorpio" or (for a bit more sharpness) "Mercury in Scorpio rising." You get an extra break on this one because the rising sign is of negligible importance - at best, an outer façade of no depth or ultimate importance.

Regarding the seeming total absence of Neptune in your chart, it may be of interest that, for the 6:52 AM time I proposed, Your Moon is at the Neptune/MC midpoint (0°12'). That's a lesser factor, and is dependent on a speculative chart, so I'm not sure you want to put too much emphasis on it. Ebertin's summary of Mo = Ne/MC is:
Ebertin Mo=Ne/MC wrote:The tendency to revel in fanciful imaginings, an active and intense imagination, a misinterpretation of observations and perceptions, a dreamy nature, a peculiar state of feeling.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Interesting. Yes i was going by that specfic article not by anything else, I didn't clearly state that I apologize. Interesting midpoint, I hadn't thought about using angles in midpoints really [because I think they can get carried away].

I did read Neptune planet description, I hate to feel lonely, but I'm not dependent on others In any emotional way. I can say that the nature of a sponge is missing from my readings, which may be moon elevated by Pluto. I take on the environment I'm in at times. I reflect the emotional state of my surroundings. I wouldn't say my moon sign reflects things but perhaps it's the nature of the Moon.

As a general rule it's easy to find where the rebel and the vulgar and the ranch comes from in my chart. Where as the sprotualirg, the emotional connectedness the calling to water and the mystic are harder to find.

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:42 am

Would Capricorn have any inclination to water at all?

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 am

Only if it's underground. :mrgreen:

Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Soft Alpaca » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 am

Interesting... I just know that ancient Capricorn was considered a water sign. Having an inclination to sailing and water like it's sister sign cancer. I left tropical astrology in part because the more modern astrologers cut the tail off. Well I hope they drown my capy Mars is taking it back :twisted: