Signs oldest known names

Q&A and discussion on the meanings of the Zodiacal Constellations, sign-meanings, etc.
Soft Alpaca
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Signs oldest known names

Post by Soft Alpaca » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Out of pure curiosity here, what are the oldest names we know for all of the constellations we use as today's signs (and perhaps the direct translation, if known). Not that this has any particular astrological value, but as a relatively reliable source that one could access [rather than a wikipedia page] that I'm sure many people have pondered.
No i'm not homeless.. you just can't smell the roses as well as you can through a teepee door..

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Signs oldest known names

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am

Beanies+Bad habits wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm
Out of pure curiosity here, what are the oldest names we know for all of the constellations we use as today's signs (and perhaps the direct translation, if known). Not that this has any particular astrological value, but as a relatively reliable source that one could access [rather than a wikipedia page] that I'm sure many people have pondered.
The oldest are the Egyptian. I have those in fragments here and there through my notes - you can get a lot of that from Fagan's out of print Symbolism of the Constellations and much of that in his in-print Astrological Origins.

Ancient Egyptian, like Semitic languages, had consonants and no vowels written. The vowels that were given to the word gave it different meanings, and so there are a lot of puns that seem meaningful. For example, the word for "Bull," which was the name of Taurus, also means "phallus." The word for "Lion," which was Leo's name, also means "knife" or "scythe" IIRC. There were few surprises - best studied in Astrological Origins, I think, instead of my memory - but they were similar to what we have, e.g., Gemini was "The Two Stars," Aquarius was "Bringer of Waters," etc.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com