Alphecca (alpha Corona Borealis) 17°33' Lib

Q&A and discussion on Fixed Stars
Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Alphecca (alpha Corona Borealis) 17°33' Lib

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Lit., "the bright one in the curve," aka Gemma, "jewel." On the opposite latitudinal side of the sky from Acrux, Alphecca, the "Jewel" of the Northern Crown, at 17°33' Libra has a nearly indistinguishable longitude. As with Acrux, I'm interested especially because Alphecca conjoins my Mercury but, also, because it is mundanely on my IC in Los Angeles.

Ebertin says it has "a Mercury-Venus influence with some properties of Moon and Neptune... If in good position and found on the Ascendant, is credited with a liking for literature, art and science, artistic talents, and also success in trade and commerce." (I have to say that the latter is quite unlike me, especially as an adult in California, and the first part is far more true of me before I came west. As a mundane conjunction with IC, I'd personally call it a dud.)

"If conjunct with Sun and Moon and well placed in a map, [it] promises honors and preferment."

For Sun conjunct or opposite Alphecca, I find: Laura Bush, Matthew McConaughey, Pres. Warren G Harding, Pres. James K. Polk. (Substantially the same list as Acrux, and White House heavy for The Crown.)

For Moon conjunct or opposite Alphecca, I find: Abigail van Buren & Ann Landers, Bruce Lee, Dawn Kaplan, Elton John, Bill Bixby. (Other than some implication with success in "the arts," I don't find these descriptions all that accurate.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Re: Alphecca (alpha Corona Borealis) 17°33' Lib

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Ptolemy is the source of Ebertin's view that the stars of Corona are like Venus and Mercury.

Manilius gives this possible life, though. At least when rising, his interpretation is quite vivid and consistent with those planets, though not necessarily with the luminary examples I gave above:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1647&p=10485#p10485
Manilius wrote:...gentle will be the skills herefrom bestowed, for on this side shine a maiden's gifts [Corona], on that there rises a maiden's self [Virgo]. The child of the Crown will cultivate a garden budding with bright flowers and slopes grey with olive or green with grass. He will plant pale violets, purple hyacinths, lilies, poppies which vie with bright Tyrian dyes, and the rose which blooms with the redness of blood, and will stipple meadows with designs of natural color. Or he will entwine different flowers and arrange them in garlands; he will wreathe the constellation under which he was born, and like Ariadne's crown will be the crowns he fashions; and stems he will squeeze together, and distill mixtures therefrom, and will flavor Arabian with Syrian scents and produce unguents which give off a mingled fragrance, that the charm of the perfume be enhanced by the blending. His heart is set upon elegance, fashion, and the art of adornment, upon gracious living and the pleasure of the hour...
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com