Mercury-Jupiter vs. Mercury-Saturn

Q&A and discussion on Aspects.
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Mercury-Jupiter vs. Mercury-Saturn

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:11 am

Working this morning on Mercury aspects for HOSNI I realized that there is a very simple "anchoring" perspective that gives easy contrast between these two aspects. (LOL, as you'll see in a minute, that was a very Mercury-Saturn way for me to write this,)

Of the many details, comparisons, and contrasts of natal Mercury-Jupiter vs. Mercury-Saturn aspects, this may be the simplest:

Mercury-Jupiter BEGINS with trust, optimism, and confidence about a matter. Though not deluded in a Neptunian sense, Mercury-Jupiter rarely lets contradictory facts disturb their optimistic state of mind (like a gambler "on a roll"). It boils down to, "I'm starting out expecting a positive result: Don't throw off my mental process by getting me to concentrate on facts or evidence that might lead to an opposite conclusion."

Mercury-Saturn BEGINS with doubt, pessimism, and skepticism about a matter. Mercury-Saturn insists on facts before budging from doubt. It boils down to, "I'm starting out expecting nothing is here, and require facts and evidence before thinking otherwise."

The former approach is called "religious thinking" and the latter "scientific thinking," even when the topic has nothing to do with religion or science.

While both types actually know the difference between fact and fiction, from this simple "confidence first; don't let facts or evidence disturb my mindset" vs. "doubt first: must have facts and evidence to determine my final mindset" you can derive most of the rest of what's important about the two aspects.

Thus, Mercury-Jupiter appears confident, comfortable, reassuring. They may seem shallower than they are (perhaps because they circumvent controversy or simply don't live in a space of doubt). Their high likelihood of thriving in business depends more on luck than skill (though they usually have skill) and they're always looking for the next opportunity or lucky break. They start off as upbeat and confident, so appear that way. They don't fit a fixed schedule or routine very well.

In contrast, Mercury-Saturn appears cautious, distrustful, and perhaps uncertain. They always seem serious (comfortable with controversy and disagreement or relying on doubt as their insurance). They aren't necessarily interested in business (and it's not usually an aspect of pronounced prosperity despite Warren Buffet), usually most reliant on skill and precision instead of luck (though they usually make their own good luck). They're always skeptical of an unproven opportunity. While rarely deeply depressive, they have a prudent pessimism that rests on doubting all things initially. They organize their reality very well around schedules, structures, and routine.

Perhaps this will help you incorporate a cell-level understanding of these two aspects and their contrasts - or, I might say, their essential identity except for having the variables flipped in their matching equations. (That was such a Mercury-Saturn way to say that, don't you think?)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member
Re: Mercury-Jupiter vs. Mercury-Saturn

Post by Veronica » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:21 pm

I do.

As someone with an exact Mercury Saturn square I feel you expressed the differences quite soundly.

I feel for me that my caution keeps me isolated from connecting to others.