My House Model: An Overview

Q&A and discussion on Houses including house models and domification systems.
Jim Eshelman
Nabu
My House Model: An Overview

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

[Adapted from my article, "New House Model: An Overview," originally published sometime around 1981 in Zip Dobyns' periodical The Mutable Dilemma: http://solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=199]

Throughout my time in astrology, I'd never been satisfied with the raison d'etre of the house series. I felt a lack of a unifying perspective to tie together the multiple meanings and diverse concepts regularly related to each of the houses. Even more important to me, I felt the absence of a visible order in the sequence of the dozen mundane sectors, a sequential order satisfying both to logic and intuition.

The key point in this model is that the series of houses is necessarily a clockwise cycle.

Consider that astrology, as a window upon the rest of Nature, reflects natural rhythms and cycles in human behavior. The series of signs is recognizably in the order Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, etc. because this is the order in which we continually experience the sign qualities due to the passage of the Sun, Moon, and (with periodic back-and-forthing) all of the other planets through the signs. In other words, each time we finish the experience of "Taurus-ness" we can rightly expect to move into a phase of "Gemini-ness." Each year, Sun and its inner-planet entourage reinforce this westward movement. Each month Moon replicates it as well. The order of the signs is repeatedly reinstated in our consciousness, reinforced by a reiterated rhythm.

However, there is no comparable counter-clockwise pattern to the houses in nature. Every day, each planet rises, ascends to the Midheaven, sets, anticulminates, and prepares to reascend. The rhythm of the houses is clockwise. Every day, each of us experiences the sequential flow of two luminaries and eight planets passing through the houses in the order 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, ,5 ,4, 3, 2, 1 - a "countdown to selfhood." If there is to be found in the houses an orderly, sequential pattern - as I believe exists - it will most likely be found in following the path through the houses described by the planets themselves every day, even every hour, of our lives.

Three Types of Houses viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1364
Hemisphere Characteristics viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1370
Third House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1372
Second House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1374
First House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1378
Twelfth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1379
Eleventh House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1380
Tenth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1382
Ninth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1384
Eighth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1386
Seventh House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1390
Sixth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1391
Fifth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1394
Fourth House viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1395
Third House (reprise) viewtopic.php?f=17&t=196#p1397
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Three Types of Houses

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

Once the pattern described below became apparent to me, logical analysis revealed certain characteristics about it, particularly about the nature of angularity, succedency, and cadency. These make understanding the overall picture considerably easier.

Each angular house (1, 10, 7, 4) represents a culmination or fulfillment of a principle that has been building throughout the preceding hemicycle. For instance, the 1st house represents the stage in a planet's diurnal circling where it has been beneath the horizon, in the hemisphere of selfness, more than it will be at any other time in its daily cycle. It is, therefore, a maximization of selfness.

Every cadent house (12, 9, 6, 3) is characterized by a reversal of current and is correspondingly a decision zone. Readers familiar with the Yi Ching will have no trouble understanding the concept that once a principle has reached its maximum degree of manifestation in a given cycle, the current naturally and even necessarily turns toward the opposite pole. Winter, and the withdrawal of heat, naturally and necessarily follows the point where summer's increase of heat has peaked. Or, to choose another example, when it has gotten as dark as it's going to get, the only thing remaining is for it to get lighter. This reversal of current is an appropriate reaction to the extreme that has been reached in one direction.

Therefore, when selfhood has reached its greatest degree of manifestation in a given cycle (1st house), the natural move is toward others-ness, beginning with a stage of selflessness represented by the 12th house. Or, as externalization reaches it peak (10th house), the next natural step in individual growth is to turn inward and develop the inner levels of being that have been somewhat neglected, by passage of into the 9th and 8th houses.

Therefore, I view cadent houses as representing this reversal of current - a transition, often accompanied by considerable tension, confusion, or soul-searching, in which one is redefining oneself, still habituated to an old orientation yet moving toward the adoption of a new one. This may be a move from acute self-orientation to others-ness through selflessness (12th house), from outward, upward-reaching achievement to inner values (9th), from a primarily others-oriented perspective to one of responsible self-sufficiency (6th), or from profound inward-turning to curious exploratory movement out into the world (3rd).

Finally, succeedent houses (11, 8, 5, 2) have a dual role. First, they are near approximations, just-unripe fulfillments, of the angular houses into which they will next flow. The 11th, for instance, is the aspiration ("hopes and wishes") preceding achievement (10th). Secondly, each of these houses is a bursting-forth into full involvement with the new orientation first encountered (and resisted) in the cadent house. For example, after the peaking of selfhood in the 1st house, and the reaction against it in the self/non-self ordeal of the 12th, we see the first free, spontaneous flowing toward others-ness in the group-consciousness of the 11th.

This pattern repeats itself in each quadrant. Four times around the horoscope we find a sequence wherein a principle reaches its strongest expression; is reacted against in a counter-balancing, redeciding movement toward its opposite pole, often accompanied by some degree (great or small) of initial tension or resistance; and then freely flows with the new principle in the form of a spontaneous acceptance.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Hemisphere Characteristics

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

I previously referred to the lower half of the horoscope as the hemisphere of selfness. This does not mean that I consider that a majority of planets in this hemisphere means the individual is primarily self-oriented. Often it means just the opposite! What I mean is that every planet passing through houses 6 through 1 (clockwise) is in the act of discovering what selfness is all about and gradually moving toward selfness from othersness.

The weather can be cold, but a person out in the weather can remain warm - for a while!

Similarly, every planet above the horizon is somewhere in the process of moving from selfness toward othersness, the exactly opposite pattern. This does not mean that someone born with every planet above the horizon, clustered primarily in the 8th and 12th houses, will be a basically social type. It only means that, from the initial resistance to the idea that "My ego isn't the only thing in the world" of House 12, to the potentially total submerging of self in a sense of bonded pairing in the 7th, the planet is discovering what the experience of "Thou" is all about, and coming increasingly into alignment with that experience.

Similarly, planets on the left side of a horoscope are all ascending, or moving upward and outward, while those on the right side are all descending, or moving downward and inward.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Third House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Brethren, short journeys, writings, studies, mental inclinations and ability. - LG, A to Z

Short journeys, correspondence, brothers and sisters, and the 'lower' or practical mind. - Gleadow
In the beginning was the Word.

We have to begin somewhere, so why not at the bottom of the chart, the instant of midnight, traditionally attributed to "the beginning and end of the matter?" As a planet, in its normal diurnal movement, departs the IC, where matters are "closest to home" both psychologically and environmentally, it begins its ascent toward the Midheaven, a movement outward into the world. In these first steps it is, however, habitually attuned to the private, to what is close to its roots, so its first discovery is within a tiny perimeter of close relatives, neighbors, etc., just outside of its nest.

We'll return to the 3rd house later, after passing through the entire cycle that leads to it.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Second House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Financial affairs, monetary prospects. Gain or loss... - LG, A to Z

Money and material possessions. - Gleadow
A planet in the 2nd house has been in the hemicycle of selfness longer than any planet except one in the 1st. Therefore, it represents a high degree of selfness, yet not full self-identification. I refer to the 2nd as the house of the proxy-self, i.e., of things (including concepts) almost identified with self, which one attaches to oneself but doesn't perfectly identify with. "Selfish," certainly a 2nd house word by tradition, simply means "approximating the self."

After the first, timid moves toward the outer world in the 3rd house, the 2nd represents a free-flowing surge toward encountering the outer world. This requires the ability to manipulate its various facets. Yet still being close to the bottom of the chart, this is primarily in terms of privateness, so resources are viewed as mine.

[EDIT 2017 - I'm beginning to think of this as the competitive struggle to push out into the world that precedes the natural flowing expression into the world of the 1st.]
Sun in 2nd. Keen sense of ownership; possessiveness; self identified with resources. Sense of power from harnessing resources.

Moon in 2nd. Strongly reliant on personal resources (women especially rebel against conventional domestic roles and hold their own in a professional sphere). Shrewd, tenacious. Enjoys life. Protective of “what is theirs.”
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
First House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Rules the personality, natural disposition and tendencies, self-interest and worldly outlook generally. - LG, A to Z

The body and general external character. - Gleadow
A very simple principle. Having passed through the lower hemisphere, planets here are most acutely identified with the concept of self. As the midpoint in the hemicycle of externalization, this purest selfness is to be externalized; i.e., it represents a concept of self specifically intended to be put forth toward others. It is an emerging self.

Rather than the traditional "I Am" interpretation, the 1st house can perhaps best be rendered "I Do.". It indicates experiential participation. Thus, though a rising Sun can be interpreted as self-interest (since the Sun always indicates our primary focus of attention), the Ascendant and 1st house can be thought of more purely as meaning self-expression.

[EDIT 2017: I now like to reserve "self-expression" for the 5th house, and have come to think of the 1st house more as "self-presentation."]
Sun in 1st. Proud, authoritative, non-reciprocal. Strong and enthusiastic self-projection to environment. Sense of goal or direction. Vitality.

Moon in 1st. Restless, moody, subjective, changeable, eager. Response to a given situation not dependable. Strongly responsive to environment. Emotional “feelers” extended; feelings prominent; eager to help a friend.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Twelfth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Unseen or unexpected troubles; restraint, limitations, exile, seclusion, secret sorrows, silent sufferings and woe, self-undoing, secret enemies, hospitals, large animals; occult or hidden side of life. - LG, A to Z

Secret enemies, seclusion (hospitals, imprisonment), and obscure difficulties. - Gleadow
Having come to identify thoroughly with selfness, a planet is now cast across the horizon into the realm of othersness. Being habituated to selfness, it faces a reversing of current. This may be called self-sacrifice or, more accurately, selfness-sacrifice. Initially, there's a resistance to this selflessness which, in healthy development, passes. Thus, in this house a planet confronts the realization that it cannot successfully operate in terms of selfish interests.

Planets in the 1st house are acutely identified with "I." Therefore, the 12th represents a dis-identification with a planetary principle. Since every factor in the chart is a facet of oneself, this dis-identification usually means a shifting of the principle to an unconscious level of operation. Bursting from its contained selfness below the horizon, the planetary principle here merges into the expanses of infinite openness where it begins to identify with the collective, with the all, universalizing its manifestation.

The traditional assignment of "unknown enemies" actually means "unknown others," just as the 7th house is traditionally that of "known friends" and "known enemies." The contrast here reveals the true significance of those two key phrases: In the 12th house, "others-ness" is just being discovered, and therefore is not yet understood. The entire concept of "other" is foreign in this stage of intra-psychic adjustment. In contrast, by the time the planet has passed to the 7th house, "other" is as understood as it will be in the current cycle; that is, others are "known."
Sun in 12th. Privacy needs, secretive, prefers seclusion (loner, hermit). Moody, circumspect. Inhibitions; self-expression retarded.

Moon in 12th. Secluded (hermit). Difficult emotional complexes, inferiority feelings, moody; an “I’m not OK but you’re OK” syndrome, or “You’re probably better than I am.” Passive or defeatist attitude, drifting. Frustration of nurturing needs and emotional interchange. Vulnerable to pain.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Eleventh House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Friends, associations, hopes and wishes; indicates the financial condition of the employer, being the second from the tenth. - LG, A to Z

Friends. - Gleadow
After resistance to othersness in the 12th, a ready flowing with othersness appears in the 11th. Yet, being near the eastern edge of the horoscope, there is still a strong habituation to selfness which remains a potent factor. Thus, here we find group consciousness (community), but with a marked sense of retained individuality within the group.

Being nearly to the 10th - the second most upreaching House of the horoscope - the 11th indicates reaching toward achievement, or the aspiration which precedes attainment.
Sun in 11th. Growth needs pronounced. Desire to do something specific. Strong need for appreciation. Gregarious; social ease; attractive to opposite sex. Great powers of observation, knowledge of human nature (helping-professions).

Moon in 11th. Need for appreciation and inclusion. Socially popular. Readiness to help (comes on strong, insistent). Uniquely personalized approaches, sense of “where they want to be,” goals, hopes and wishes. Self-satisfied, smug in their position, strong-willed. Good observation powers. Image of independent spirit.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Tenth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Profession, occupation, honor, fame, promotion, mother, employer; affairs of the country or government. - LG, A to Z

The profession and reputation and one of the parents. - Gleadow
This is the culmination of externalization or reaching out into the world, a flowering of one's personal outreach from innermost self, peaking in the fullest expression of who one is in the world. Identity and authority are my two preferred keywords for the Meridian.

Specifically, the 10th house is connected with public authority. This means either one's own authority exercised in a public sphere, outside of the home, i.e., one's public identity, or the authority one acknowledges in an outerworld "superior" (employer or "the authorities," for instance; or, to a child, one of the parents). The Midheaven and 10th house fundamentally signify the unfolding of a personal sense of direction, the outcome of which is to be more truly and fully oneself, so it is most definitely the key to identity as measured by outerworld standards, and one's experience of "highness" (prestige, prominence, culmination). Reputation and status are often involved, because one's career is a frequent (though not exclusive) area of manifestation. For a public figure, it can reveal the overall tone of one's interaction with the public.
Sun in 10th. Awareness of authority within self and others (paternal bias). Achievement-oriented, responsible, managerial. Proud. Probable success in career.

Moon in 10th. Need for notice and recognition, love receiving attention (colorful characters). Ambitious, takes job seriously, deeply committed to profession. Socially active.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Ninth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Long journeys, foreign countries and places remote from birth; dreams, visions, psychic experiences, education, intuition and higher development; philanthropic, philosophic and spiritual tendencies... - LG, A to Z

Philosophy, religion, travel. - Gleadow
Having culminated in externalization in the 10th, we now experience a reversal of current. Emphasis on externalized, manifest form must give way to something inner, which is the value and meaning behind the form. In the 9th house we confront the ambivalence of being drawn anew to descend within ourselves, while still habituated to the established outer structure previously established.

What results is the beginnings of wisdom, yet framed in terms of established structures, codes, patterns, and designs (law, established religions and philosophy, etc.). This is the initial step toward that deeper, freer self-probing that appears in the 8th.
Sun in 9th. Drawn by the exotic (travel, “world-hoppers”). Enthusiasm. Sense of professionalism to provide self-vindication, validation, or status. Able to communicate own best assets. Need for importance. (The women are typically highly dependent on spouses with low assertion of individuality or independence; the men are usually “peacocks.”)

Moon in 9th. Intellectually “uppity.” Focus on philosophy, abstract thought, and academics. Idealistic. Imagination, receptive mind. Love of travel. Earnest, sincere. Moody.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Eighth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Legacies, the money or goods of others, death, and all matters connected with the dead; astral experiences. Financial affairs of the partner... - LG, A to Z

Accidents, death, inheritances, the wife's or husband's money. - Gleadow
Next to the 7th, this is the most others-oriented house, planets here having spent almost as much time in the upper hemisphere as they will in the current cycle. It therefore represents thus those things nearly (but not quite) considered part of others: their possessions and other resources, including (and perhaps especially) their psychological resources. Generally, therefore, anything attributed to, attached to, or equated with others.

Conceiving something as "another's resource" is separating it from our own ego-attachment to the resource, the antithesis of the 2nd House function. This seems the ley to much of the psychological growth process attributed to the 8th House. Its nature - contrary to 2nd & consistent with Taurus symbolism - is surrender.

Following a resistance to internalization in the 9th, we encounter a flow toward internalization in the 8th, toward wishing to take charge or the inner world. Inner questing for values and meaning in the 9th is now stripped of old codifications and structure, i.e., of exoteric dogma, so that it becomes more esoterically or existentially meaningful.

I've rarely found the 8th house to refer to one's own death. It's often involved when another dies. It seems active in one's own long-term terminal illness, but not in abrupt death. I consider it, therefore, more to represent a confrontation with Thanatos (or any other dramatic life-issue), than one's actual passing. Concepts about death and other existential issues are reflected here.

This combination of inward-turned self-searching with others-orientation often results in projection and unconscious encountering of one's own deeply important issues by actively seeking out others to enact them. (Projections are "proxy-others.")
Sun in 8th. Strong-willed. Illuminates and supports others’ resources. Contemplative, probes mysteries of existence (grand overview of life), need to solve problems. Physical passions important.

Moon in 8th. Self-doubts, insecure (over-compensatingly brazen, aggressive, combative). Fascinated by death (self-destructive, taunts danger). Emotional distress, “victim complex,” motivated (or driven!) by deep psychological forces.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Seventh House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Unions, partnerships, marriage, contracts, lawsuits, open enemies, dealings with others and the public generally. - LG, A to Z

Marriage and all other partnerships, and open enemies. - Gleadow
Another simple principle (as all angular houses are). This is the house where "othersness" is maximized, a planet having been as long above the horizon here as it will be in the present cycle. As it sets, a planet identifies with a submerged self - specifically, submerged in another or others.

The 7th house, therefore, signifies an others-consciousness - an increased focal awareness on other people - and the way we choose to experience others. Cooperation and competition are polar keynotes designating its attributes. The fundamental principle of this house is focus of attention away from self, thus to others. This accounts very nicely with the traditional (and apparently valid) association of the Descendant with death, since death is the passing out of existence, or setting aside, of selfhood in the sense that it s represented by the horizon. The fundamental symbolism, however, is not explicitly that of death but of any instance of stepping outside of the highly specialized and particularized selfhood which differentiates one incarnated individual from another.
Sun in 7th. Needs ego-validation from others (vain, narcissistic), desire to be an important person. Others-oriented, a “public personality.” Holds self above reproach (“holier than thou”). Ambitious, confident demeanor; opportunistic. Considerable vitality. Many (but not hardly all) have an overt or shadow need to be in charge of other people.

Moon in 7th. Focus on relationships; companionship needs. Responsive to others, obliging. Nurturing and emotional interchange important in relationships; need for love and affection. Sociable, popular, attracts others’ attention easily. Ease of public expression. Easily pressured into taking sides or responding to “the issues.”
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Sixth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Sickness, servants or employees, service, work, food, hygiene, clothing and small animals. - LG, A to Z

Servants, food, clothes, and health. - Gleadow
Having come to identify thoroughly with othersness, a planet is now drawn across the horizon into the realm of self, facing a reversal of current. In this house, a planet confronts the realization that it cannot successfully continue to rely on others but must develop individual responsibility and capability. It therefore represents a crisis or decision-point of self-reliance.

Since energies here are habituated to othersness, and haven't entirely disconnected from othersness, the efforts put forth still seem to be "for them;" hence the idea of service. A key theme of this house when emphasized is the need to squarely confront the worthwhileness and value of oneself for one's own sake, rather than just for others. One is required to forgo thinking of others for a while and return (recycle) attention to oneself for one's own distinctive survival. The inter-connectedness of health themes with this scarcely require mentioning.

Often relationship difficulties show with an emphasis on the 6th house if one is ambivalent on self/other issues. The natural, appropriate tendency is toward pulling oneself away from others-ness, sacrificing relationship (only so far as is genuinely necessary, it is hoped), and giving more priority to oneself.
Sun in 6th. Emphasis on work, service, and body/health concerns (body-conscious). Pride in personal achievements. Vitality not trustworthy. Determined worker.

Moon in 6th. Focus on service as mode of self-completion (many “helpers”). Emotional martyrdom in partnering (nurturing + service). [Partnering with ‘institution cases!’] Hesitancy to freely respond to a situation (emotional repression?). Moody, frequent job changes, considerate of coworkers.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Fifth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Children, love affairs, pleasurable emotions, speculations. - LG, A to Z

Pleasure, love-affairs, children, and speculation. - Gleadow
The essence of the 5th house is aliveness, freedom, and a spontaneous flowing with selfness. This follows the initial ambivalence about self vs. other experienced in the 6th. Yet, being still near the western edge of the horoscope, the 5th retains some quality of othersness.

Therefore, we find expression of selfness in a particularly unbridled form. Yet this self-expression naturally occurs in the context of others, even in relating, thus generating all of the 5th house idea of romance, playmates, need for acknowledgment, etc.

Creativity succeeds rote performance (6th). To me, most ideas of children emerge indirectly from matters already outlined here; but there is a further point which makes creativity and procreativity significant issues in the 5th. We're approaching the end of a cycle in the 4th house, the return of the point-consciousness (I.C.) from which we first emerged; and there appears to be in Nature a declaration that a transmission of acquired experience, or the communication of some form of what one has accumulated (genetically, artistically, etc.), is an essential step before the closing of a cycle.
Sun in 5th. Oriented to pleasure (own and others’), spontaneous self-expression, strong individuation needs, self-confidence, delightfulness. Often riveting charisma. Creative thrust. Ego identified with own creations (children).

Moon in 5th. Love of variety. Self-expressive needs. Many love affairs; strong libido; focus on pleasure. Ardent.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Fourth House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Father, home, environment domestic affairs, and general conditions at close of life. The outlook regarding mines, lands, property and the end of undertakings. - LG, A to Z

Home, the condition at the end of life, and one of the parents. - Gleadow
Being the sector of maximum in-turning, this is a deeply personal zone. It is a culmination of descent into oneself, diving toward the most intimately private core of identity. All the multiple layers of early environmental formative factors come into play and are re-encountered as one re-descends toward one's psychic origins, and need not be re-articulated here.

At the lower extreme, we find the 4th house, the most personal, private focal point of awareness in a horoscope. Privacy is clearly the basic key word of this angle. Though, due to their angularity, planets on the IC are highly expressive keynotes of the chart in question, the realm of manifestation is within emotional (if not physical) close quarters to home. The IC is usually considered the weakest, least important angle, but I think its effects are simply more private and therefore hidden from the casual observer. Domestic concerns, property, family and other resources may all be affected if we feel a need to look for specific outer manifestations. What seems more important to me, however, is the orientation to one's roots, the profound sense of inner self, and a reinvestment of energy into the psychic foundations of life. Sometimes the inward-turning brings about a re-evaluation of priorities; or ongoing decisions at a subconscious level can emerge into consciousness.
Sun in 4th. Strong parental (paternal) principle (root-conscious). Emphasis on family matters (domesticity). Pride in home. Striving for a secure basis.

Moon in 4th. Needs emotional security. Emotionally attached to home, parents (mother), and heritage. Family-spirit, domestic. Nurtures, but needs nurturing. Powerful emotions mobilized protectively. Strongly sensitive to psychic tone of the environment and its occupants.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu
Third House

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am

TRADITIONAL MEANINGS: Brethren, short journeys, writings, studies, mental inclinations and ability. - LG, A to Z

Short journeys, correspondence, brothers and sisters, and the 'lower' or practical mind. - Gleadow
In meditation, one discovers that, following the quiet, poised contact with that Point of Innermost Being, there is characteristically an instant when that Point becomes a seed, a reinitialization; and there follows an often prolific flow of cognition. This cognition, immediately succeeding the I.C, completes our basic themes of the 3rd house.
Sun in 3rd. Vivacious, restless. Intellect illuminated. Intellectually agile, versatile, calculating, shrewd. Disseminating. Little ambition or objective sense of direction. [ADD: Cagey, deceptive, in the sense of being indirect, manipulative.]

Moon in 3rd. Curiosity; active mind; information-exchange needs. Travel (unstable formative environment). Mobility, fluctuation. Feelings linked with intellect; subjectivity. Common sense. Easy despondency.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

By Jove
Constellation Member
Constellation Member
Re: My House Model: An Overview

Post by By Jove » Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Would it be right to associate each house with a zodiac sign the way Fagan does in his notes?

12th - Virgo
11th - Leo
10th - Cancer
9th - Gemini
8th - Taurus
7th - Aries
6th - Pisces
5th - Aquarius
4th - Capricorn
3rd - Sagittarius
2nd - Scorpio
1st - Libra

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm

By Jove wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 pm
Would it be right to associate each house with a zodiac sign the way Fagan does in his notes?
One can argue that model somewhat easier than one can argue the opposite.

But one of the messages of the above model is that there is a fundamental problem in doing any sign-house match-up, because the sequence of signs moves one direction, and the sequence of houses moves the other.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:02 pm

IIRC, Robert Hand wrote a somewhat similar model in Horoscope Symbols, also from 1981. I also remember reading something similar in about 1978 (don't recall the book or author) advocating clockwise houses based on the planets' clockwise diurnal motion, but without an interpretive model. Again, IIRC (I no longer have a copy of HS), Hand's model had the meridian axis relate to inner-outer world polarity, while selfness/otherness was expressed by the horizon axis. His model of angular/succeedent/cadent housees is very similar. I would not be surprised if Fagan had experimented with the idea earlier, about the time he created the octoscope (which is clockwise), though I have no knowledge.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm

mikestar13 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:02 pm
...Hand's model had the meridian axis relate to inner-outer world polarity, while selfness/otherness was expressed by the horizon axis. His model of angular/succeedent/cadent housees is very similar.
This is pure Cosmobiology - right from the book. Rob and I got that particular bias from the same source :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

mikestar13
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by mikestar13 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I've never actually read The Combination of Stellar Influences, though I've seen thousands of quotes. I really should have noticed that :oops: .

The Noviens, Octoscpe ... thread (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1122) gave me a clue about the other book: it was Carl Stahl's Beginner's Manual .... This was one of the many books I discovered at Gilbert's Book Shop near the corner of Hollywood and Vine back in the late 70's. I didn't end up purchasing that one, as I had already committed my limited funds to other Sidereal works I needed even worse. Gilbert's had a great selection.
Time matters

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Gilbert's was great, and Ed Gilbert was a trooper.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 am

mikestar13 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:02 pm
IIRC, Robert Hand wrote a somewhat similar model in Horoscope Symbols, also from 1981. I also remember reading something similar in about 1978 (don't recall the book or author) advocating clockwise houses based on the planets' clockwise diurnal motion, but without an interpretive model. Again, IIRC (I no longer have a copy of HS), Hand's model had the meridian axis relate to inner-outer world polarity, while selfness/otherness was expressed by the horizon axis. His model of angular/succeedent/cadent housees is very similar.
I finally got around to reading this. It's almost spooky how similarly Rob and I developed this... but not really spooky, since (1) we have similar astrological roots and (2) we, along with many others, hung out a time or two or three every year at conventions / conferences.

I was lecturing on this in 1980 - I don't think it was as early as '79, but I now it was the annual run of astrology conferences before I wrote it up for Zip's journal - and noticed Rob on the same conference schedule talking on what sounded like the same topic. (Since Horoscope Symbols came out in 1981, he was obviously writing it in 1980. I said, "Hey, I see you're talking on the same thing I just talked about," and he'd seen the same duplication in the schedule. We gave each other 30-second run-downs, and I remember him remarking, with surprise, that I was using a two-axis, twin-cycle model, and he'd used one. (He just ran it off the horizon, or at least represented it that way.) Now I see he ended up with a two-axis model :) But those were great days, when we all absorbed and integrated each others' ideas (I've learned so much from him over the years).

Besides standard, traditional Tropical astrology, Rob had a period of concentrating on Sidereal. We both have extremely strong Cosmobiology backgrounds (it's probably the single strongest influence for both of us), enough Uranian to know our way around it well. We each attended (and taught some) at Zip Dobyns' annual one-week intensive, on adjacent years (we talked a couple of times about how we had both learned so much from Zip AND both were more than over-filled with her system). We both had deep interest in classical Greek and Latin astrology resources, and he ended up starting a publishing company to specialize in those source works. And for similarity of certain perspectives, he was the first person I ever knoew who did the est training, and I took the training a couple of years after. (And a bit of this and that in addition.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by SteveS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 am

Jim wrote:
Besides standard, traditional Tropical astrology, Rob had a period of concentrating on Sidereal.
Exactly! I used to purchase most of Hand’s early seminar tapes to absorb at home—too busy to travel to conferences/seminars. Hand laid a good astrological foundation with my early beginning/ astrological learning. When Hand produced the first astrological program NOVA for PC's my learning of astrology took-off, since I had difficulty with the math for computing all the charts I wanted to analyze. I think the Siderealists were mainly confined to small groups in California/Arizona. But Hand was exposed to the Siderealist’s Camp—I think through Arthur Blackwell. Hand respected the work of the Siderealists.
Jim wrote:
But those were great days, when we all absorbed and integrated each others' ideas (I've learned so much from him over the years).
Indeed they were ‘great days.’ :)

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:24 am

Rob's primary Sidereal period (I'm pretty sure) was years before he met Arthur. But they then worked side by side at AGS, and Arthur was his standardly available go-to Siderealist during those years. (Arthur died in '92.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com