Gov. Gavin Newsom recall election

Discussion of horoscopes of possible general interest.
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Gov. Gavin Newsom recall election

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:47 pm

California's Gov. Gavin Newsom was born October 10, 1967, 5:13 AM PDT, San Francisco, CA. He currently lives (or, at least, the seat of his governance reside) in Sacramento, CA.

A recall petition got enough signatures. The recall election is set for September 14. California polls close at 8:00 PM that day.

Anyone want to start handicapping the outcome?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Gov. Gavin Newsom recall election

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 pm

My view of Gov. Newsom's chart that day:

TRANSITS begin with a mixed signal: You'd think transiting Sun crossing his Ascendant all day would be a sure signal of his winning, but the picture is much more complicated than that - it is, at the very least, hugely worrisome for him.

26°36' Sco - r Mars
26°44' Aqu - t Neptune
26°57' Leo - r Asc
27°06' Leo - r Pluto
27°28' Leo - t Sun

His current SOLAR RETURN can easily be read as an overthrow, with Uranus rising and Pluto (with both Jupiter and Saturn) at MC squared by Mars. In any case, he's had to deal with the recall election at all, so the attacks and assaults could be only that (since we're considering the whole year), but it does look (just taken by itself) like the death of his career. (Then again, there is the foreground close Sun-Moon-Jupiter T-square.)

His August 19 SLR has nothing super close to the angle except natal Sun. I won't draw serious conclusions from it because he has another SLR within a day of the closing of the polls, the morning of September 15. This one, too, has mixed messages leaning negative: Transiting Venus (in its own sign) 1°37' before Asc, t Saturn 2°40' past IC. One good, one bad. The worst news for him of the whole chart is that Venus and Saturn are in close square (less than 2°) which seems to signal "the party's over."

Turning to the actual day, we examine (besides the transits above) the quotidians.

The SNQ has his Sun just barely within 1° of Ascendant squares his Moon. These are unafflicted. Most neutrally, they show him in the spotlight, the center of attention. Without affliction, this nearly always has a positive expression, e.g., a strong showing of leadership, a "winning way." However, there is an important tip the other direction: Progressed Moon squares progressed Saturn 0°41'. On the other hand (just to keep the suspense going), progressed Moon trines progressed Jupiter (0°17') and natal Venus (0°31'). (Progressed Jupiter conjoins natal Venus 0°48'.) The square to Saturn is a stronger aspect, but the trine to Jupiter is closer and the idea of Moon triggering Jupiter-on-Venus would normally be taken as very positive.

The SQ is more clearly severe: Transiting Mars is within 1° of Descendant.

His PSSR has several planets in, but not quite on, the angles, so seems not to have a strong voice.

Based on these charts... each of which has pro and con, with the con slightly outweighing the pro sometime... the odds seem poor for him, suggesting either a loss or a really costly victory at best. I'm not sure I'd handicap this based on his charts. Current conventional wisdom is that, though he has to wage a fight, he should have an easy win. The charts aren't that optimistic.

Your thoughts?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:20 am

We can also look at this as a mundane event: Does the State of California overthrow its leadership?

The CAPLUNAR has Neptune on MC (Neptune is angular almost every year through California) and Venus setting. Maybe a little anxiety of the executive but nothing much one way or the other on outcome.

The new CANSOLAR has populist challenge to leadership worldwide with its Moon-Sun-Pluto T-square. Fort Sacramento, Uranus squares MC suggesting change; and, specifically, closely angular Uranus (or Sun-Uranus) is common for changes of leadership.

The Caplunar is silent. The LIBLUNAR is voiced, though. At first it seems that the indications are neutral, with Mercury 2°32' from MC. However, Mars and Neptune are both within 3° of square Asc, their midpoint 0°16' from the angle. Furthermore, that seemingly neutral Mercury on MC is just exactly 3°00' from square Saturn in azimuth: just on the edge of a PVP Mercury-Saturn square that I'd count. Without being decisive, this Chart of the Week seems to be an "out with the bum" attitude by the voting public.

Indicators for the day start with a CapQ that has several separation indicators not quite close enough to the angles to take seriously (and stronger a day or two before). The CapQ is actually silent. There are also no transits to Capsolar angles or Moon.

The CanQ has transiting Mercury on IC unaspected. The one strong indicator is transiting Uranus 1°06' from square Cansolar MC. It isn't decisive, especially because it is a long-term transit and not triggered on the day, but (as mentioned above) Uranus does appear pretty consistently for change of leadership.

With such vague daily showings, and especially with the dormant CapQ, we're justified in checking the lesser solar ingresses for daily patterns.

Transits to the Arisolar are interesting but, again, are mixed (opposite). Transiting Jupiter squares Arisolar Moon 0°06' which suggests a happy voting population (a signal the recall fails). However, transiting Mars conjoins Arisolar IC 1°53' applying, suggesting angry voters.

The LibQ has ingress Mercury-Uranus along meridian. There are then other angular planets near, but not tightly conjoining angles (a Jupiter here, a Saturn there).

Bottom line, I don't think any of these charts shows a clear answer, though I think several of them lean negative, suggesting that - against current progressions - he either loses and is removed from office or wins a thin, costly victory.

These results surprise me.

What's anyone else think?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:22 am

Jim, as for now I can't find any betting odds for this recall election. If I see any I will post.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48 pm

SteveS wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:22 am
Jim, as for now I can't find any betting odds for this recall election. If I see any I will post.
Thanks. - And, Steve, do you see anything I've missed above? This doesn't look good for him, but conventional thought remains that he is so strong that betting against him is like betting against (say) Green Bay when it's playing a local high school team.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 pm

TRANSITS begin with a mixed signal: You'd think transiting Sun crossing his Ascendant all day would be a sure signal of his winning,...
Is it? Or is it a sure signal of his being the center of attention. The Sun is a luminary, not a benefic.

Parto
Constellation Member
Constellation Member

Post by Parto » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:47 pm

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 pm
The Sun is a luminary, not a benefic.
I've seriously considered creating a thread titled "In what way is the Sun not a benefic?" (paying homage to the thread "In What Way is Pluto Not a Malefic?").

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:48 pm

Jupiter Sets at Dawn wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:38 pm
Jim Eshelman wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:50 pm

TRANSITS begin with a mixed signal: You'd think transiting Sun crossing his Ascendant all day would be a sure signal of his winning,...
Is it? Or is it a sure signal of his being the center of attention. The Sun is a luminary, not a benefic.
Agreed in principle. I'm simply used to an unafflicted Sun carrying the day, especially on the issue of someone seeming a leader.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:35 am

Jim wrote:
Thanks. - And, Steve, do you see anything I've missed above? This doesn't look good for him, but conventional thought remains that he is so strong that betting against him is like betting against (say) Green Bay when it's playing a local high school team.
Jim, I agree with your bottom line analysis: “This doesn’t look good for him.” A couple of things I can add with my take: Looking at his “Co-Determinates of Fate”—Solar Arcs, his d. Neptune is partile conjunct his r Moon and partile 90 his r Sun. Ebertin says about tones for this combo:
Shared suffering, deceptions, the undermining of associations
Since his partile 90 of Natal Sun-Moon is a very important aspect in his Natal, Solar Arc Neptune lined-up partile his Sun-Moon aspect has very high probability of having something to do with this recall election, since this is a huge event in his life.

As you pointed out t. Neptune partile 90 his Natal Mars does not bold well for him pertaining to this recall election. Many times we see Mars-Neptune having to do with tormenting-defeating situations. This very important transiting Neptune factor is also in Paran Configurations with his r Mars & Pluto. Put all this malefic Neptune symbolism combo with t Sun in Paran configuration with t Neptune to his r ASC on the DAY of his recall election, this to me turns this t Sun into a malefic timing hit to the exact DAY of the recall election. This is no coincidence, IMO! Ebertin writes about the tones of Sun-Neptune-ASC:
Difficult advancement in life, a negatively inclined environment.
I will put it this way: If I could get the right betting odds on the results of this recall election, I would definitely wager some recreational $ that Gov. Newsom loses this election.

PS: I just did a goggle search and found the following link:
https://www.newsweek.com/gavin-newsom-r ... ce-1587124

This says bettors are putting their $ on Newsom to lose this recall election at 1-3 odds. If I understand correctly about recall elections, this means a bettor would have to risk 300 $ to win 100 $ that Newsom loses this recall election and will be removed from office.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:29 am

Thanks for that - good analysis.

I find myself wanting to distinguish annual and long-term effects from shorter-term effects. His solar return is disruptive, he has the Neptune transits and solar arcs - but these could simply show that the recall effort is happening in the first place. (Trump was impeached but not removed, for example.)

But the shorter term indications look bad for him, too. The transits look like a climax point in the very difficult Neptune transits. The SLR the next morning looks like a giant let-down.

Regarding the bettors, that seems insane! (Or, it would if I didn't have astrology to seem to back them up.) Those are poor odds for putting down cold cash while polls are saying the opposite about Newsom's popularity and about how likely voters will vote.

It does look like he's more likely to lose than win. (Perhaps he will make a stupid mistake between now and then?) Since no Democrat has filed for the race, Newsom's loss would mean California switches to a Republican governor.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:51 am

Jim wrote:
…he has the Neptune transits and solar arcs - but these could simply show that the recall effort is happening in the first place.
I agree.
Jim wrote:
Regarding the bettors, that seems insane!
I totally agree! When I discovered the bettor’s link I was :shock: !
Jim wrote:
Since no Democrat has filed for the race, Newsom's loss would mean California switches to a Republican governor.
Now that seems insane to me, WTF! This recall election is becoming more/most interesting to me with the prominent astrology exhibited on Recall Election Day, since I don’t follow politics I had no ideal this situation was developing in California---I need to probe further for better understanding the WHY this is happening to Newsom. Maybe JSAD/you can offer more fundamentals what Newsom did to anger so many voters in California---many readers have no idea.
Other observations:
In the Hamburg School of Astrology, the Sun indicates the DAY of the event. So, it just so happens we have here t Sun is partile conjunct Newsom’s Natal ASC forming a transiting Sun-Neptune 180 Paran on Newsom’s Natal Horizon. From the book “Mundane Astrology” Charles Harvey writes:
Sun-Neptune represents either the earthing and chanelling of some kind of vision and idealism or the dissolution and undermining of power and authority.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:53 am

Presuming this turns south for him, the critical event occurs under the July 22 Sidereal Lunar Return.

Pluto 1°21' from Asc
Saturn 1°46' from EP-a
Moon 3°07' from Asc
Sun 3°17' from Dsc
Mercury 3°29' from Dsc
Uranus 5°20' from IC

Su/Mo 0°05' from horizon
Su/Me 0°06' from Dsc
Moon-Mercury op. 0°29' mundo
Mercury-Uranus sq. 1°51' mundo
Sun-Pluto op. 1°56' mundo
Moon-Uranus sq. 2°13' mundo
Mo/Pl 0°53' from Asc

No natal planets are seriously implicated (other than natal Mercury several degrees off MC receiving Uranus and Saturn transits, Sa/Ur = Me 18').

Even here, though, there is a bit of grace. The close Venus-Jupiter opposition is (mundanely) on the Vx axis in close PVP opposition (Venus azimuth 268°26', Jupiter 88°54'). Yet this lovely aspect ties by PVP aspect into the planets closest to the horizon, the closest of which looks bad for him (but some of which look good for him).

Jupiter-Pluto sq. 0°09'
Venus-Pluto sq. 0°16'
Venus-Jupiter op. 0°28'
Sun-Venus sq. 1°34'
Sun-Jupiter sq. 1°59'

Nonetheless, if there is a "this breaks it" event coming up, that's when it occurs.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 am

Within this SLR, the August 6 Demi-SLR is a removal chart, but not with all the key factors close to the angles. The strongest factor is Uranus 1°23' from Asc. Pluto is at MC, but about 7° away. Uranus opposes his Mercury across the horizon (revelation, opening his eyes, or "surprise data"). Transiting Mercury is also strong.

This is too early to govern the election itself, but may be showing decisive events under the shocking, probably hurtful SLR.

I just had a wild, crazy idea: I'm not sure how the law reads. If Newsom were to resign from office (allowing the Democratic lieutenant governor, Elena Kounalakis, to become governor), would the election go forward now that it's been scheduled? The Gov and Lt Gov are elected separately in California, not on the same ticket. The Lt Gov isn't being recalled (and, if still Lt Gov, would continue to serve in that role no matter who wins mid-September). If Newsom resigns, there is no "solution" to provide California voters in continuing the vote to remove him. - Or, does it go that the election has been called and has to continue?

The astrological argument against this is that Newsom is scheduled to face something hard September 14 that leaves him in a state of deep disappointment the next morning. That sounds more like somebody who expected to win but lost. (I suppose the charts work well enough if he were to announce just after August 6 that he is resigning effective September 13.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:06 am

Here is a discussion of the history of recall elections and this one in particular:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Cali ... l_election

The recall campaign is described as poorly funded. Newsom's defense fund is called lavish.

I thought that no Dem was on the ballot. This article lists a dozen Dems that have filed a statement of intent to run with the California Secretary of State's office. As in the past, most candidates on all sides are minor players that would never come close to a gubernatorial nomination under ordinary conditions. Of more than two dozen Republicans who have filed, names that stand out are John Cox, who was Newsom's Republican opponent in 2018 (the projected winner if the recall is successful); Kevin Faulconer, a former San Diego mayor; and Caitlyn Jenner.

All of the predictions listed in the article (Cook Political, Inside Elections, Sabato) rank the outcome as likely Dem, with Cook's most recent projection being yesterday. However, I see from the polling data at the bottom that only in the last week have the polls changed (I haven't seen this in the news) and, for the first time, "Yes on recall" is slightly higher than "No on recall" - quite a change! (ANd yet, 14 of 16 polls - or, 8 of 10 polls of likely voters - last showed "No" as the likely outcome. I'm confused.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:21 am

Jim wrote:
The astrological argument against this is that Newsom is scheduled to face something hard September 14 that leaves him in a state of deep disappointment the next morning. That sounds more like somebody who expected to win but lost.
Exactly! The key to me is how t Sun appears to acting as a key timing DAY trigger to remove from office for this recall election.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:26 am

Steve, part of my point is that the Sun transit could be equally fulfilled if he voluntarily left office the day before (when it's even closer).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:59 am

Jim wrote:
Here is a discussion of the history of recall elections and this one in particular:
Stated in Jim’s above link is this:
...in a Nexstar Media Group poll conducted in February, more than 58 percent of voters said they would prefer a new governor in 2022.[53]
I know polls can be very miss-leading, but if this poll is accurate it definitely supports the malefic astrological symbolism on Newsom Natal for the recall election.
Jim wrote:
Steve, part of my point is that the Sun transit could be equally fulfilled if he voluntarily left office the day before (when it's even closer).
I see your point Jim. Since politics is mostly about power, his resignation would certainly keep the Democratic Party in power in California instead of risking a Republican Governor with the actual recall vote, correct?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:09 am

I don't know if it's correct. I'm not sure how the law works (and the digging I've done this morning hasn't answered that question).

Possible legal interpretation #1: If Newsom removes himself, then the legal "remedy" provided voters by the recall law is unnecessary: There is no legal reason to justify continuing to hold the election and, in fact, no legal way to hold it without removing someone who was never recalled (the current Lt Gov). Holding the election would also be a way to "backdoor" a new governor election outside the normal election cycle when there is no longer a need for the original remedy.

Possible legal interpretation #2: Once the Secretary of State has called the special election, it's required that it go forward.

Possible legal interpretation #3: This isn't clearly defined in law so the courts would have to decide.

I truly don't know which of these is correct.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:18 am

Regardless of legal interpretations with their possible outcomes, its a most interesting situation from an astrological point of view.

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:49 am

Given how “easy” his job is, I wouldn’t be surprised to see that the heaviness of the aspects is showing him *staying* in office, rather than being removed from it.
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:28 am

His Solar Return 2021 if setting in Sacramento looks dreadful!!! :shock:
I can’t look up at the moment where does the tr Jupiter line fall, and what other factors this brings to the fore. It seems it won’t be hard to find a relatively nearby location that has t Jupiter within 1* of angle.

Edit/P.S.
Houston or nearby puts Jupiter on DC; the chart sets 10/10/21 at 3:27 am CDT

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:40 am

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:28 am
His Solar Return 2021 if setting in Sacramento looks dreadful!!! :shock:
Yes, I'm really, really aware of what October 10 solar returns like this year.

Yes, his Saturn line passes exactly along the California coast and passes precisely through Oakland-San Francisco. This makes it quite close for Sacramento, where this stationary Saturn in Capricorn is 0°59' from Descendant. - Since there is nothing in the air about criminal activity, etc., that SSR (following your logic) is one of the strongest indications he'll still be in his job. - If he celebrates his birthday at home in SF, Saturn will be about 0°07' from Descendant for the year.
I can’t look up at the moment where does the tr Jupiter line fall, and what other factors this brings to the fore. It seems it won’t be hard to find a relatively nearby location that has t Jupiter within 1* of angle.
It's not that close. He might want to spend his birthday in Cheyenne, WY. The Jupiter setting line runs from southmost Texas toward the northwest, ending east of Billings, MT. Cheyenne has a Jupiter-Uranus paran.

Jupiter square MC is farther: The longitude of Houston-Omaha. (Phoenix is as bad as San Francisco.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Cheyenne has a Jupiter-Uranus paran.
:!: :idea: That’s: averting a veritable horror of a year into a year marked by ingenuity and joyousness. Wonderful!! One can not wish for a better option with the Sac/SF chart combo as is.

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Jim,
his Saturn line passes exactly along the California coast and passes precisely through Oakland-San Francisco. This makes it quite close for Sacramento, where this stationary Saturn in Capricorn is 0°59' from Descendant. - Since there is nothing in the air about criminal activity, etc., that SSR (following your logic) is one of the strongest indications he'll still be in his job.
I was looking primarily at the transiting foreground combo, from what Astro Gold can show:
Pluto-Eris, Saturn, Sun-Mars-Mercury

Adding nat Saturn to this, and seeing that the SSR Moon’s only dynamic aspect is with the tr Pluto-Eris (just a bit over 1* with each) brings a clear image of his life being threatened.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:23 pm
Adding nat Saturn to this, and seeing that the SSR Moon’s only dynamic aspect is with the tr Pluto-Eris (just a bit over 1* with each) brings a clear image of his life being threatened.
I don't see natal Saturn involved at all (in fact, no natal planets angular less than 7°). - I didn't want to dwell too much on the 2021 SSR because the main purpose of this thread is to look at what happens September 14, 2021; but here's the full breakdown of the SSR for Sacramento (SF would be similar).

Maybe the most interesting detail of the chart is that there are no foreground aspects at all except a "discovered" natal Sun-Eris square (i.e., one that doesn't exist natally, but only because of the orientation of the SSR). No foreground transiting planet aspects to either natal or SSR planets. No Moon aspects. It really ONLY boils down to transiting Saturn stationary on an angle (plus whatever Eris means, which isn't necessarily bad). In that sense, it's not a bad SSR at all - one malefic (albeit strong) but not dynamically tied to anything.

The non-foreground partile aspects are rough, and I think Mars can't be neglected aspecting both luminaries so close while Neptune is transiting his angles. That may be what compounds it and puts it over the top. But the basics of reading foreground planets and their close aspects among themselves, it's more bad than good, but it's not all that bad.

t Pluto on WP-a -2°03'
t Eris on MC -2°54'
---------------------------
t Saturn on Dsc 0°59' stationary
r Eris on Dsc +7°37'
r Sun on IC +9°59'

(No Moon aspects)

r Sun-Eris sq. 2°22' mundo

Other Partile
t Neptune sq. r Mars 0°08' mundo
t Neptune sq. r MC 0°14'
-- t Neptune op. r Asc 0°53'
t Jupiter sq. r Mercury 0°25' mundo
t Neptune sq. r Mars 0°32'
t Mars conj. r Sun 0°36' mundo
t Mars sq. r Moon 0°44'
t Mercury-Mars conj. 0°44'
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:38 pm

Got it, you were referring to tr Saturn, above.
I didn’t even go as far as to open a bi-wheel, yet, have been just too stunned with the transiting angular combo of the SSR itself.

Danica
Irish
Irish

Re: Gov. Gavin Newsom SSR 2021

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:01 pm
Cheyenne has a Jupiter-Uranus paran.
:!: :idea: That’s: averting a veritable horror of a year into a year marked by ingenuity and joyousness. Wonderful!! One can not wish for a better option with the Sac/SF chart combo as is.
Ha, and to make it even better: this brings nat Mercury to the fore!

There’s tr Saturn to nat Ma-Pl, as factor in the chart regardless of the location — vouching things will be extremely challenging, to say the least - certainly *not easy*, and not for the faint of heart to deal with, one way or another...

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Gov. Gavin Newsom SSR 2021

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm
There’s tr Saturn to nat Ma-Pl, as factor in the chart regardless of the location
Are we looking at the same chart?

r Mars 26°36' Scorpio
r Pluto 27°06' Leo

t Saturn 0°26' Capricorn

Oh, I see, you jumped to next year's SSR (I missed that at first) with Saturn at 11°50' Capricorn and you're counting octiles. FWIW, I wouldn't look at those - at least, for the main thrust of the chart, only close ecliptical and mundane conjunctions, oppositions, and squares between planets both of which are foreground (plus close Moon conjunctions, oppositions, and squares).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:02 pm

(No Moon aspects)
The Moon is oct 62’ with Pl and 63’ with Eris; my experience says the solar Moon’s octiles work within 1*30’ orb, and when within context like this - of no other Lunar aspects - I think it gains on prominence.

Edit:
(I see now your post above)
Yes, I was looking at the SSR 2021!

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:02 pm
(No Moon aspects)
The Moon is oct 62’ with Pl and 63’ with Eris; my experience says the solar Moon’s octiles work within 1*30’ orb, and when within context like this - of no other Lunar aspects - I think it gains on prominence.
Ah, yes, another example. As just mentioned (our posts leapfrogged), I don't use those in return charts. (I might consider them if there were nothing else at all that was strong in the chart, in the same sense I might consider a partile trine, sextile, semi-sextile, or quincunx as a "fill in the blanks with something" sort of aspect.)

At least, with Moon you have the principle going that "Moon aspects are always important." The Saturn to Mars-Pluto mentioned above doesn't have that elastic clause and (other than "fill in" non-angular partile aspects) I require in a return that both planets in an aspect be foreground. His Mars-Pluto are not. I suppose they could list at the bottom with the other non-foreground partile aspects but... after a while, just how many aspects do we want to list? There are already so many aspects there that are much stronger.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:20 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:53 am
Presuming this turns south for him, the critical event occurs under the July 22 Sidereal Lunar Return.
Jim, by “the critical event”, what do you mean?
Isn’t this the voting that happens on 9/14?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:20 pm
Jim Eshelman wrote:
I thought I had mentioned this in the post right above, but maybe not. I mean: Right now, there is no logical reason to think he'll lose (separate from the astrology of the matter). One way this could happen, though, is if he makes another stupid mistake (like the French Laundry incident) that ignites the effort in a big way. (This is what I meant by a "critical event.") If something in the sense of "Oh, shit, did you see that? He's dead now!") happens, I think it will occur under that SLR.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:09 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:35 pm
Danica wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:20 pm
Jim Eshelman wrote:
I thought I had mentioned this in the post right above, but maybe not. I mean: Right now, there is no logical reason to think he'll lose (separate from the astrology of the matter). One way this could happen, though, is if he makes another stupid mistake (like the French Laundry incident) that ignites the effort in a big way. (This is what I meant by a "critical event.") If something in the sense of "Oh, shit, did you see that? He's dead now!") happens, I think it will occur under that SLR.
I understand. Yes, the events develop and unfold in sequence, and it is the steps we take in the given-moment’s of observation NOW that determine all other future ones, if any ...

My comments are based solely on astrology, am not inclined one way or another about the outcome of this recall.
I am moving out of California as soon as the practical circumstances allow; experience has confirmed what looking at charts already told us, but we certainly could not know for sure and in depth as is, *in practical terms*, without the experience itself 😊 - that it isn’t the place on Earth that has the long-term most optimal conditions for life and work and type of self-expression that are in alignment with my Natal chart.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Dani, put on your blue suede shoes and board the plane.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:23 pm

The picture has now changed a bit. Over the weekend the 41 candidates to replace Newsom were announced. 21 are Republicans but - a change from earlier in the process - 20 are Democrats. However, among the Republicans are some serious candidates, including Newsom's opponent in the last election and a former San Diego mayor; the Dem candidates are all unknowns (no serious California Dem would run against Newsom).

If 41 candidates sounds like a lot, remember that there were 135 people on the ballot in 2003's recall election.

And experienced, knowledgeable commentators are still acting like it's a foregone conclusion Newsom prevails.

Mark Z. Barabak wrote today:
All signs point to Newsom beating the recall: his job approval, the overwhelming Democratic lean of the state, the failure to capture the imagination or interest of many voters. The fact the economy is coming back strong and Covid-19, at least pre-Delta variant, seemed to be tamed.

But it's not impossible to see Newsom being ousted. How? The economy could abruptly tank amid a statewide Covid-related shutdown. Our Wildfire Season From Hell could grow worse and widespread blackouts could have voters sweating in their homes amid the stink of rotting, unrefrigerated food. (Though history shows voters tend not to punish our governor for natural disasters.)

The most likely scenario involves motivation. Polls have shown the greatest intensity is on the side of those supporting the recall. So if you had a scenario where they turned out in significant number and Democrats, either apathetic or complacent, didn't bother voting, the recall passes and hello Gov. Faulconer or some other Republican. Then we do this all over again in a few months.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 pm

Got to get the Democrats motivated to get out and vote. That's how he'll lose if he does. Dems won't bother. Republicans will.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 am

Jim wrote:
And experienced, knowledgeable commentators are still acting like it's a foregone conclusion Newsom prevails.
Still very interesting given the malefic transits to his natal angles. Time will tell.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:11 am

The polls have shifted. LA Times reports that it's now an even split among likely voters. This is a narrowing against Newsom: 47% of likely voters in favor of removing him, 50% opposed. Republicans seem to be taking this election far more seriously than Democrats and Independents (who seem to think Newsom is invincible).

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... _id=746993
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am

The current Republican leader, conservative radio talk-show host Larry Elder, was born April 27, 1952, time unknown, in Los Angeles. It's worth a look at his chart, though we should be cautious drawing conclusions: First, we don't have a birth time. Second, if Newsom loses the recall vote, that doesn't mean Elder will become governor (another Republican could rise up to beat him), so Elder's fortunes aren't a good basis for predicting the outcome for Newsom.

In fact, Elder's most interesting transit is the perennial "does this mean he loses, or that he takes on great responsibility" transiting Saturn to natal Sun (either partile or not-quite, depending on the time of day he was born). Besides this, no exact transits are evident. No secondary progressions stand out. Without a birth time, no solar arc directions are evident at all. Saturn square his Sun is closer on his August 31 SLR (clearly partile), but we have no way of knowing how strong it is in that chart.

He probably had a Moon-Jupiter square square in his current SSR, though. For a fictitious "middle of the time period" noon birth, the SSR has a half-degree Moon-Jupiter square. For a 3° orb, this could be six hours either side of noon, which is about half the day. But he also had Saturn exactly square his Mars that day.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25 pm

311246 Gavin Newsom -2000
311276 Larry Elder +900
311248 Kevin Faulconer +2500
311275 Kevin Paffrath +2500
311247 Caitlyn Jenner +5000
311255 Antonio Villaraigosa +10000
311249 Eleni Kounalakis +10000
311257 Tom Steyer +12500
311254 Richard Grenell +15000
311256 Chamath Palihaptiya +25000
311251 Doug Ose +25000
311250 John Cox +25000
311252 Mary Carey +25000
311253 Mike Cernovic +25000
Politics Special Props

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm

Are they posting simple odds AGAINST Newsom?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com