Solar Arc Directions

General Discussion on Transit & Progression matters for which a specific forum does not exist
Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Solar Arc Directions

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Steve, now that you've read those five pages, let me draw your attention to a single report in Solar Fire that will give you the key to that "whole axis" analysis. - Remember, I can't vouch that this approach is entirely correct (even though I think it's somewhat correct and should be explored). That report is the Midpoint Listing.''

Let's take your chart as an example: Do an animated biwheel of your natal. Set the outside ring to Solar Arcs. Switch from a Wheel to a Dial. At a glance, it looks like maybe you have Moon to natal Ascendant-Jupiter, Sun-Uranus to Moon, Mercury to Sun-Uranus. Flipping back to the Wheel so that you can check degrees and minute, we confirm that you currently have, within 1°:

d Moon to r Ascendant (exact to the 0' right now)
d Sun to r Moon (6' sep.)
d Uranus to r Moon (43' ap)
d Mercury to r Sun (2' ap.)
d Mercury to r Uranus (27' sep)

This is a whole lot of very close solar arcs maturing all at the same time! One is exact to the minute three are exact within 6', five are exact to the degree. You can surely get a lot of information from planet-to-planet directions, including two sets involving your Sun-Uranus. We could take several pages working out the combinations, but, as a quick mention, that fact that Sun-Uranus directs to your Moon when Mercury directs to your Sun-Uranus tells me - without looking at the chart - that your Sun-Uranus square is at the Moon/Mercury midpoint. (Sun-Uranus is as far from Moon on one side as it is from Mercury on the other side.) Moon to Ascendant at the same time as Sun to Moon (within minutes!) tells me there is the extremely important picture: Moon = Sun/Asc! (Three personal points.)

Looking at your natal chart with the Midpoint Axes report (45°) confirms Mo = Su/Asc and Su = Ur = Mo/Me. But notice that we didn't need to check this to know it was there. We knew these two pictures existed in the natal because of the solar arcs maturing at the same time.

To interpret your current solar arcs, we can interpret these axe. From the Midpoint Axes report, with a 45° sort, you learn:
Su = Ur = Mo/Me = Ma/MC
Mo = Su/Asc = Ur/Asc = Ve/Sa = Ju/Ur = Su/Ju = Ma

Under this theory, you interpret the entire axis of each. In this case the midpoints are unusually important because they specifically involve natal Sun and Moon, activating their entire picture! (Progressed Sun conjunct natal Moon is obviously a big deal.)

But, just to finish the example and show you how to use the other report, the two closest aspects (only 2' apart) are Moon-to-Ascendant and Mercury-to-Sun. Criss-crossing these, you know (without having to calculate it) that, in your birth chart, the Moon/Sun midpoint (obviously a very important one) is on your Mercury/Asc midpoint. To understand all the repercussions of this, bring up the Midpoint Listing report (again, with a 45° sort).

Looking in the top half, you see that Mo/Su is 9°06' and Me/As is 9°03', confirming they are on the same axis. Next, look in the bottom half for this 9° point, going 1° either side, and you find the following lineup to interpret, all of them activated at once:

8°44' Mo/Ur
'9°03' Me/As
9°06' Mo/Su

9°56' Me/Ju
10°02' Ma/Pl

These other three midpoints (the theory goes) tell you more about what the activated intersection of Me/As and Mo/Su is about.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Meantime, a quick glance looks like Gayle has Mars to Jupiter, Midheaven to Mars, Neptune to Saturn, Sun maybe to Uranus or MC. Looking back at the Wheel, to measure more carefully, we identify that only two of them are currently in orb:

d Mars to r Jupiter (50' sep.)
d Neptune to r Saturn 54' sep.)

Neither of these is close right now, but they were exact the same month, nearly a year ago, so they make a good example. You can get information just from seeing Mars to Jupiter and Neptune to Saturn but - using our crisscross math trick - you immediately know that the Mars/Saturn midpoint is on the Jupiter/Neptune midpoint in her birth chart.

This sounds grim, especially under the simpler interpretation of the two aspects. Looking at the Midpoint Listing report for Gayle's natal, we see Ma/Sa at 13°27' and Ju/Ne at 13°29', only 02' part. Going one degree either side of these gives a complete view of the axis:

12°37' Mo/Ur
13°27' Ma/Sa
13°29' Ju/Ne

14°20' Ju/As
14°21' Su/Pl
14°26' Me/Ju

Four more midpoints are on the axis. Whatever the event not quite a year ago blending Ma/Sa with Ju/Ne, its description would also be colored by Mo/Ur, Ju/As, Su/Pl, and Me/Ju.

Does this describe anything from that time?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am

Jim asked:
What did you think of the book overall?
Love it!!! Don't understand all the technical stuff yet, but I am now in my second reading and taking notes. Its a book I can definitely learn new things and its time for me to learn new astrological things with my d Mercury = r Sun- r Uranus. Jacobson's style of writing connects with my mind. Would you happen to have an AA birth data for him? I also love his style of mixing in humor with his serious Uranian/Astrological writings.

Jim wrote:
Remember, I can't vouch that this approach is entirely correct (even though I think it's somewhat correct and should be explored).

I clearly understand Jim. The tell-tell sign for me this “approach” will be a worthy approach is if Trump wins a second term! I mean---look--if we can prove-out an “approach” which specifies certain natal midpoints at certain times with Solar Arcs......

Jim, thank you so much for taking the time, particularly with the present state of your eye problems (sight), demonstrating with my Solar Arcs/Midpoints how to view/understand with Solar Fire. This will definitely add important new learning things with my d Mercury = r Sun-Uranus. If you ever see any specific tools (dials) that would help you help us all learn more with Uranian Astrology please let me know and I will get em to you.

Solar Arc/Secondary Progressed Sun to my Natal Moon and her Midpoints is definitely illuminating with deep reflections the important women (Mother, Wife, Tina-the Psychic) in my life. I know in Sidereal Astrology we should not regulate things/people to the planets, but my recent learning with Uranian Astrology tells me to look/investigate closely the women in my life with Natal Moon and her Midpoints. It truly is exciting and illuminating (Sun-Uranus) from an inner reflecting sight which probably I am the only one who understands its true(r) personal meanings for my life. It is so potent a reflection--at times it brings tears to my eyes at this late age in my life.

Jim wrote:
Does this describe anything from that time? (about Gayle)
Indeed!!! For the Mars-Saturn/Saturn-Neptune she is starring in the face in only a short matter of time before she loses her Mother and another best friend to the issues of death. She is caring for her best friend who has lung cancer and has made the decision to die without going through chemo and all that crap—her friend is 89---like a second mother. Also, Covid—19 canceled the free Cruise trip abroad for her an another close friend. This tore her heart out right at the time she needed an R&R break from her downer life happenings!!! But she is a strong woman---much stronger than me when it comes to downers. I have said it before: Women are stronger than Men when it comes to tough times, imo.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:53 am

I have no birth data for Jacobson. I don't think he gave it in any of the Spica articles.
SteveS wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:23 am
Jim, thank you so much for taking the time, particularly with the present state of your eye problems (sight), demonstrating with my Solar Arcs/Midpoints how to view/understand with Solar Fire. This will definitely add important new learning things with my d Mercury = r Sun-Uranus. If you ever see any specific tools (dials) that would help you help us all learn more with Uranian Astrology please let me know and I will get em to you.
Thank you. I wish I could find the metal Witte 90° that were so available in the '70s through '90s - I still have my 360° dial but have lost the very useful 90° dial (probably in the 2014-15 move). I've searched the Internet for them and can't find anyone making them. They were a perfect tool.
I know in Sidereal Astrology we should not regulate things/people to the planets, but my recent learning with Uranian Astrology tells me to look/investigate closely the women in my life with Natal Moon and her Midpoints.
I more or less always think this. When there is a major Moon theme in Sidereal ingresses, I think it will be "women in the news." SOmetimes this is right, sometimes wrong: There was an ingress early this year that covered a time when major news about both Queen Elizabeth and Ruth Bader Ginsburg occurred. OTOH, I was so sure the months-long and redundant Moon-Uranus in 2016 meant that the radical breakthrough would be for women and - while there was a major shift in cultural attitude regarding women in general (which manifest strongly the next year), I was wrong about what that meant for Hillary. Especially as long as society treats women as lesser or excluded, assigning specially defined roles and limits for them, mass mind will react to this symbol. (In some cases, especially in women's charts, it's still important to think of Sun as "men in their lives," even though they have lives of their own! This may have to do with the extent to which a given woman has actualized her identity in the world rather than let it remain a projection or service for father, husband, etc. - It's no different than anybody (man or woman) often seeing cops or bosses (for example) manifest as Sun. - The impact of this on you right now seems quite precious.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 am

Jim wrote:
The impact of this on you right now seems quite precious.
It is very precious Jim! It is difficult for me to express with words. Another very important woman in my life was Kasia, the Chicago Psychic who told me in 1977(?) I would be initiated into Astrology/Higher Learning with very important out of print books. Your book "Interpreting Solar Returns" was one of the books. This was when I didn't know one thing about Astrology/Higher Learning and thought Kasia full of it! It was the insistence from my wife we go to Chicago to get a Readings from Kasia (Psychic) and her Husband (Astrologer). We spent 3 full days with em---I was ready to leave the first day but I could tell Gayle was loving em. Then things only a few weeks later started to happen in my life.....and here I am on an astrological forum writing things about my life which is actually a mystery to me. I need to reflect and figure out the months I first met Kasia & Tina--to maybe do some synastry research with Solar Arcs.

Is Jacobson still on the planet--if so--where :?:

Arena
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Arena » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 am

SteveS wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:05 am
Arena wrote:
I find solar arcs particularly interesting like Steve. I must buy that Noel Tyl book and possibly also Ebertin's book on solar arcs. I also see that Frank C. Clifford gets the best reviews on his book on solar arcs, so that one might be worthwhile as well.
Arena, yesterday morning I received Clifford's “Solar Arc Handbook” and finished reading 3:00 AM this morning. Not much new which interested my mind except what I quoted from Clifford in the Synastry Topic. IMO, Tyl's (RIP) Solar Arc Book is still the best for the serious astrologer when it comes to learning how to apply Solar Arcs. But, Clifford's book has many more (dozens) Direct Solar Arc examples vs Tyl's book. Clifford only addresses the Direct Solar Arcs; whereas, Tyl also addresses the Indirect Solar Arcs to Midpoints, which I think are very important in certain cases.

Arena, I am also learning more/better how to use Tyl's specialized Solar Arc program designed with his Solar Arc book teachings. Its a lot less cumbersome to me than using Ebertin's dials in Solarfire, imo. Since you are an active member on this forum and are interested in Solar Arcs, I would like to use your recent life happenings as a par-excellent example for the use of Solar Arcs as taught by Tyl with his specialized Solar Arc program. Let me know. :)
Sure thing Steve. There are so many important contacts being made at this important time in my life.

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:15 pm

I had an interesting and illuminating finding yesterday:
tr Uranus is at this time sq to my Sol. Arc Sun/Moon midpoint, 10' S presently!
- this is spot-on description of internal processes and the main experience-theme going on at this time!!!*

Other than this, there's no tr Uranus to the natal right now, nor any Ur prominence in the smaller-cycle charts; there's the directed Sun interlocked with nat Uranus, but that alone doesn't address the Lunar aspect of the experience (the intimacy, depth, the internal-rewiring-of-all-patterns of it...).

So, I'm bound to conclude that the natal Sun-Moon Midpoint: is active as an important point in the chart, can be directed by the Solar Arc rate, and transits to it are valid!

* [edit] looking at the notes, it's been focused, in experience, from 6/28 onward; t Ur was at 12' applying on that day; and a culmination occurred during July 4th and 5th - perfectly matching the time when the aspect was partile to the minute!
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:55 pm

D wrote:
- this is spot-on description of internal processes and the main experience-theme going on at this time!!!*
Interesting! I assume a new relationship is developing since we have a d Sun/Mo being activated by t Ur?

D wrote:
So, I'm bound to conclude that the natal Sun-Moon Midpoint: is active as an important point in the chart, can be directed by the Solar Arc rate, and transits to it are valid!
Indeed! At least by the principles of Uranian Astrology. Eleonora Kimmel (a Uranian Astrologer) says a d midpoint is important--but only when it is being completed (activated) by either a transiting, progressed, or direction. If a new relationship is beginning--it gets even more interesting when we look at your natal planetary pictures being soon brought into play with "Equal Distancing" of d Moon 120 r Venus Aug 19 and d Mercury 120 r Pl Sept 17. This will activate a huge planetary picture in your Natal with:

Me/Ve 06 Tau = Me/As 06,41 Aqu = Sun/Nep 05,17 Aqu = Me/Jup 06,41 Aqu with Mo/Pl 06,58 Vir = a grand trine to all of these midpoint factors.

And all of this is leading up to your d Sun = r Uranus Nov 27 2000. This is a huge natal planetary picture being completed (activated)! My interest is peaked! PM me and let me know what is happening. :)

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 pm

SteveS wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:55 pm
it gets even more interesting when we look at your natal planetary pictures being soon brought into play with "Equal Distancing" of d Moon 120 r Venus Aug 19 and d Mercury 120 r Pl Sept 17. This will activate a huge planetary picture in your Natal with:

Me/Ve 06 Tau = Me/As 06,41 Aqu = Sun/Nep 05,17 Aqu = Me/Jup 06,41 Aqu with Mo/Pl 06,58 Vir = a grand trine to all of these midpoint factors.
:shock: :!:

Thank you for pulling this out.

No new relationship, and nothing whatsoever has been happening in the outside world, i.e. the circumstances are the same as before. It's all been an internal process; if I were to use imagery to describe it, it would be: being exposed to the Truth (of both myself and the Universe), abiding in this stream-of-it, that is stream-of-Light, or, better yet: Stream-of-Life-Light-Breath.

... a new relationship with the Reality-of-Life! - this does sum up nicely the experience, in terms of planets included!
Amate Se Mutuo Cum Corda Ardentia

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

There are Uranian teachings which instruct internal manifestations vs the real reality of an external events and it has to do with the six Uranian personal points. I will try to quote some words later when I dig them out of my notes which I have been taking lately with my new learnings pertaining to Uranian Astrology.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:09 am

Danica wrote:
 It's all been an internal process; if I were to use imagery to describe it, it would be: being exposed to the Truth (of both myself and the Universe), abiding in this stream-of-it, that is stream-of-Light, or, better yet: Stream-of-Life-Light-Breath.
... a new relationship with the Reality-of-Life! - this does sum up nicely the experience, in terms of planets included!
8-) :)

Ebertin's Principle for Sun/Moon:
Spirit and soul, the conscious and the unconscious, vitality and feeling...
Psychological Correspondence: ...inner balance.
And this t. Uranus motion will be on this d Sun/Moon for awhile approaching exact. Also t. Jup next year will = this d Midpoint, I think.

Danica, I note some Solar Arc action last April & May with you:

d Hades 45 r Me
d Me 45 r Ma

This means with the Uranian technique for equal distancing for Solar Arcs you have a planetary picture in your Natal involving a Direct Midpoint of:

Mars/Hades = Mercury (0,02) Direct. (Very potent Midpoint in your Natal).

If you don't mind, for my learning curve with Uranian Astrology, could you PM me and let me know some the main themes going in your life April-May? It seems I remember this was a rough time for you.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am

Solar Arcs (Directions) point to those times in life when specific radix structures (midpoints) & configurations become particularly important. Each structure (midpoint) in the natal may be understood on at least two levels:

1: As a general background forming the overall context of the native's experience throughout significant portions, if not all, of the lifetime.

2: As more or less specific events which are manifested at specific times that can be rather accurately established by the application of solar arc directions.

The Language of Uranian Astrology, by Roger A. Jacobson
Solar Arcs are a very simple system with great power and implication. Solar Arcs function purely as a timer creating events described by the natal factors it connects and at times timed by the transits. Also use Solar Arcs as a connection timer between transiting factors creating events in the native’s life.
Gary Christen, teaching lecture in the Public Domain.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 am

Yes, this is the main thing I've been discussing in the Uranian astrology thread, but I haven't gotten around to saying the following yet:

Tropical astrologers traditionally hold to a root principle that nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart. I bold and underline that for reference, not to emphasize that it's necessarily true. It is, however, a hypothesis capable of being tested. Whether true or not, it has an emotional lure. One would like to think that life were in a neater, more manageable package, though that's surely too naïve to be true. Also, this principle unquestionably was articulated long before the computer age, even before calculating many charts (by hand) was feasible. We've learned, in decades since, that prediction often requires many different charts (something Siderealists almost wear as a lifestyle) that, admittedly, in the '50s, '60s, '70s, etc. was impractical.

So, oh... to be able to have one single chart in front of you from which every single important event in the life could be read!

The great Evangeline Adams is an outstanding example of where much of this came from. She was so poor at calculating horoscopes that, once she got a natal chart in hand, she'd use it for everything! She was a great user of horary astrology - a chart cast for the moment a question is asked, from which to read all the potential future unfolding of that question. Adams was so poor at calculating charts (I suspect she had someone else do that for her) that she would do horary by calculating only the Ascendant and house cusps for the moment of a question then putting her client's NATAL planets inside it, instead of the planets of the moment. This came to be called the accidental Ascendant technique.

So a lot of the "it all has to be in the natal" comes from a time when having a single chart for a person in hand was a big deal, secondary progressions tended to be done only for one date in the year and generalized from there for the whole year, and transits were too damn hard to seriously consider doing other than, broadly, watching planets pass thr9ugh somebody's houses.

But... all that aside... is the underlying principle true? Is it true that nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart? And, if so, then what would it look like.

We know at least some ways in which it isn't true, but they nearly fall in the "act of God" category. Specifically, mundane astrology shows us patterns that affect the great masses outside of the framework of their individual charts. An obvious example right now would be the reshaping of the conditions of life by COVID-19. All of these conditions are easily shown by Saturn in Capricorn along with the added punch of Saturn-Pluto being the dominant aspect in the Capsolar. Individual charts will show individual sub-plots in this story, but the bigger story is obviously affecting more or less everyone in large and small ways independent of their own charts. Let's acknowledge and skip over these and move on...

In traditional Tropical astrology, trying to make this rule fit has led to obscure straining at the chart, nearly always involving house rulerships - and often very complex interweavings of house rulership considerations. To be blunt, the entire technique is BS. Of everything that has ever crept into astrology, house dispositorship in general and it's use to justify every damn thing that comes along has done astrology enormous damage - perhaps more damage than any other thing - because it has reduced it to a system where you can prove anything you want from the chart, any time you want; which, of course, reduces it to you can't objectively know anything.

But, before moving on, an example, in case you aren't familiar with the extremity. Let us assume (ahem) that I would suddenly find myself working from home in my employment for a long stretch (like I am right now). Under the rule, this could never happen unless the possibility already shows in my birth chart. (Fortunately, the rules are elastic enough to allow us to find anything.) Under the usual premises, it could never happen unless planets in or ruling my 4th house (home) have an appropriate connection to planets in or ruling my 6th house (work), or perhaps my 10th house (career), or, if really pushed to the wall, my 2nd house (making money). The simplest connection is that Jupiter, ruling my 4th house, is exactly conjunct Uranus, ruling my 6th house, so sure, it would be natural (by this theory) that home and work would come together. We could then use at least 20 other considerations in the chart to describe the details of this.

That's an example. (It's a simple one. They can easily get more complicated.)

Hindu astrology has similar weaknesses in this - the whole house dispositorship picture if used heavily in those methods as well, plus many more rules not found in Western astrology, plus plus the ability to role these rules through 16 sub-charts. To again be blunt, it's quite a mess. However, they do bring one interesting new concept to the whole thing: While every planet and house has dozens of applicable rules and relationships that make it unfeasible to interpret as a "natal reading," they then have a system (the Vimshottari Dasa method of periods and sub-periods) that "activate" one or two planets at a time. Their premise is that, what a planet's period comes, everything connected with that planet is activated - the light switch is turned on - and all that stuff in the natal has a chance to unfold.

Thus, beginning December 2019 and lasting until September 2022, I'm in the Mercury subperiod of the major Venus period. One would expect that the entire 20 years from 2004 through 2023 would be Venus-themed for me, with the current 1,020 days having a Mercury focus. This, at least, becomes manageable. Of course, all the rules of their system apply to determining what that might mean (and most of those rules are nonsense), but the underlying idea is intriguing and more manageable, that we have certain times in life when specific "natal potential" unlocks. - In my case, one might even be able to see the COVID-19 lockdown and "work from home," since Mercury rules my 10th house of career and is located in the 2nd house of money conjunct Saturn. (This is almost too severe: It implies worse losses than have occurred, and I'm not eager to start thinking that they will still occur. But it least it's reasonable symbolism.)

From the last few paragraphs, I'd like you to take away two ideas: (1) The ways this "everything big that happens has to be shown in the natal" rule has been applied in both traditional Tropical and Hindu astrology has been built on nonsense. (2) A Hindu astrology idea that (theoretically) brings greater integrity and manageability to the theory is the idea that there are certain points in life when a planet's natal pattern unfurls as events; and that, when this occurs, everything connected to that planet is potentially expressed.

In Sidereal astrology, this rule hasn't ever been asserted. There is acknowledgement that innate native patterns can be unlocked or re-expressed but - especially since we rely on few factors that have greatest certainty - it usually isn't possible to trace every single event to the natal chart. (I don't find this a loss. I find it realistic and more consistent with the limits of what astrology can do.)

Even though I don't require Fagan or Bradley ever discussing the "everything is in the natal" principle, it undoubtedly was in their minds - its discussion was so prevalent during their years of becoming astrologers. I think it is likely the main idea underlying Fagan (and later Bradley) initially claiming that a Solar Return is the new natal horoscope for a year, with a Lunar Return serving the same function for a month. That is, I think what he was saying was that, since one expects everything important that happens to shown in the natal chart, this is only true if you look not at the birth chart but for the "new natal" for the year and month called the Solar Return and Lunar Return.

Siderealists, then, don't normally think about the "everything is in the natal" rule - except that we do, in a sense, if you count the Solar Return and Lunar Return as temporary substitute natal charts.

This brings us to Cosmobiology and the application of Solar Arcs.

Remember: What follows is theory. I've seen lots of examples that something like this happens, but I can't speak to it having regular reliability. Nonetheless, there is a theoretical possibility to explore.

Something unique to directions in contrast to either progressions or transits is that the relationship of the directed planets to each other always remains exactly the same as in the natal chart. Since everything in the chart moves at the same pace, it isn't a set of new planets; it's more like a clock timing out when parts of the original natal chart are brought into strongest play.

Solar Arc directions are entirely about patterns pre-existing in the natal chart unlocking. Sure, you can just take them as single aspects - Moon aspecting your Venus or Mars aspecting your Jupiter or whatever - but the mathematical potential is that it is an unlocking of all the pre-existing mathematical properties of the planets involved.

IF it is true that "nothing can happen anytime in one's life unless it is already described in the natal chart," Solar Arc directions are probably where we will find that. Look, though, how it differs from how other methods discussed: It isn't reliant on houses or their rulerships, nor on bountiful complex symbolic rules. Using only the one rule that planets and midpoints can meaningfully aspect other planets and midpoints with all 45° aspects and small orbs, it acknowledges that a planet's natal condition can be complicated - but then gives specific points in time when that potential is most activated (like the Dasa system).

Admittedly, this also all developed long before the computer age and also was an attempt to take one chart - the birth chart - and use it for everything. Because of complexity, its authors had to create new tools, especially the dials that would make the information readily available, and they then developed techniques to use those dials to rapidly unlock future timing. Where it differs from earlier approaches is that it is more constrained and manageable, is based on individual techniques (midpoint contacts) that are confirmed to be real, and is rational and measurable.

That's why we should test it and see if it meets that promise. It violates nothing that Sidereal astrology has confirmed. It is supplemental.

In concept, the method of unlocking what was already initially stated in the natal chart can be pretty straightforward. I will give two short examples.

At birth, I have Mercury at my Jupiter/Pluto and Uranus/Pluto midpoints within half a degree. (There are other things on the axis, but let's start with this.) As a natal factor, these accurately show much of what my life has been about (although tabulating all the things our midpoints can say about us is tedious and confusing). - As a predictive cue, in theory these midpoints would be activated when, by Solar Arc, the planets came to each other. Me = Ur/Pl means that my Mercury is as far from Uranus on one side as from Pluto on the other side (about 14° from each.) With no calculation at all, we could expect it to activate about the time I'm 14 years old. - Calculating more carefully, we find:

d Jupiter sq. r Mercury 8/13/1968
d Uranus sq. r Mercury 11/24/1968
d Mercury sq. r Pluto 8/20/1969

What happened? I got into astrology! I bought my first astrology magazine in September 1968 and it rapidly became my primary intellectual absorption in the months after. Not only does this fit the individual directions of Jupiter-Mercury and Uranus-Mercury (and, later, Mercury-Pluto), but it shows the radical, positive, awakening influence on my mind consistent with Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl.

By theory, everything else on that same Mercury axis would be activated at the same time. I picked the two most obvious midpoints, but could also have picked Me = Ve/Ne. I'm inclined to say that my initial exposure and enrapturement with astrology was quite romantic and idealistic. The "feel" fits.

Isolating this from the natal chart took only seconds. One would expect this natal Me = Ur/Pl = Ju/Pl to be activated at the date above, at roughly 45-year intervals (as the Solar Arc comes around to another angle), and also (in a different way) anytime anything else came to solar arc aspect to my Mercury. With a 90° these are easy to find in seconds: For example, d Mars squared Mercury the fall I entered college (think of this not just as Mars-Mercury - which gives a hint, but isn't clear - but as Mars triggering Me - Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl = Ve/Ne). Progressed/directed Sun conjoined my Mercury in 1979-80 when I was writing for Mattel, writing Interpreting Solar Returns, and about to go work my first real adult job managing publications for ACS. - We'd expect Jupiter and Uranus to be back (by semi-square) about 45 years after 1968, i.e., 2013 (it did) and so much Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl was happening then, such as our explosive, revelatory work with Sidereal mundane astrology (the first edition of my book on the subject came out in 2013).

Of all these "hits," the strongest are those actually stemming from the original natal midpoint structure. For example, directed Moon to my Mercury was felt, but wasn't really worth mentioning compared to the explosive, dynamic results of the exact unlocking near ages 14 and 59 of Me = Ju/Pl = Ur/Pl = Ve/Ne. This narrows our incidents quite a lot and is easy to manage.

That's an example of a straightforward midpoint construct, one planet to a set of midpoints. We can do the same thing with "equal gaps," i.e., two or more midpoints that aspect each other. For example, my Moon/Pluto midpoint conjoins my Mars/Neptune midpoint (0°23'), which sounds emotionally charged and hurtful, likely involving separation. This would come to maturity whenever the charted midpoint (about 15° Hub) would be triggered by any of these four planets or by other planets. It's easy to use a physical dial to find these times and somewhat more tedious with a computer.

I've done a few of these. They don't seem to unlock obvious, big events like the planet-midpoint natal contacts.

THE END
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 am

Solar Arcs serves therefore as a timing mechanism whereby radix structures are activated. Jacobson, "The Language of Uranian Astrology."
Comparing Joe Biden's and Trump's Solar Arcs for 2020 Prez election, timed within 2 months of the election, Trump wins with benefic Solar Arcs activation and Biden with malefic Solar Arc activation. This will be a good test for Jacobson's above words using the Uranian System of Solar Arcs/Natal Activation. I still will not bet one nickle on this election---too much mixed malefic stuff I see for both candidates, could mean other things besides the election itself.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am

Last Sat Aug 1 I had an accident while working in my yard. I was weed eating and severely turned my angle, which was no big deal, but I threw out my lower back tearing some ligaments. Its got me mostly immobilized confined to laying on my back seeing a chiropractor twice a week. Aug 28 I have Solar Arc Uranus exact 45 Radical Mars which is the par-excellent aspect for any kind of serious injury both with the Uranian School and the Cosmobiologist (Ebertin) School. Mostly, the Uranian Schools use a 5 minute (1 month) approaching orb and a 5 minute separating orb for planet to planet Solar Ark hits, longer time orbs for the personal points. So, this Uranus Arc hit to my r Mars appears to be the timing symbolism for my injury.

It could be worse but I have yard work to do and now I have got to find someone to do this work. :x

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am

You mean August 1 this year? (Not quite a week ago?) Sorry to hear that, Steve! I hope you heal well soon.

(My first impression was that you were saying August 1, 2019.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:47 am

SteveS wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am
So, this Uranus Arc hit to my r Mars appears to be the timing symbolism for my injury.
Uranus to Mars is good symbolism for an accidental injury.

As you may have noticed, though, thee is a more immediate, symbolically exact indication in your Sidereal Lunar Return July 29, with natal Saturn and Pluto very closely setting:

26°14' Cancer - SLR Dsc
24°03' Cancer - r Saturn (0°40' below Dsc)
20°14' Cancer - r Pluto (2°15' above Dsc)

Since you "did it to yourself," it was skeletal, immobilized you, and probably arose while you looked every bit the classic Saturn figure standing swinging something resembling a scythe, it seems that natal Saturn less than a degree from the angle, Pluto also quite close, and your natal Saturn-Pluto conjunction tightened to 2°55' in mundo, it seems pretty descriptive.

It could only be better - in the astrological sense - if it involved a joint, to express your Saturn and Pluto placements in Cancer. I wonder, though, with your weed whacker... Garth Allen liked to talk about a famous Cancer golfer whose trademark hand-positions for his swing resembled the astrological glyph for Cancer pretty closely :)

Another detail of the SLR, less on target but fitting (and I almost missed it): SLR Moon is 6°20' before MC and SLR Neptune is 6°20' before Ascendant, so you have a 0°00' Moon-Neptune mundane square foreground in your SLR for your "oops" and for your convalescence.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:03 am

Good Sidereal Astrology symbolism Jim for the SLR chart. By what my chiropractor is saying ---expect a 3-4 month recovery with rehab. :( So, a significant injury.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:52 am

Ouch!
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 pm

SteveS wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:03 am
Good Sidereal Astrology symbolism Jim for the SLR chart. By what my chiropractor is saying ---expect a 3-4 month recovery with rehab. :( So, a significant injury.
Oh Steve what a bummer. Feel good soon!!! I hope that you are supplementing your diet with extra vitimins and minerals and good proteins to help the healing!! Im glad your seeing a chiropractor and I hope that if your primary care thinks necessary you get some physical therapy excersizes to do.
I hope you find good help for your yard. Maybe a neighborhood teen? Best of luck!

FlorencedeZ.
Zodiac Member
Zodiac Member

Post by FlorencedeZ. » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:16 am

Wishing you the very best Steve, this is quite a long time and not the thing you were expecting. Like Veronica says, natural supplements may be of help and a relief. Take good care. Flo

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks Flo and Veronica. What bothers the most is my immobility, I think I will have enough mobility in a couple of weeks to start doing light specialized exercises which will put me back on the road of full recovery. :)

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:52 am

I'm sorry you got hurt. Us old people are not able to do what we used to, even though we feel the same as we used to. It's not nearly as bad as your injuries, but I fell while trying not to step on the cat and broke a toe this week. Are we having fun yet?

Trying to get back to regular activities too fast is counterproductive. Guess how I know. Take it slow and do what your physical therapist says even if it seems unhelpful. They really do know what to do.

Again, sucks to be old. Take any advantage you can. We earned those free coffees and old folk discounts.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:16 am

JSAD wrote:
Are we having fun yet?
:) :) :)
Again, sucks to be old.
You indeed got that right! For the first time in my life I now realize why they call portable computers Lap Tops, by being laid-up in my bed flat on my back most of the day.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:20 am

Sucks to be old, but it's better than the alternative.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com