Dormancy Question?

Q&A and discussion on Sidereal Solar & Lunar Ingresses, and transits & quotidian progressions of solar ingress.
CryptoVatic
Planet Member
Planet Member

Dormancy Question?

Post by CryptoVatic » Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 am

When searching for a Cap Solar chart as a base to render some Quotidian charts; I realized the Cap Solar was dormant according to the Mundoscope. I then tried the CanSolar, LibSolar, and AriSolar charts but they were all dormant.

I then just made the 8 remaining zodiac charts to see if any were active. I found 4 charts that had a planet within 3 degrees of an angle; TaurusSolar, GeminiSolar, VirgoSolar, and PiscesSolar. In particular two charts stand out in the Mundoscopes:
GeminiSolar has Neptune exactly on the ASC, and the Moon within 3 degrees of the ASC.
VirgoSolar has Jupiter 1 degree from MC, the Moon is 2 degrees from IC, and Saturn is 3 degrees from the ASC.

How do I decide which Solar chart to use for my Quotidians?

Maybe the VirgoSolar chart since it has the most active planets?

Thanks

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Dormancy Question?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed May 09, 2018 10:41 am

CryptoVatic wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 am
When searching for a Cap Solar chart as a base to render some Quotidian charts; I realized the Cap Solar was dormant according to the Mundoscope. I then tried the CanSolar, LibSolar, and AriSolar charts but they were all dormant.
Yes, this occasionally happens. I recently found one event that had all four solar ingresses AND all four lunar ingresses dormant. (It waws the 1992 LA riots.)
I then just made the 8 remaining zodiac charts to see if any were active. I found 4 charts that had a planet within 3 degrees of an angle; TaurusSolar, GeminiSolar, VirgoSolar, and PiscesSolar.
There is no evidence that non-Rim (non-Cardinal) ingresses work. I've done small pilot studies, e.g., most recent ingress for the large collection of fires (a data set that is highly responsive to charts) and found random angularities. I understand that you found some interesting examples, but I think in a systematic survey across many events of one type, you would find that these examples are coincidence.

Of course, if they aren't, we'd want to know about it! :)
How do I decide which Solar chart to use for my Quotidians? Maybe the VirgoSolar chart since it has the most active planets?
No. Two errors here.

First, as mentioned above, I don't think any of these non-Rim ingresses have any value at all, based on evidence to date.

Second, the issue of what ingress to use for quotidians is not linked to the issue of which planet has angular planets originally. Independent of dormancy, the Capsolar Quotidian is the hands-down leader and should always be the first to check. Even if the Capsolar is dormant, the Capsolar Quotidian and transits are the best techniques on the books.

The Cansolar Quotidian often is good, but only about 75% as often as the CapQ. The Arisolar and Libsolar Quotidians will, on occasion, have a striking example, but their reliability overall is quite poor.

In the current version of Sidereal Mundane Astrology (free download), see Appendix C where the relative strength of different ingresses is statistically compared. You may also want to dig through the important Chapter 34, on Quantifying Techniques, for more in-depth comparison of the CapQ and CanQ.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

CryptoVatic
Planet Member
Planet Member

Post by CryptoVatic » Wed May 09, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply Jim, but where can I download the current Sidereal Mundane Astrology?

My version starts at chapter 3, and ends at Appendix B.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed May 09, 2018 11:49 am

Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com