Interpreting Solar & Lunar Ingresses

Q&A and discussion on Sidereal Solar & Lunar Ingresses, and transits & quotidian progressions of solar ingress.
Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Interpreting Solar & Lunar Ingresses

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu May 11, 2017 2:05 pm

(Updated 8/18/16.)

A strategy has evolved for tabulating information we want to assess in interpreting a solar or lunar ingress for a particular location. The interpretation itself is a mixture of science and art, resting first on correctly identifying the operative factors. I recommend the following approach - but, first, some definitions...
ac
DEFINITIONS & PRELIMINARIES
"Angular," for this purpose, shall include all foreground planets (within 10° of the meridian or horizon as measured in PV longitude); conjunction or opposition to the Eastpoint (within 3° as measured in Right Ascension); or square the Ascendant (3° by longitude) or Midheaven (2° in longitude; 3° seems excessive in practice).

"Dormant" means that no planet is within 3° of the horizon or meridian (in PV longitude), or 2° (if a single planet) or 3° (if two or more planets together) from the secondary angularities as listed above.

Aspect used are conjunctions, oppositions, and squares. Generally the top effective orb in these ingresses is 3°, though for conjunctions and oppositions this can be stretched closer to 4°. Other than Moon aspects, the only aspects considered are between foreground/angular planets.

ANALYSIS
1. MOON ASPECTS. Identify conjunctions, oppositions, or squares of Moon to another planet within an orb of 3° (or, for conjunctions and oppositions, as much as 4°). These may be ecliptical or mundane aspects.

2. SCREEN FOR DORMANCY. Based on criteria given above, determine whether the chart is dormant. If so, stop reading it: its predecessor ingress flows through and continues to operate. If the chart is active (non-dormant), continue.

3. ANGULAR PLANETS. Determine which planets are angular. (These, and planets aspecting Moon, are the only planets you will consider in reading the chart.) As discussed previously, a planet is angular if within 10° of the horizon or meridian in Prime Vertical longitude (i.e., in the mundoscope), within 3° of Eastpoint or Westpoint in Right Ascension, within 3° of square Ascendant in celestial longitude, or within 2° of square Mid-heaven in celestial longitude.

4. ASPECTS. Identify conjunctions, oppositions, or squares between angular planets within a 3° orb (for conjunctions and oppositions, up to 4°). Consider ecliptical and mundane aspects equally.

5. MIDPOINTS TO ANGLES. Of the angular planets, identify pairs that are equidistant from angles by checking for midpoints to angles within 1°. Measure these in the same framework as the angularity (Prime Vertical for horizon and meridian, longitude for ecliptical squares to the angles, RA for Eastpoint/Westpoint).

This provides the raw mathematical information on which sound assessment rests. Chapter 6 of SMA gives interpretations for planetary angularity and aspects.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish
Re: Interpreting Solar & Lunar Ingresses

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:22 am

Jim, help me on my thinking here, I am somewhat confused.
Jim wrote:
"Dormant" means that no planet is within 3° of the horizon or meridian (in PV longitude), or 2° (if a single planet) or 3° (if two or more planets together) from the secondary angularities as listed above.
Under the above criteria-- the DC & NY 2020 Cansolar is Dormant

Jim wrote:
2. SCREEN FOR DORMANCY. Based on criteria given above, determine whether the chart is dormant. If so, stop reading it: its predecessor ingress flows through and continues to operate. If the chart is active (non-dormant), continue.
So, we are to ‘stop reading’ the 2020 Cansolar because it is Dormant.

Jim wrote:
"Angular," for this purpose, shall include all foreground planets (within 10° of the meridian or horizon as measured in PV longitude);

BUT, Jim wrote:
5. MIDPOINTS TO ANGLES. Of the angular planets, identify pairs that are equidistant from angles by checking for midpoints to angles within 1°. Measure these in the same framework as the angularity (Prime Vertical for horizon and meridian…
Here is my confusion: Do you only mean we are only looking for partile PV ‘midpoints to angles’ involving a pair of planets 3 degrees or less from the angles for non-dormancy? Or, do you mean any pair of planets 10 degree or less from primary angles forming a partile PV midpoint, possibly still classifying the 2020 NY Cansolar as non-dormant?

I am sure you understand my questioning here thinking this 2020 NY Cansolar has the possibility of symbolizing Mars/Neptune panic market conditions on Wall Street in the Autumn months of 2020?

Simple answer: Is the 2020 NY Cansolar featuring this partile PV Mars/Neptune=Asc dormant or non-dormant??

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:20 am

SteveS wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:22 am
Under the above criteria-- the DC & NY 2020 Cansolar is Dormant
Exactly. Of no value for DC or NY as a static chart (meaning: of course it will be subject to transits and progressions, but nothing otherwise). Exception is the universal (worldwide) Moon-Venus conjunction 1°35'. The sole meaning of the Cansolar for DC and NY, therefore, will be in terms of this Moo-Venus aspect: peace, public happiness, and celebration, alliances rather than antipathies, stories of love holding the public’s attention more than usual, and an extra layer of protection against most categories of violent tragedy.
So, we are to ‘stop reading’ the 2020 Cansolar because it is Dormant.
Yes. I listed Moon aspects first because we read them no matter what; but, after that, stop reading.
Jim wrote:
"Angular," for this purpose, shall include all foreground planets (within 10° of the meridian or horizon as measured in PV longitude);
Except you've already passed the "stop reading" mark. This would be important if the ingress weren't dormant. but not in a dormant ingress.
BUT, Jim wrote:
5. MIDPOINTS TO ANGLES. Of the angular planets, identify pairs that are equidistant from angles by checking for midpoints to angles within 1°. Measure these in the same framework as the angularity (Prime Vertical for horizon and meridian…
Here is my confusion: Do you only mean we are only looking for partile PV ‘midpoints to angles’ involving a pair of planets 3 degrees or less from the angles for non-dormancy? Or, do you mean any pair of planets 10 degree or less from primary angles forming a partile PV midpoint, possibly still classifying the 2020 NY Cansolar as non-dormant?
Any midpoints involving (only) planets that are foreground or angular. For example, two planets 8° on opposite sides of an angle have their midpoint right on the angle, and that's important EXCEPT not in dormant ingress. If the ingress is dormant, we read the Moon aspects and then stop reading anything else.
I am sure you understand my questioning here thinking this 2020 NY Cansolar has the possibility of symbolizing Mars/Neptune panic market conditions on Wall Street in the Autumn months of 2020?

Simple answer: Is the 2020 NY Cansolar featuring this partile PV Mars/Neptune=Asc dormant or non-dormant??
Nope. The only thing relevant is the Moon-Venus conjunction.

Elaboration that I hope doesn't confuse: I think dormant ingresses have a minor contribution in psychological tone. But I know you aren't interested in the subtle psychological tone and (other than Moon aspects) dormant ingresses contribute nothing else toward events. If I were to read this chart in all its subtleties, I might read tis Mars/Neptune midpoint not as panic but as the "butterflies" and nervous heart flutter of a man in love :)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:11 am

Thanks Jim, I am no longer confused about this midpoint matter.