Dubhe (Alpha Ursa Major) - 20°27' Cancer

Q&A and discussion on Fixed Stars
Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Dubhe (Alpha Ursa Major) - 20°27' Cancer

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 pm

Dubhe is the second brightest star in Ursa Major (though called Alpha), a 2nd magnitude star nearly circumpolar. it's name comes from the Arabic dubb, "bear." (Alioth, the Epsilon star, is a little brighter.)

Ursa Major is known by three common images in modern English. It is (as the Latin says) the Great Bear; also the Plough or Wain, and the Big Dipper. It isn't clear to me yet how these titles bear on its meaning if at all.

Ptolemy said that the stars of Ursa Major are like Mars. Consistent with this, Reinhold Ebertin calls it destructive, saying it "[works] itself out particularly in mundane maps, in a nasty way, if this fixed star is in conjunction with Saturn." He cites its conjunction with Moon for Mao Tse Tung and with Saturn for Hitler.

i find Sun conjunct Dubhe not for destructive people so much as for fighters and people of keen focus and intense impact: Andy Warhol; Robert Mueller; the 15th century pope Sixtus IV who built the Sistine Chapel, founded the Vatican archives, and kick-started the Renaissance; and Alexander Fleming who discovered penicillin.

For Moon conjunct Dubhe I find a mixed bag: infamous daredevil Evel Knievel, Mae Zedong as Ebertin mentioned, several noteworthy artists, and the very significant missionary and historian Francisco Palou among others. I'm not sure what the common element would be.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com