Seeking Spica

General discussion. What do you want to talk about?
Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Seeking Spica

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun May 07, 2017 4:59 pm

This thread is excised from another thread ("Welcome to Solunars") where discussion of this topic began.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish
Re: Welcome to Solunars.com

Post by SteveS » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Below is a link to another astrological forum with two posts, Nov 21 and Nov 27 2007 by Philip Graves ('a quite serious historian of modern astrology'), which offers an excellent historical reference to Sidereal Astrology. As you will be able to tell with this link—the old written teachings of Sidereal Astrology are close to becoming extinct. Jim Eshelman’s forum here is the only Sidereal Astrology forum where direct access to certain teaching's for Sidereal Astrology is possible.

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2978

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:07 am

On June 29 2019 I sent PG on his forum the following PM:
I am interesting is purchasing all of Firebrace Spica Newsletters. Do you know if these Issues are available?
Thanks Steve
I never heard from PG and periodically check his forum. It appears PG is no longer active. PG was the only active astrologer I know who at one time was interested in collecting historical Sidereal Astrology writings by Sidereal Astrologers authors.

Veronica
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Veronica » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 am

Steve,

I cant check till Im back at work Monday, but the OCLC database gets updated regularly as well as World Cat which gives listings not exclusive to Library of Congress material. I recently searched World Cat and was suprised to find my local University (RIT) had a copy of Applied Cosmobology, which I borrowed through Interlibrary loan.
If you have the means ($) I would suggest that you become best friends with the biggest Library in your areas Reference Librarian and make earnst inquiries in where the works you are interested in are and if you can get copies. Which could be extremely costly.
Other possible avenues as these materials may soley be in private hands and not linked up via library catalogs, is to inquire to rare books and empheria dealers who have listings of private collections and resources.
A phone call or two to Cornell Universits rare books department may also provide good leads. They have an unbelievable collection of arcane material, most not open to the public and most uncataloged. I had been planning a daytrip there when the weather breaks and the students are mostly gone.

Veronica
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Veronica » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 am

According to current oclc records SPICA is held at the New York Public Library on film/fische
And the zuniversity of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

4 other sources are out of the country

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 am

As a librarian, are you able to pull hard or digital copies of these?
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Veronica » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 am

I asked. It appears that the U of I has the whole print set. Yet periodicals are typically reference only. Which may mean they will not loan them out of house. Im not sure the copyrights with these so they most likely will not photocopy them in entirety.
NyPL is microfirm which means no lending out at all.
I may allowed to borrow the set from Uof I as my organization is a school....we shall see.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am

All rights to spica were purchased by two people who are now dead. Their children had no interest in the past, and they stopped publishing new issues of Spike after a couple of years. I know that you need to be mindful of potential rights issues, in the practicality on this one is that nobody is going to complain.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:47 am

:D ,Great Veronica--keep us informed.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:25 am

I've herd from PG. He wrote me this morning and, after explaining he's been off on a job and just back home a few days ago, he wrote:
My run of Spica is incomplete but lacks only eight complete issues and has incomplete copies of two of the missing eight (a previous owner pulled out an article or two in each).

Nick Campion told me a few years ago that he has some issues of Spica in his attic in Bristol, and it might be that the Astrological Association Library would have them all, so perhaps with a bit of co-operation we could arrive at a full scan!

There are no spares for sale here, but I'd be happy in principle to take high-quality scans of those I do have. However, because I don't know if the editor, Brigadier Firebrace, left any heirs, and technically the material will still in copyright until 2045 (70 full years after his death), I'd feel more comfortable taking scans if your colleague would be willing to something to the effect of taking personal responsibility for the copying in the unlikely event of a future claim. Otherwise I might have to dig around in the UK astrological community first and see if anyone knows anything about Firebrace's family in order to show I've made a proper attempt at tracing the copyright holder, and that would take longer.
I responded:
...this is exciting. Here is what I know: Spica was bought outright by Karen Wilkerson and Joan Piszek. They put out only a couple of issues (maybe slightly more) and didn't make a go of it, so nothing further happened. Joan died decades ago. Karen might still be alive but not heard from in astrological circles for decades, and her children (when I knew them) had no interest in the subject. I'm happy to take personal responsibility, intend this as research archive, and will remove it from availability if there is any objection from an emerging heir.

Copying these would be a great deal of work. I suspect my colleague would be willing to compensate you for your time if you could estimate what fair compensation might be.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:41 am

:D Great news Jim!

Jim wrote:
Copying these would be a great deal of work. I suspect my colleague would be willing to compensate you for your time if you could estimate what fair compensation might be.
Indeed Jim, Just let me know PG's expense for copying these and transmitting em to you. I will mail you the check when you tell me its time.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:26 am

Next follow-up from PG:
Thank you, Jim!

I actually heard from Karen Wilkerson's son recently through my website. He was looking to know if there's anyone in the US still carrying on working with sidereal astrology who wants his mum's papers. Because he evidently doesn't want the material to go abroad, I could suggest you to him, but I suspect you're already acquainted with him as he probably has raised similar enquiries on forums you've frequented!

Yes, it will take time to scan so many issues, though having scanned the entire run of Modern Astrology before now, I'm not that daunted by the shelf-space taken up by Spica by comparison.

If I'm taking private scans I generally charge my time at GBP £25 per hour as that helps to contribute to the funds for other sources but is not an excessive rate I think.

The book scanner I use is quick and efficient, so I can get quite a lot done in an hour, but overall the job could be quite a few hours, especially given that we're dealing with comb bindings and pages take longer to turn.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:31 am

No problem for me Jim with Phillip's expense rate so make arrangements for him to scan and transmit to you. Do you know Phillip's handle for his website?
Last edited by SteveS on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am

I don't. We've been communicating via Facebook. - I'll pass along your confirmation.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Marduk
Re: Seeking Spica

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:18 am

I've migrated this discussion over to this new thread.

Steve, PG just wrote,
I'm also sure I talked with a Steve on [the forum] around when I first posted about 'The Constellations' there - maybe the same Steve responded to that post?

I can't formally sell any of the issues as they are unique ones to the library, but provided you or Steve is willing to take responsibility for the scans, that's fine.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:25 am

I won't be able to start the scanning straight away as I'm doing some research work for a British astrologer this weekend but in a week or two should be ready to begin.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Veronica » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:34 am

This is fantastic!
I heard yesterday from the librarian at U of I and they would only be able to send out /copy specific articles, not the entire publication.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 am

Jim, when you receive PG's scanned copies of Spica, I am curious, app how long will it take you to post Spica's issues on your forum?

Jim Eshelman
Marduk

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:15 am

When i can sit down to it... Only minutes, actually. Maybe some logistical technicalities that would slow it down sligjtly but, really, al. Ist immediately.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:02 am

Jim wrote:
When i can sit down to it... Only minutes, actually.
8-) Does Phillip e-mail you only one link which contains all the journals? Trying to understand this process.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:07 am

I don't think he's emailing any links. I think he'll send an email with the PDF files attached. Jim will upload the PDFs and post a link or links to them. It'll probably be one PDF per journal.

We'll explain it when it happens. You will be able to download to your computer, or print out each PDF if you prefer so you can underline and make margin notes.

SteveS
Irish
Irish

Post by SteveS » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks JSAD--this allows me the understanding I was seeking.