1906 Mining Disaster

General discussion. What do you want to talk about?
Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member
1906 Mining Disaster

Post by Veronica » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 am

I woke up this morning remembering a song that my mom used to sing to me as a child. it was a horrible song and always made me cry, but she insisted it was an important song to our family. Her side of the family had been miners and gemologist and even said we could trace lineage back to Jean-Bapstise Travenier, whoes Huguenot linkage was what brought our family out of France to England back in the day changing our surname to desBois to keep our Protestant lineage hidden.

anyways I was looking into this song which was attributed to a disaster in 1907, in some place called St. Genard Wales, which in looking at old maps I cannot find for the life of me. But I did see that there was a major event in 1906, in France at the Courriers Mines about a mile East of Lens France...… I looked up a chart for that date and location, which didn't say to much to me except for the angular Pluto in Taurus and the Sun angular in aquarius, but then I was thinking that they said the time was 6:30ish am, but I think that my chart isn't showing the right time (daylight savings? or some other component? I have no clue about)

this was a major event in Europe and France at the time, but I didn't want to post it in Mundane because I am really unskilled in understanding how to read those things, but I wanted to ask if it possibly should be included with its correct chart? it really impacted most all of the region in France and from all the pictures I've seen was a terrible terrible event, like coal mining tragedies can be.

this is some info I googled up, including the song, which I do believe was actually written about this event and not some obscure St. genard event which I was not able to gleen any real info about.

the long. and lat from what I can see should be 50.4311_N_ 2.8736_E_

Courrieres Coal Mine Disaster (1906) – France
The Courrieres mine disaster in France, with a total death toll of 1,099, is the second deadliest coal mining disaster in history. The coal mining catastrophe occurred on 10 March 1906 due to a massive explosion sparked by an underground fire in one of the pits of the Courrieres Colliery.
The fire was detected around 270m underground in the Cecil pit in afternoon the day before the explosion. The outlets of the pit were closed to starve the fire of oxygen.
The next morning a huge explosion emanated from the still-smouldering fire at the pit and caused a blast on the surface. Workers inside the mine’s deep tunnels, as well as people on the surface, were killed in the disaster.
The fissures in the pit’s walls were believed to have allowed the flammable gases to cause a coal dust explosion underground. The cause of the initial fire was suspected to be either because of the mishandling of mining explosives or due to the ignition of methane by the flame from a miner’s lamp.

The Courrières mine disaster, Europe’s worst mining accident, caused the death of 1,099 miners (including many children) in Northern France on this day in 1906.
A large explosion was heard shortly after 06:30 on the morning of Saturday 10 March 1906. An elevator cage at Shaft 3 was thrown to the surface, damaging pit-head workings; windows and roofs were blown out on the surface at Shaft 4; an elevator cage raised at Shaft 2 contained only dead or unconscious miners. A coal-dust explosion, the cause of which is not known with certainty, devastated the coal mine operated by the Compagnie des mines de houille de Courrières (founded in 1852) between the villages of Méricourt (404 people killed), Sallaumines (304 killed), Billy-Montigny (114 people killed), and Noyelles-sous-Lens (102 people killed) about 2 km (1 mi) to the east of Lens, in the Pas-de-Calais département (about 220 km, or 140 miles, north of Paris).

This disaster was surpassed only by the Benxihu Colliery accident in China on 26 April, 1942, which killed 1,549 miners.

"Don't Go Down in the Mine, Dad"
by Robert Donelly and Will Geddes

A miner was leaving his home for his work,
When he heard his little child scream;
He went to his bedside, his little white face,
"Oh, Daddy, I've had such a dream;
I dreamt that I saw the pit all afire,
And men struggled hard for their lives;
The scene it then changed, and the top of the mine
Was surrounded by sweethearts and wives."
CHORUS: "Don't go down in the mine, Dad,
Dreams very often come true;
Daddy, you know it would break my heart
If anything happened to you;
Just go and tell my dream to your mates,
And as true as the stars that shine,
Something is going to happen today,
Dear Daddy, don't go down the mine!"
The miner, a man with a heart good and kind,
Stood by the side of his son;
He said, "It's my living, I can't stay away,
For duty, my lad, must be done."
The little one look'd up, and sadly he said,
"Oh, please stay today with me, Dad!"
But as the brave miner went forth, to his work,
He heard this appeal from his lad:
CHORUS
Whilst waiting his turn with the mates to descend,
He could not banish his fears,
He return'd home again to his wife and his child,
Those words seem'd to ring through his ears,
And, ere the day ended, the pit was on fire,
When a score of brave men lost their lives;
He thank'd God above for the dream his child had,
As once more the little one cries:

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: 1906 Mining Disaster

Post by Jim Eshelman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:29 am

The Courrieres mine and Benxihu Colliery disasters - among others - are studied in depth in depth in Chapter 11, "Coalmine Disasters," of my free book Sidereal Mundane Astrology, You can get this from a link in the Publications part of the forum.

Courrieres was Europe’s worst coalmine disaster ever, and the second worst in the world, was a coaldust explosion of uncertain origin. It killed 1,099 people, including many children. it occurred March 10, shortly after 6:30 AM near Courrieres, France. Of the several charts, I'm particularly attentive to the Week chart, which was the Canlunar and put a Venus-Pluto square exactly on angles (tragic death and community-level mourning_ and a very close Moon-Mars square. Then, on the day, transiting Mars crossed a Capsolar angle for that site, among other timing factors.

In the Benxihu Colliery disaster, the worst coalmine accident in history, 1,549 people died. It occurred April 26, 1942, time unknown, in Benxi, Liaoning, China (41N20, 123E46). The Year, Quarter, Month, and Day charts all suitably described the event.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member
Re: 1906 Mining Disaster

Post by Veronica » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:52 am

Wow! Amazing. Chapter 11 hmmm. Ive read parts of that book but dont recall that part. Ill go read it up.

The song is very moony/ neptunian to me....with a bit of /mars/mercury....or maybe thats just me projecting.
Thanks!