Cosmobiology

General discussion. What do you want to talk about?
SteveS
Nabu
Cosmobiology

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Jim, since this is a Sidereal Astrology forum, I have been meaning to ask your permission to open-up a thread on Ebertin's Cosmobiology related to my experiences with Cosmobiology in the late 70's and with a Cosmobiologist I met at a Las Vegas seminar in 1988---Eleonora A. Kimmel and her book “Fundamentals of Cosmobiology.” By no means am I an expert in Cosmobiology, but I do believe in my 38 years of studying astrology, techniques of Sidereal Astrology and Cosmobiology are the two best forecasting systems in the field of Astrology. Is "Many Things" OK for me to continue the subject topic of Cosmobiology?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?
Re: Cosmobiology

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:00 pm

SteveS wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm
Jim, since this is a Sidereal Astrology forum, I have been meaning to ask your permission to open-up a thread on Ebertin's Cosmobiology related to my experiences with Cosmobiology in the late 70's and with a Cosmobiologist I met at a Las Vegas seminar in 1988---Eleonora A. Kimmel and her book “Fundamentals of Cosmobiology.” By no means am I an expert in Cosmobiology, but I do believe in my 38 years of studying astrology, techniques of Sidereal Astrology and Cosmobiology are the two best forecasting systems in the field of Astrology. Is "Many Things" OK for me to continue the subject topic of Cosmobiology?
BTW, I knew Eleanor fairly well. The Sidereal School in Hollywood hosted a weekend seminar for her in the late '70s, and then I encountered her over the years at national astrology conventions. She was quite a devoted and able astrologer and passionate about bringing Ebertin's work to America.

By all means open a thread on some aspect(s) of Cosmobiology that interest you. For now, "Many Things" is probably the best place for it unless a particular subject pertains to one of the other forum topics. Depending on where you plan to go with it, you might even want to put it in the "Experimental, Speculative, Exploring" forum.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Jim wrote:
BTW, I knew Eleanor fairly well.
:) Yes, I knew you probably crossed paths with her. 

Jim wrote:
She was quite a devoted and able astrologer and passionate about bringing Ebertin's work to America.
Indeed, her passion was obvious in her teaching seminars on Cosmobiology, I loved her teaching style. I never fully learned how to manipulate the Wheel Dials used in Cosmobiology, and 1988 was when I bought my first PC with Nova, an astrological DOS program. Noel Tyl footnotes in his book, 'Solar Arcs:'
Ebertin knew his Cosmobiology was formidable. He told me personally, within the proper context, that he felt the Cosmobiological (Solar Arcs and midpoint) system would take over the astrology world. At the end of his life, sadly, he saw the advance of computers and their accomplishment of all the technical work at the speed of light; his beautiful wheels (dials) and graphic ephemerides were obsolete. Ebertin's extraordinary work in his Combination of Stellar Influences was understandably tainted with WW11 pessimism.
Jim wrote:
By all means open a thread on some aspect(s) of Cosmobiology that interest you.
Thanks Jim, this is great. I am eager for us to voice our opinions about Cosmobiology. I would like to start certain techniques with Cosmobiology pertaining to Trump's reelection in 2020. Please feel free to interrupt this thread at any time for your personal learned input pertaining to Cosmobiology. Also, to correct any of my opinions which you think I am mistaken about.

I have my own book on Eleanor's “Fundamentals of Cosmobiology which I won at her Las Vegas seminar in 1988 in a drawing, and last week I was curious to see if any of her books were available on Amazon. I was quite surprised at the high cost of the used books for “Fundamentals of Cosmobiology. Below is the Amazon link for the various prices. Any feedback from other members would be appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0866901191

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes, I still have my copy of Fundamentals in storage somewhere. I saw it in recent months going through storage boxes.

The one point I would make is that Cosmobiology and Sidereal astrology have a great deal in common. Philosophically, they both are driven by empiricism and founded on a fundamentally psychological (rather than thingish and fortune-telling) approach.

In terms of the main components of a chart, Cosmobiology is the only system I know that places the same primary attention on angles and luminaries. (Ebertin also includes the lunar nodes among his personal points - I think it's outlandish to include something that takes 19 years to go around the zodiac in that group - but otherwise the focus is on luminaries and angles.) Both are driven heavily by aspects, with heavy preference for hard aspects (Cosmo includes the 45° and 135°, which Fagan and Bradley explicitly did not) and with tight orbs. Cosmo and Sidereal primarily ignore houses (neither does this entirely, but both do it nearly always). Finally, though Cosmo mostly ignores signs and Siderealists very heavily use signs, we at least agree on the low value of Tropical signs :)

That's a great deal of similarity.

The whole midpoint structure element is unique to Cosmo (and Uranian). However, Matthew and I (among others) felt it was not at all inconsistent with anything in Sidereal astrology, but a further layer. To be consistent with the root philosophy and historic approach of Sidereal astrology, midpoints have to be managed in an efficient way that doesn't leave the door open to finding anything and everything one might want in them - the application of discipline.

Ebertin's tools are of enormous value for Siderealists. I still use the 90° in Solar Fire routinely for all sorts of things.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:09 am

Jim wrote:
Yes, I still have my copy of Fundamentals in storage somewhere. I saw it in recent months going through storage boxes.
Yes, when I purchased “Fundamentals of Cosmobiology” (FOC), I did not have time to seriously study so my copy went into storage. Since I have been looking at Solar Arcs more lately, I went through my storage boxes and pulled FOC out for a closer study.

Jim wrote:
The one point I would make is that Cosmobiology and Sidereal astrology have a great deal in common. Philosophically, they both are driven by empiricism and founded on a fundamentally psychological (rather than thingish and fortune-telling) approach.
Jim, I was thinking the exact same yesterday before I read your above words.

Jim wrote:

In terms of the main components of a chart, Cosmobiology is the only system I know that places the same primary attention on angles and luminaries
Again, my exact thoughts.

Jim wrote:
The whole midpoint structure element is unique to Cosmo (and Uranian). However, Matthew and I (among others) felt it was not at all inconsistent with anything in Sidereal astrology, but a further layer. To be consistent with the root philosophy and historic approach of Sidereal astrology, midpoints have to be managed in an efficient way that doesn't leave the door open to finding anything and everything one might want in them - the application of discipline.

Excellent points Jim. I discovered Cosmobiology before Sidereal Astrology and have obviously blended both their principles in my work.

Jim wrote:
Ebertin's tools are of enormous value for Siderealists. I still use the 90° in Solar Fire routinely for all sorts of things.
Indeed Jim. I have not routinely used SF 90* because I don't understand with the depth you understand, but I am picking up more usage with your post about its use for you.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 am

SteveS wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:09 am
Jim wrote:Ebertin's tools are of enormous value for Siderealists. I still use the 90° in Solar Fire routinely for all sorts of things.
Indeed Jim. I have not routinely used SF 90* because I don't understand with the depth you understand, but I am picking up more usage with your post about its use for you.
But it's useful for so many things without getting into the subtleties. For one thing, I remember you tending to miss squares to angles, but they pop out at a glance on the 90° dial so I always flip to the dial when running a series of mundane charts in particular.

And for the basic approach of "show my hard aspects, with the closest ones more obvious at a glance," the 90° dial shows you that quickly. Here's a copy of your chart on a 90° dial.
Steve 90.jpg
The main aspect features pop off the page: Run your eyes to the angles and luminaries and you instantly get Jupiter-Ascendant and Sun-Uranus. Pull back a little, and the Saturn-Pluto and Mercury-Uranus are instantly visible. Closer aspects sort themselves from wider aspects at a glance, proportionate to what's already in the chart (with lots of close aspects, the orbs tighten themselves without having to do anything special; with few close aspects, the wider ones automatically take greater prominence.

The mechanical dials have an advantage the SF dial doesn't have: The pointer had little marks 5° either side of the arrow and 2° either side of the other end (semi-squares & sesqui-squares) so you didn't have to count degrees to get the same "pentade" orb Fagan encouraged.

That's what you get without even working at it more than a few seconds. You can then spin the pointer planet by planet and see the main midpoint structures quickly. For example, in the illustration I've spun the pointer to your Sun to instantly show not only the Sun-Uranus aspect and wider Sun-Venus, but the Moon/Mercury midpoint.

For hand-drawn charts, my custom horoscope wheel for decades was the simple American Astrology single wheel (classic horoscope) with a 90° dial on the outside, so I had the full chart but also the dial all in one place (and it was sized to fit the standard mechanical dial, that I could just drop on top of it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Jim wrote:
But it's useful for so many things without getting into the subtleties.

Your brilliant/gifted astronomical mathematical mind allows you to see these 'subtleties'.

Jim wrote:
For one thing, I remember you tending to miss squares to angles, but they pop out at a glance on the 90° dial so I always flip to the dial when running a series of mundane charts in particular. 
Yes, I do tend to miss those squares to the angles, but I think I am getting better :) . When you have time, offer us some detailed instruction for seeing what you see with mundane charts and the 90* dial.

Jim,
Ebertin's 90* Dial was simply ingenious for its day/age. Comobiology did not breach the USA until the early 70's. If Fagan/Bradley had access to this ingenious mechanical instrument in their time, it would have put a smile on their face. When Eleanor demonstrated its use to me in 1988, I immediately saw the brilliance of it quickly allowing the eyes to see the 0,90,180—and 45,135. I just never learn in a proficient-experienced manner an individual use because I was getting into computers/astrological programs which was a universe-send for us non-mathematicians astrologers. Actually, the 90 Dial was the first mechanical astrological computer---on paper/cardboard.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:35 pm

SteveS wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm
For one thing, I remember you tending to miss squares to angles, but they pop out at a glance on the 90° dial so I always flip to the dial when running a series of mundane charts in particular. 
Yes, I do tend to miss those squares to the angles, but I think I am getting better :) . When you have time, offer us some detailed instruction for seeing what you see with mundane charts and the 90* dial.
It's really simple. When I have a quotidian up - quotidian (of the Capsolar or Cansolar etc.) on the inner ring and cusps, transits on the outer - I don't need to strain the brain and take the time to run my eyes around the two rings to see what contacts there might be. I just click the "Wheel / Dial" drop-down, pick dial, look at where the inner circle's angles fall, and see all the angle contacts in a second or two.
Ebertin's 90* Dial was simply ingenious for its day/age. Comobiology did not breach the USA until the early 70's. If Fagan/Bradley had access to this ingenious mechanical instrument in their time, it would have put a smile on their face. When Eleanor demonstrated its use to me in 1988, I immediately saw the brilliance of it quickly allowing the eyes to see the 0,90,180—and 45,135.
I still use it that way - in the fashion of your chart above, as an example.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks Jim with your last post, it helps me hone my astrological sight.

In Chapter 4, The 'Cosmic Structure Pattern' from Eleonora A. Kimmel's book 'Fundamentals of Cosmobiology' (FOC), I will be quoting a couple paragraphs showing how Cosmobiology would analyze Trump's re-election bid for Prez in 2020. I will be using Solar Fire (SF), and will post at the end of this Trump post, SF instructions for the Cosmobiology technical data.
The COSMIC STRUCTURE PATTERN is the result of calculation that determines those midpoints which are the foundation of the natal chart. The entire Structure Pattern can be compiled on a single page, thus simplifying the task of the basic natal delineation. From the Structure Pattern one can refer, at a glance, to a particularly outstanding characteristic of an individual and know that the characteristic is an inherent part of the individual. It is very important that the student realize, at this point, that everyone has 78 midpoints, but no two people have the same structure pattern involving the same midpoints. Page 25, FOC.
* The COSMIC STRUCTURE PATTERN of our natal points is easily determine with SF, and labeled Midpoint Tress. The COSMIC STRUCTURE PATTERN of our natal points can be patterned with direct midpoints, indirect midpoints, and the hard aspects of only: 0,90,180, and 45, 135.

After one isolates the COSMIC STRUCTURE PATTERN of the key points in a natal chart with midpoints, the following is KEY for forecasting with the techniques of Cosmobiology:
Natal Midpoints are activated when other stellar bodies “contact” our natal midpoints through transit or progressions (including Solar Arcs). “Contact” is made when a stellar body comes to lie in the same degree as the midpoint. When this happens, an activation of the other bodies involved occurs along the midpoint axis. Page 20, FOC
to be continued with Trump's 'activation' points on election night Nov 3rd 2020.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:34 pm

IMO, when we are endeavoring to pick a winner or loser for any contest, as long as we have an AA rated birth time, I like to start with Solar Arcs. Ebertin recognized Solar Arcs as the # 1 forecaster of fated events in one's life development. I also look at the top of my Solar Arc list, if any, for conjunctions. Through my astrological experience, conjunctions has more % for initialing new beginnings in life, malefic or benefit, depending on the planetary symbolism.

How do I view Solar Arcs? There are several ways to view Solar Arcs with Solar Fire. I am not saying my way is the best way, but I like to calculate a chart for Solar Arcs, and then bi-wheel the Solar Arcs chart with the Natal chart. I have grown to like pictures and a chart is a picture. In the bi-wheel, I place the Natal Chart as the inside wheel, and the Solar Arc chart as the outside wheel.

The first thing I do with the bi-wheel is to allow my eyes for any angular contacts, particularly a conjunction! Writers who have written books on Solar Arcs, all agree when there is angular contact of 0,90,180 with a Solar Arc, there will be a major life development. Another huge factor about Solar Arcs is all the writers on Solar Arcs I have read says to use birthplace location for calculating Solar Arcs!!! This means I do not have to concern myself with WHERE a native will be at the time for a possible major event in his life. Below is a link for a bi-wheel with Trump's Natal as the inside chart, and his directed Solar Arcs for election night 11/3/2020, 11:00 PM.

By looking at this simple bi-wheel we immediately see a particle conjunction with Solar Arc Uranus cnj Trump's Natal Ascendant. This Solar Arc Uranus = ASC immediately tells us Trump will experience a major Uranus event in his life with this most important Uranus angular hit! But, if we happen to see a major Uranus event in his life before election night 2020, this Solar Arc may apply to an event in his life other than election 2020. Ebertin offers 3 simple words for the “Principle” for Uranus action:
Suddenness, revolution, change.
and for Uranus-Ascendant:
Probable Manifestation: The stage of rearranging one's environment, of changing one's residence. Upsetting and exciting experiences, sudden incidents; an accident.

Could this mean there is going to be a major change in Trump's life on election night 2020? I think it does mean exactly this: Trump will not be elected for a second term! There is other very strong Cosmobiology planetary symbolism which also indicates Trump will not be elected 2020, which will be continued later with more...

Trump's bi-wheel, inside wheel Natal; outside wheel Solar Arcs:
https://imgur.com/5Rnp5z2

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Now that we know for the Prez election in 2020 Trump has a major life development event scheduled with Solar Arc Uranus partile cnj his natal ASC, a seasoned Cosmobiologist is going to carefully analyze the COMIC STRUCTURE of Trump's Natal Ascendant. Is Trump's COSMIC STRUCTURE for his Natal Ascendant set-up with a Benefit, Malefic, or Neutral PATTERN with Midpoints??? This COSMIC STRUCTURE PATTERN for Trump's Natal Ascendant is a KEY for the Cosmobiologist in determining if his Natal Ascendant is Benefit, Malefic, or Neutral. I will go into Solar Fire and within seconds get Trump's Cosmic Structure of Midpoints with his Natal Ascendant by specifically looking at Trump's Midpoints Tree. I will only look at the ecliptic midpoints and use Ebertin's small orb of 1.30 degrees, since Ebertin developed his Cosmobiology Schools with a tremendous amount of research involving these small orbs using the ecliptic. Trump's Midpoint Structure for his Ascendant is very Malefic!!! Here is the Midpoint Tree Solar Fire calculates for Trump's Ascendant:

Ascendant =
Sat/Nep 0,06 (Direct *)
Mo/Pl 0,42 (Indirect)
Ve/Nep 0,52 (Direct *)
Ur/Pl 0,58 (Indirect)
Me/Sat 1.25 (Indirect)

Eleonora writes in what is probably the most definitive book (FOC) ever written how to apply Cosmobiology:
In Cosmobiology, a direct midpoint is an important configuration.
Robert Hand teaches the same. And, we as Siderealists realize how important angles of a chart are for pointing us to the most focus points of a chart. So, lest us read what Ebertin has to say about the two direct midpoints above.
For Sat/Nep = Asc he says in part:
An emotionally depressing environment...
What will be Trump's immediate environment on election night for Prez??? Obviously his immediate environment will be winning a major election. ***Donald Bradley, a great Siderealists wrote about Saturn-Neptune aspects when tied into the angles of a Sidereal Return Chart:
A real throne, this. Among its paramount keywords is "removal."

Although we are not analyzing Saturn-Neptune here with a Return chart, still this Saturn/Neptune = his Natal Asc is a very important DIRECT Midpoint tied partile into his Natal Asc.

Ebertin says in COSI for the direct midpoint of Ve/Nep = Asc:
Disappointments in love...
I think we can change “love” here for his relationships (Venus) with the voting public on election night. The Solar Arc of Uranus to Trump's Natal Asc is with a neutral stance symbolizing an important life development change, but his Natal Asc is Cosmically Structured with a 'Combination' of malefic midpoints.

To be continued.

Lance
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 am

Steve, would you care to give me Cosmobiology in a nutshell. Some of us are newbs.

Thanks.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 am

Remember, according to Eleonora's Cosmobiology teachings from her book 'Fundamentals of Cosmobiology,' any Solar Arc, Progression, or Transit falling in the same degree of a Natal Midpoint---Activates the Natal Midpoint in due time. But, a progression/direction (Solar Arc) to a Natal Midpoint can lay dormant for many week/months and we need to use other techniques for the more precise timing frame on election night. I will get into these more precise timing frames later. But, as I have explained with with Eleonora's own words, the Solar Arc of Trump's Natal Uranus to the degree of his Direct Natal Midpoint of Saturn/Neptune will be activated—its just a matter of TIME, and I think that TIME will turn out to be election night. Donald Bradly with his brilliant research tell us Saturn-Neptune symbolism has to do with a 'removal' principle as a 'throne toppler,' and Trump is the acting King on USA's 'throne' as President.

Do we see another potent Saturn-Neptune Solar Arc with Trump's Natal chart bi-wheeled with his directed Solar Arcs on election night in 2020? Indeed we do, his Solar Arc Saturn is particle cnj his Natal Neptune. We have here a Double whammy of Saturn-Neptune (removal/throne-toppler) for possible activation involving Solar Arcs with Trump on election night. But what we really need to see for election night is a 'triggering' effect with the rules of Cosmobiology from Eleonora's book 'Fundamentals of Cosmobiology. Eleonora states from her book:

One must remember that exact timing is rarely possible with secondary progression (or solar arc directions); and that the astrological/cosmobiological significance of progressions/directions should never be considered in and of itself, since the transiting positions of the stellar bodies trigger the activation of a Solar Arc or Secondary Progression, and they in turn trigger the natal chart.

Eleonora has told us Cosmobiology teach transit falling in the same degree of a direct midpoint will trigger the direct midpoint into operations, as well as other progressed/direct solar arcs sitting on natal direct midpoints. Lets take a close look at the transiting action on election night—Nov 3 2020. Below is a link of bi-wheel for Trump's Natal Chart (inside wheel), and the transits on election night, 11:00 PM. Look closely at the outer wheel transits and we see transiting Saturn at 01,22 partile opposing Trump's Natal Venus (inside wheel), but we need to see using Cosmobiology principles something else involving natal midpoints. Now its time to look at the Cosmic Structure of Trump's natal Venus checking first for direct midpoints involving his Natal Venus, here they are:

Sun/Asc 0,41
Sun/Mars 0,53 **
Me/Pl 1,17

Transiting Saturn on election night is partile 180 Trump's direct Sun/Mars natal midpoint. Ebertin writes in COSI about Sun/Mars =Saturn:
Obstructed manifestation of vitality, pessimism, weakness. Difficulties or obstacles in vocation or profession, defeat in a fight or contest, separation (probably from office of Presidency).
Ebertin's astrological science of the main principles for Cosmobiology is screaming at us Trump does not get elected for a second term!!! And, no matter who the Dem Candidate, Trump is defeated on election night-- if still running for Prez!!!

Bi-wheel for Trump's Natal (inside wheel); and transits (outside wheel) on election night:
https://imgur.com/lpmUFpz

to be continued

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 am
Steve, would you care to give me Cosmobiology in a nutshell. Some of us are newbs.
Lance, as you may understand, a comprehensive answer to that question requires more than a post. It would be embodied in over a dozen books I have, reaching in many directions. (Similarly, one can't summarize Sidereal Astrology adequately by saying, "They're the people who use a different zodiac and something about solar and lunar returns, and they all think they're superior to the rest of us." :) )

But, in a nutshell...

Cosmobiology is the school of astrology stemming primarily from the work of Reinhold Ebertin. Because he was in Aalen, it is also called the Aalen school, in contrast to the Hamburg school of Alfred Witte (which we know in America as "Uranian Astrology"). Up to a point, Cosmobiology resembles Uranian - Aquarian Ebertin, as Aquarian Witte's effective heir and active critic - but I won't digress into that contrast too deeply (just a sentence for historic perspective).

Cosmobiology, as a system, has attitudinal and technical distinctions. Its attitudinal distinctions (which it shares with Sidereal) are that its founder was one of the first significant astrologers fiercely driven by empiricism and taking a fundamentally psychological approach to interpretation. (The contrast between Ebertin's The Combination of Stellar Influences and Witte's Rules is substantial not just in their content but in their underlying approach.) If you have Combinations (or KdG, as it's usually known, for its German abbreviations), the first page for each individual factor or combination clearly shows how interpretations are built up from principle through psychological expressions.

What most people think of when they think of Cosmobiology, though, is its technical distinctions. Simplifying somewhat: Cosmobiology methodology almost entirely arises from two premises: (1) Individual chart factors (planets and angles) and the midpoints of any two of these are all valid chart factors. (2) Any 45°-series aspect is valid between any combination of individual of factors and/or midpoints (i.e., planet-to-planet, planet-to-midpoint, midpoint-to-midpoint).

In a big sense, that's it (or the 95% of "it" that can be summarized in a short piece). However, from those two premises come dozens of developments, practical applications, and strategies. Ebertin also invented new tools to make all of this dramatically easier (he invented the graphic ephemeris and modified Witte's 360° and, especially, 90° dials, tools that are now commonplace in astrological software). We wrote extensively (many excellent examples-ridden books) on basic principles of Cosmobiology, its application to natal analysis, its use in prediction, and its use in synastry. His rigorous psychology-driven approach always locked my attention. He expanded into medical astrology and we have several discoveries from him.

As you might expect, my greatest interest in Cosmobiology was always in natal analysis. Steve's presentation, on the other hand, looks like it will be focusing especially on the predictive side of things. In this respect, notice that the same two principles I cited above are at the core of everything: (1) Individual chart factors and their midpoints are all valid chart factors, and (2) any 45°-series aspect is valid between any combination of any of those.

From a method point of view, Cosmobiologists most rely on Solar Arc directions. I don't think this is because Solar Arcs are better than any other main method (though it's clearly a valid method) but because they only needed one sheet of paper to do any part of anyone's life! That is, since all solar arc points maintain the same relationship to each other that the original natal factors did, you can sit and spin the 90° dial forward and backwards to any point in life and instantly read all combinations that Cosmobiology thinks are worth bothering with. (I could show you in less than a minute in person, with a dial in hand; it's harder to do by description. Until you've walked someone through their fundamental character and every major detail of their lives with one chart on one sheet of paper and spinning a dial forward and back, you don't know what a speed rush from astrological analysis is like! <g>)

One of the most important practice principles of Cosmobiology - which Steve is emphasizing - is that every planet and point has a cosmic state, which is the sum of all the factors modifying it astrologically (within the Cosmobiology priorities, of course). This consists of aspects to points and midpoints; specifically all conjunctions, oppositions, and squares within 5°, semi-squares & sesqui-squares within 2°, and all midpoints (direct or indirect) within 1°. (Larger orbs up to 2° remain controversial, with a range of opinions which shifted according to when and from whom they originated.)

Finally, in addition to the attitudinal similarities between Sidereal astrology and Cosmobiology, there are several striking technical similarities in the working priorities of the two systems. Both heavily favor hard aspects (Sidereal founders were more comfortable including trines and sextiles as lesser factors; they are almost entirely neglected in Cosmo: Siderealists always gave highest priority to conjunctions, oppositions, and squares). Both place heaviest focus on angles and luminaries, which Cosmobiology calls the personal points (Cosmobiology also includes Moon's Node as a personal point). Both heavily minimize or ignore houses most of the time. Both minimize or ignore Tropical signs (Cosmo because they observe those signs are of negligible importance most of the time, Sidereal because we've found where the real signs actually are).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Lance
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am

Thank you very much for the primer.

Jupiter Sets at Dawn
Irish
Irish

Post by Jupiter Sets at Dawn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am
(I could show you in less than a minute in person, with a dial in hand; it's harder to do by description. Until you've walked someone through their fundamental character and every major detail of their lives with one chart on one sheet of paper and spinning a dial forward and back, you don't know what a speed rush from astrological analysis is like! <g>)
This is what YouTube is for. <g> And why we have phones that take video. <g>

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Actually, I'd also have to get a new set of disks. Mine are either lost in storage (the 90°, that is) or plain lost. I searched on line today and can't find anybody anywhere that still sells the metal disks or equivalents (like that wonderful board with the transparent plastic dial that Ebertin created).
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Here are paper (you can print them out) 90° dial + background page to use it on, if anyone is interested:
https://studentofastrology.com/resources/uranian/
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:13 am

Lance wrote and asked:

I will try Vance. As Jim explained in his post it is somewhat difficult to explain in a nutshell for it involves many definitive parts. I will offer some main basics: Cosmobiology was a refined system of Astrology using the Midpoints of the the Natal Planets and Angles (MC, ASC), developed by Reinhold Ebertin's exhaustive research into the Natal Chart. Ebertin was not the originator of Midpoints, it first appeared historically centuries in the past but no one knows the name of the originator for Midpoints.

The main astrological purpose for Midpoints are two-fold: 1: To quantify with midpoints the natal planets and angles with a Cosmic Structure Pattern offering a better judgment by the astrologer if a natal planet operates in the natal chart with more of a benefic or malefic content, or if the natal planet/angles is set-up with pure symbolic content of the planet with a neutral structure of natal midpoints; or with a natal planet possibly having no midpoints structure (rarely seen). Midpoint Structure of natal planets also helps the astrologer more to define an aspect between two natal planets. 2: The symbolic manifestations of planetary midpoints by themselves can be symbolically activated with transits, progression, or directions (Solar Arcs). For example: Trump has a direct midpoint of Saturn/Neptune =Asc. Come election night 2020, Trump has his Solar Arc Uranus partile cnj his natal Asc. If I understand certain teachings of Cosmobiology, this means a potent principle of Saturn-Neptune will manifest in his life, in a Uranus manner.

No astrologer can begin a study of Cosmobiology without Ebertin's book, 'Combination of Stellar Influences.' This book allows the astrologer to better understand the astrological tones of a midpoint between two planets, and for a direct midpoint involving 2 planets with a 3rd planet--the natal planet/angle--- a very potent midpoint. Also with an indirect midpoint involving the midpoint aspect of two planets with a natal planet/angle.

Later I will offers Ebertin's own words answering: What is Comobiology?

Lance
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks, Steve.

I think I know enough now to have a decent grasp. I’ll have to buy the book from here on out. COSI is en route at the moment.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Lance wrote:
COSI is en route at the moment.
Great Lance--you will not be disappointed. What astrological program are you using?

Lance
Sidereal Field Agent
Sidereal Field Agent

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm

@Steve

Solar Fire. I think it’s version 9.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Lance wrote:
Solar Fire. I think it’s version 9.
This is good Lance. You are about to embark on a Self-knowledge adventure with your natal chart through the cosmobiological world of your individual natal midpoints, which is highly unique to self/soul. Do you know how to calculate your natal 'Midpoint Trees' with Solar Fire?

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 am

What is Cosmobiology?

Cosmobiology is a scientific discipline concerned with the possible correlation between cosmos and organic life and the effects of cosmic rhythms and stellar motion on man, with all his potentials and dispositions, his character and the possible turns of fate. It also researches these correlations and effects as mirrored by the earth's plant and animal life as a whole. In this endeavor cosmobiology utilizes modern-day methods of scientific research, such as statistics, analysis and computer programming. It is of prime importance, however, in view of the scientific effort expended, not to overlook the macrocosmic and microcosmic interrelations incapable of measurement. The word cosmobiology was coined by the Austrian physician Dr. Feerhow and later was used by the Swiss statistician K.E. Krafft to designate that branch of astrology working on scientific foundations and keyed to the natural sciences. Cosmobiology has, through the work of the author of this book, become increasingly well-known within the last forty years for those aspects marking it off from ancient astrology. Despite the great diagnostic value of cosmobiology in the fields of characterology and psychology, one should not forget that the individual's natal constellation can only be seen and properly interpreted in connection with his life history (medical history, personal home, brothers and sisters, milieu, upbringing, the time and circumstances in which he lives, religion, manners and morals, environment, etc.). Those who are concerned with counseling and want to give a genuine aid to those seeking advice will on the one hand find themselves unable to dispense with the cosmobiological and cosmopsychological diagnostic once they have become acquainted with its methods; on the other hand, they will find that well-grounded psychological and medical knowledge is essential for the correct evaluation and interpretation of the relevancy of all the individual factors in a natal chart.

Self-knowledge Through Cosmobiology

The interpretations of certain planetary constellations presented in this book are intended to provide an insight into the disposition, capabilities, aspects of character and possibilities of fate of the individual. In this respect, they aid in the analysis of the human being in psychological, medical and sociological terms. The reader is shown how he can combine the various elements of the natal chart to form a meaningful picture of himself. The 'Combination of Stellar Influences'-- Reinhold Ebertin, Aalen, February 1972.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Jim wrote:
Actually, I'd also have to get a new set of disks. Mine are either lost in storage (the 90°, that is) or plain lost. I searched on line today and can't find anybody anywhere that still sells the metal disks or equivalents (like that wonderful board with the transparent plastic dial that Ebertin created).
The only time in my life I have seen a live demonstration of the 90 degree dial with its many cosmobiological astrological functions for a Natal Chart-- was in Eleonora's all day teaching class in Las Vegas, July 1988 on Cosmobiology. My wife and I were on vacation at an astrological conference in Vegas. I never learned how to function the 90 degree dial but understood its important usage for the astrologer with Elenora's teaching class on Cosmobiology. I studied Ebertin's book, 'Applied Cosmobiology' with many readings, and briefly studied Eleonora's book 'Fundamental's of Cosmobiology in 1988,' and imo, Eleonora's book on Cosmobiology is far superior to Ebertin's book on 'Applied Cosmobiology'. Since we have started a discussion on Cosmobiology with this thread, I have dug out Eleonora's book from storage for much more serious study, and believe there are certain sight functions with the 90 degree dial that today's astrological software will not view with the 90 degree dial, at least as far as I know. For example: Eleonora/Ebertin would Solar Arc certain midpoints of a Natal Chart to the personal points, lights/angles of a chart when they saw an important standard Solar Arc maturing; whereas, I don't believe Solar Fire will handle this function. In Sept 1988, I began a major renovation of my Theater and began working 16 hour weekends traveling a-lot during the weekdays. For the next few years learning astrology had to be put in the background---so I kinda forgot Eleonora's class teachings with my lost notes.

Jim, let us know if you obtain the right kind of metal disks you are seeking.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 pm

SteveS wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 pm
...[ I ] believe there are certain sight functions with the 90 degree dial that today's astrological software will not view with the 90 degree dial, at least as far as I know. For example: Eleonora/Ebertin would Solar Arc certain midpoints of a Natal Chart to the personal points, lights/angles of a chart when they saw an important standard Solar Arc maturing; whereas, I don't believe Solar Fire will handle this function.
You can do it. Let me show you two or three ways.

METHOD 1. You can add any midpoints you want to a chart. The option is called User-Defined Points. Build the list you want (change it whenever you want), then (either from the Chart Options menu or by right-clicking on the white space around an open chart) pick "Displayed User-Defined Points" and pick the list you created.

For example, I just made a UDP list called "Select Midpoints" that has Mo/Su, Mo/Ve, Su/Ma, Ve/Ju, Ve/Sa, Ve/Ur, Ma/Ju, Ma/Sa, Ma/Ne, Ma/Ur, Ju/Ur, Sa/Ne. A couple of clicks and they're visible on the face of a chart.

When you display as a dial, they appear but not as nicely as you'd like (only the first planet shows, so it's not as useful on a dial as you'd hope); so this isn't the best method, but it's a good one to know about. (If you only put one or two midpoints that you want to work with, there is less ambiguity and it would work fine.)

METHOD 2: You can use the dial. It's not as easy as a physical dial, but you can use it, and the visual representation makes some things more intuitive.

Suppose I want to know when my Mars/Saturn midpoint will, by Solar Arc, reach a personal point (or vice versa). I can calculate the Mars/Saturn midpoint in advance, or I can find it on the dial by counting. (The dial shows degrees in clumps of 5° to make this easier.) On the 90° dial, I see that my Mars is 16° from Saturn so I find the spot 8° from each and put the pointer there. Solar Fire, if you're careful, will even confirm that it's pointed at the midpoint. See the illustration below and retrace how I found the midpoint in a few seconds.
Ma-Sa on JAE 90.jpg
Now, when does this hit personal points? We can count from both ends of the pointer, since they both give valid aspects. Remembering that the degrees are in 5° clumps, you can see that the pointer is 14 1/2 degrees from my Sun, so Solar Arc (and secondary progressed) Sun would reach Ma/Sa at about age 14 1/2. Going the long-way around, counter-clockwise from the pointer, my MC and Asc are 35° from the pointer (from Ma/Sa) and Moon is 39 1/2. Going the other way around, the pointer reaches my Moon in 50 1/2° and MC and Asc at about 55. You can also go from the short end of the pointer and see that Moon is in 5 1/2°, M & A about 10 1/2°.

You'll want to confirm all these for fine-tune purposes, but you already know about getting the basic degree distance of solar arcs and then refining the exact hit.

METHOD 3. Instead of the dial, use a list. (I'll give an A and B method.) First, pull up the MidPoint Listing report. Find (say) the Venus/Jupiter midpoint (on a 90° sort, mine is at 62°45', easy to find at the top). Look at any other point to see how far apart they are, e.g., my Sun is 82°28' so they are not quite 20° (19°43') apart - this is when I was first married. You can do this in seconds for any combination you want to check.

METHOD 3 (B). Or, if you want to center on a specific point in time, you have even better options. Calculate the Solar Arc chart and put it in a two-wheel with the natal. (For a sample, I used 3/16/74, my first wedding date.) Make sure (for this experiment) that the Solar Arc is on the INSIDE ring (use the Swap button if necessary). Click Reports, pick MidPoint Listing, and you will get a very useful list: It gives directed planets and midpoints plus (in red) natal planets. (If natal is on the inside, you get the opposite set.)

With my natal planets on the outside and my Solar Arc chart for 3/16/74 on the inside, look (at the top) for Venus/Jupiter. It's at 82°04'. Find this in the bottom half numerically, and you see that it (and my Ve/Ur) is right next to natal (red) Sun, which is 82°28'. You can also look around for other hits, such as d Su/Ve 31°29' to natal Venus 31°53', d Su/Ur 07' from natal Asc, and more. You can also easily look forward and backward a bit to see what is coming up next, e.g. Sa/Pl to natal Mars about a year later.

With a physical dial you can do a lot more (and do it quickly); but these are ways you can use Solar Fire to simulate a physical disk for the purposes you defined above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:15 pm

When I am working with detailed analysis for Midpoints in the Natal Chart, I use Janus Software. Janus is also the best software I have worked with for seeing more cosmobiology fundamentals at work in one's life, although I have not mastered all the fundamentals of cosmobiology. But, after over 30 off- an- on- years working with Midpoints with my Natal Chart, there is no doubt in my mind natal midpoints allows an astrologer to see with much depth how one's individual psyche experiences life with planetary symbolism. 'We are all a Psychic Process.' But, it is my firm conviction, this depth of individual psyche can only be seen closer/better to its entirety in a microcosmic manner by the astrologer examining his/her own life after many mature years of living. Cosmobiology is a true art, written/drawn in Ebertin's beautiful combination of planetary symbolism, and I am no artist.

Here are the Midpoint functions of Janus Software:
Midpoint Types:

Midpoint Trees.
This option calculates a list of midpoints (half sums) made to each planet in turn.
For example, halfsums and planets aspecting the Sun, then half sums and planets aspecting the Moon, etc. (This function also identifies Direct Midpoints, the post potent type midpoints in a natal chart.

A/B Sorted by Planet.
This option calculates a list of closer half sums sorted by planet sequence.
A half sum is the halfway point between two planets or mathematical points.
Commonly it is considered to be the shortest arc.
Mathematically, it is the longitude of 1st planet A added to the longitude of the 2nd planet B, and the result divided by two.
The Orb drop-down list box is hidden in this option as it is not applicable.

A/B Sorted by Degree.
This option calculates a list of closer half sums sorted by degree position.
The Orb drop-down list box is hidden in this option as it is not applicable.

A/B Sorted by 45 degree CFM.
This option calculates a list of harmonic 8 (45 degree multiples) half sums sorted into Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable.
This is very useful list, as described in the book 'Working with Astrology'.
The Modulus and Orb drop-down list boxes are hidden in this option as they are not applicable.

X=A/B Sorted by X.
This option calculates a list of occupied midpoints.
The criteria for testing an occupied midpoint is if planet X makes an aspect (as defined by the selected modulus) to the nearer half sum to planet A and planet B, and the aspect is within orb (as defined by the selected aspect file) then the conditions for the midpoint being included in the list have been met. In other words, the nearer half sum A/B is occupied by planet X. The list of midpoints is sorted by planet X sequence.

X=A/B Sorted by A/B.
The midpoints are sorted by planetary sequence A/B.

X=A/B Sorted by Orb.
The midpoints are sorted by smallest Orb to largest Orb.

A/B=C/D Sorted by A/B.
Half sum A/B makes an aspect to half sum C/D.

A/B=C/D Sorted by Orb.
Half sum A/B makes an aspect to half sum C/D.

Coordinate Systems.

Ecliptic System
Is linked to the Earth's orbit around the Sun, which forms a great circle called the ecliptic.
This circle is divided into 360 degrees of longitude (30 degree per sign).
Celestial Longitude is measured East from the Vernal Point.

Equatorial System
Is linked to the Earth's rotation on its axis, which forms a great circle called the celestial equator.
This circle is divided into 360 degrees of Right Ascension (or 24 hours of sidereal time).
Right Ascension is measured East from the Vernal Point.

Horizon System
Is based on the great circle called the rational horizon, parallel to the visible horizon, and its plane passes through the centre of the Earth, dividing the celestial sphere into two hemispheres, upper and lower.
This circle is divided into 360 degrees of Azimuth.
Azimuth is normally measured clockwise from the North Point.

Prime Vertical System.
Is based on the great circle called the Prime Vertical, which lies at right angles to the Meridian, passes through the East and West points on the horizon, and the Zenith and Nadir of the place.
This circle is divided into 360 degrees of Longitude, measured East from the Ascendant or the Midheaven.

Rationalized Semi-Arc System.
This system assigns 0 to 90 degrees to the diurnal semi-arc Ascendant to MC, 90 - 180 degrees to the diurnal semi-arc MC to Descendant, 180 - 270 to the nocturnal semi-arc Descendant to IC, and 270 - 360 degrees to the nocturnal semi-arc IC to Ascendant.

Galactic Longitude System.
Galactic longitude is measured along the plane of the galaxy from the direction of the centre of the galaxy as seen from Earth.

Invariable Plane System.
This plane is defined by the masses and orbits of all the planets in the solar system.

References:
'Encyclopedia of Astrology' by Nicholas de Vore.
'Larousse Encyclopedia of Astrology' by Brau, Weaver and Edmands.
'Astronomy for Astrologers' by John Filbey and Peter Filbey.
'Working with Astrology' by Michael Harding and Charles Harvey.
'The Combination of Stellar Influences' by Reinhold Ebertin.
'Midpoints: Unleashing the Power of the Planets' by Michael Munkasey.
'Rules for Planetary-Pictures' by Witte-Verlag.
*I only have working experience with the Ecliptical & Prime Vertical systems and have no idea why the rest of the systems are listed for options. Even with the wonderful age of computers with astrological software, I still believe the astrologer who learned how to use Ebertins mechanical Dials proficiently --sees and understands much better the microcosmic view of Cosmobiology than piece milling Cosmobiology with an astrological software program. I never learned how to proficiently use all of Ebertins various Dial's systems, although I understand the simple math that is taking place.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Janus gives galactic and invariable plane positions? I didn't know anything on the market did that. It's impressive!
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:48 pm

Jim, what in this universe is an 'invariable plane position?' Can it be explained where we non-mathematicians can understand?

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm

SteveS wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:48 pm
Jim, what in this universe is an 'invariable plane position?' Can it be explained where we non-mathematicians can understand?
It's basically the average of all of the orbital planes in our solar system. It approximates the ecliptic, but is a bit off from it (the ecliptic is inclined to the IP about a degree and a half).

If the ecliptic isn't the actual base for astrological phenomena in our solar system, the only reasonable competitor is the invariable plane. (However, I still think it's the ecliptic as long as one is in the Earth-Moon orbital system. The behavior of the the ingresses seems to require this.)

The invariable plane passes through the gravitational center of Sun and the (let's say) average of the distribution of mass in the solar system. This means that the four largest planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune) have the most say in determining it, because they contribute the most mass.

If the solar system as a whole is a "spinning plate," with everything in the solar system not passing very much above or below the edge of the plate, the invariable plane is the plate.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:16 am

Now I know, thanks Jim.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 am

Everyone has 78 midpoints including the Moon's Node in their natal, but it is very important to realize no two people have the same structure pattern involving the same midpoints. It is these natal midpoints with their structure patterns, particularly the direct midpoints, which influences certain operative conditions of our natal planets and angles.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Jim has taught me a way to see transiting midpoints to natal factors in a glimpse with Solar Fire. Knowing what I know about midpoints, I want to be able to see/isolate the transiting direct midpoints to natal factors for a scheduled known event, particularly to the possible personal points of a natal---Sun, Moon, Asc, MC. On Election Night 11/08/2020, 11:59 PM EST DC. Trump has a direct transiting midpoint of Sun/Saturn =Natal Moon (he was born with the 10:54 AM Chart under a full moon. Ebertin says about Sun/Saturn = Moon:
Emotional depressions...emotional inhibitions...fear, feelings of inferiority...
Eleonora Kimmel, a professional astrologer in the application of the "fundamentals of cosmobiology" says this:
The application of the stellar influences here is transposed; that is, instead of transiting planets touching off the natal midpoints, the transiting midpoints are activating the natal planets. The results of interpretation of these transits are astounding.
Understand, Eleonora is only using these transiting midpoints with big events in one's life time, not on an everyday normal daily basis. Later, since I now know with Jim's Solar Fire tips how to view transiting midpoints to a natal for large life events, I will calculate all the transiting midpoints to Trump's 10:54 AM chart to see if they offer the same interpretive correlation as the direct midpoint of Sun/Saturn to his natal full Moon. Understand, I am in an experimenting stage with these transiting midpoints and will eventually look at other large life events with native's lives.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Steve, have you seen the thread about Trump's birth time I posted yesterday? There is a roughly 50-50 chance (I'd estimate) that the time on his birth certificate (which we only have because Trump himself circulated it) is a fraud. The other possibility is a time of 9:51 AM that came from his mother and allegedly came separately from Melania through her astrologer.

It's too early for me to have an opinion on which is correct. I'm updating my monthly forecasts to have separate Trump forecasts for each time, to test them. But Trump's alleged AA birth information is now DD.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Jim, I eagerly await your report/sight on the time of 9:51. All I know for now is using the system of Cosmobiology--there is a load of symbolism for his defeat in 2020 with the 10:54 AM. I know this: If he wins 2020 Prez, the probability would be high for the 10:54 AM being false using the system of Cosmobiology. But, I do remember well I bet 10% (a rare bet for me) of my bank account on him winning both the Rep & Prez in 2016 simply because his 2016 SSR Moon was partile cnj his Natal Jupiter, and I put a-lot of faith in Bradley's words/research where he says:
A candidate for public office can hardly expect election if Moon-Jupiter configurations are lacking in his return charts.
Kinda difficult for me to believe his 10:54 AM is false, but I will certainly look in detail at your 9:51 posts keeping an open mind. I also know this: I will not be betting 10% of bank account again on Trump losing the 2020 election because of the possibility of 9:51 being correct. :)

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:36 pm

It will probably be months before I have a firm opinion. My best idea at the moment is to run predictions off the chart side by side and see which one is better.

My first impression is that it's hard to believe the time we've used is false - that rising Mars is so characteristic. Yet, the new time also has a foreground Mars and a very close Pluto square MC. The new time is missing the one thing on which I most intently predicted his defeat (Neptune transiting a partile conjunction of progressed Moon and natal Saturn). Furthermore, the Moon-Jupiter conjunction in his 2016 SSR was "good enough" with the birth time we had, but it occurs exactly on IC with the new time! Those two things catch my attention.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm

I understand Jim, excellent observations.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am

For important life events, the effects of individual natal midpoints will be seen most clearly when they are set-- off by dynamic factors such as transits, solar arc directions, or progressions. Robert Hand.

I was very impressed in 1988 when I attended an all day seminar by Eleonora Kimmel demonstrating the use of Ebertin's Dials. Ebertin's Dials allowed the astrologer to see the importance of natal midpoints pertaining to solar arcs and transits associated with important events in one's life. Eleonora in her class teachings exclusively used quoted words for Ebertin's book, 'Combination of Stellar Influences' for describing the planetary symbolism for certain life events for natives. But, I never found enough time to learn or gained the experience using the methodology for Ebertin's dials.

Now that Jim has recently instructed me how to use Solar Fire to easily/quickly isolate transiting factors involving natal midpoints, I want to start testing/analyzing transiting factors to natal midpoints pertaining to important known events in the past, or for known scheduled events in the future for a native's life. Many Cosmobiologists consider a transiting planet to be the main triggers for manifesting important events in a lifetime associated with natal midpoints and important solar arcs.

For my very first test with Robert Hand's above quoted words, I tested Trump's transits to his natal midpoints on election night Nov 8 2016 for him winning Prez. And then I tested/analyzed Trump's transits to his natal midpoints on election night Nov 3 2020. The contrast between benefic hits for election 2016 and malefic hits for 2020 is striking. I think this will be a good test for the systems of Cosmobiology.

Criteria: I tested only partile (1 degree or less) 0,90,180 transits to Trump's Natal Midpoints. For both of these elections, I will use a 11:59 PM EST time on the dates of the election. Like Eleonora's class teachings, I will quote from Ebertin's book, 'Combination of Stellar Influences' for Trump's natal midpoints triggered by a partile 0,90,180 transits on election night.

*Note: For all symbolic factors involving Venus for these two election test examples, I will use my own parentheses for the symbolism of Venus representing Trump's relationship (Venus) with the voting populace. Just using Venus symbolically to represent the voters we will see a striking contrast between Prez election 2016 and 2020.

to be continued...

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 am

Robert Hand: Why Use Midpoints?
Midpoints have a plausible theoretical basis in harmonics, but in a much more complex way than aspects. The explanation is beyond the scope of this book, (Horoscope Symbols); suffice it to say that midpoints work. I use midpoints because they often give information that would not otherwise be available in the chart. Without them, I have seen important characteristics of a person and events in a life completely overlooked.

As I stated beginning this thread I am no expert in Cosmobiology, and certainly don't understand why midpoints work, but I have also seen enough evidence in my life that midpoints do offer valid symbolism. I mainly started this thread to go back and look at all my collected material on Cosmobiology in order to further my learning curve with Cosmobiology.

I have also read enough of Ebertin's work stating that the midpoint of the ASC/MC is a very important natal chart point. Ebertin writes as a footnote to the ASC/MC midpoint in his book, 'Combinations of Stellar Influences':
The midpoint AS/MC should always be examined as this frequently has a bearing on the whole personality and because directions over this point may result in a change of life and circumstances.
Robert Hand says about the Ascendant/Midheaven midpoint:
A very important point in the horoscope. Points on this axis may exert a general influence on the chart almost as if they were conjunct the Ascendant, Descendant, Midheaven or Imum Coeli except that the energy is not as strong.

I know this: I have a direct midpoint of AS/MC=Neptune (1,08), and when my solar arc MC directed to my natal AS/MC midpoint my life completely changed in a very dramatic way with me becoming an Independent Theater Owner, my life's dream.

Now beginning my analysis of partile 0,90,180 transits to Trump's Natal Midpoints on election night Nov 8th 2016, 11:59 PM EST. With this analysis, I will write the partile 0,90,180 transiting planet to Trump's Natal Midpoint as A/B=C; with A/B Trump's Natal Midpoint and C as the transiting Planet. I will not identify which of these are specifically 0,90,180 transiting planets, they will be treated equally in potency.

Trump's partile transits to his Natal Midpoints on Election Night 2016:

1: ASC/MC=Jupiter
Ebertin from his book COSI says about this combo:
The Optimist. Success
To be continued...

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:51 am

FWIW, I completely disagree on the A/M midpoint. I dismiss it (meaning direct contact to it) completely. Valuing it the way stated above produces results at odds with things we already know about the angularity curve. - Steve, your example of solar arc to your Neptune would count from the perspective of the planet regardless of whether it was on a midpoint, yes?

I emphasized rejecting direct midpoints to it because the indirect midpoints to this represent an "averaging" of proximity to angles. For example, a few minutes ago I posted on a mundane astrology Facebook page about the Hiroshima anniversary today. In the Cansolar for that event (for Tokyo), Mars squares Asc with the same orb that Mercury squares MC. That shared contact is most simply represented by Me/Ma = As/MC 0°00', but I don't think it's the midpoint that's important - it's just a way to show how the two planets are equally distant from the angles, identifying a spot on Earth that most closely concentrates their shared influence.

Steve, do you consider yourself a fundamentally Neptunian person (by your character)? That would be the conclusion to draw from your Ne = A/M if we gave the A/M midpoint the importance suggested in the quotes above.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 am

BTW, I've started to doubt that any ecliptical midpoint contacts involving angles are valid. I haven't settled on a firm conclusion, but I've seen enough to make me uneasy interpreting any of them. I think it's distinctly possible that only mundane midpoint contacts involving angles are valid. This, if it happens to be true, displaces a lot of Cosmobiology theory and traditional examples.

In your case, Steve, the ecliptical midpoint contacts involving angles include:

As = Pl/MC
Ju = Sa/MC
MC = Mo/As
Mo = Ur/As
Ma = Su/As

If we allow these only mundanely, the list changes to:

M = A = Ve/Ma
Mo - Ve/MC
Su = Ma/As

My chart is a worse example because the planet pairs involved are all (or nearly all) in aspect, so the effects would show in my character anyway. But, for comparison, here is the list of midpoint contacts involving angles in my chart if taken ecliptically:

Ne = Pl/MC = Ve/As
Sa = Mo/MC
Ve = Pl = Ne/MC
MC = Ne/Pl = Ve/Ur = Ve/Ju
As = Ve/Ur = Ve/Ju = Ne/Pl

Taken mundanely, they are simpler:

Pl = Ne/MC = Ma/As
Ve = Ma/As = Ne/MC

I'm not sure this is a good basis for comparison, considering the aspects already in my chart.
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am

Jim wrote:

I completely disagree on the A/M midpoint. I dismiss it (meaning direct contact to it) completely.

I understand Jim. We have discussed this issue in the past, and I clearly understand it is at odds with Sidereal Astrology as far as this point falling in a very weak place on the horoscope wheel. But, according to Ebertin and Hand and their very experienced research with Cosmobiology, they recognized the AS/MC point as a sensitive point in the horoscope. I am only pointing out their observations since it deals with the subject matter of this thread Cosmobiology, and this AS/MC was beneficially shown on Trump's 2016 election night which I am using for a Cosmobiology example.

Jim asked:
Steve, your example of solar arc to your Neptune would count from the perspective of the planet regardless of whether it was on a midpoint, yes?
Maybe, but I don't see it in this context. I see it in the context of my Natal Neptune is placed on sensitive/strength point of my scope. If you had lived and understood my life in detail pertaining to the Neptunium environment (Theaters) I was born into, completely absorbing my soul in this Neptunian Theater/Films/Movies manner, I think you could maybe understand more pertaining to the abnormal strength of my Natal Neptune with the Theater environment must be contributed to either its square to my Vx or to the AS/MC midpoint, could be both. In my mind, if we allow midpoints between two planets to offer valid symbolic meanings as a strength point in a horoscope, which Cosmobiology has proven--- why not allow the same for the AS/MC midpoint?? And then on Oct 31 1987 my Solar Arc MC hit my natal Neptune explaining the timing of me becoming an Independent Theater Owner. But in my mind relative to knowing the details of my life, it was my natal Neptune being on the AS/MC midpoint which explains the hard core Theater environment I was born and raised into.

Jim asked:
Steve, do you consider yourself a fundamentally Neptunian person (by your character)? That would be the conclusion to draw from your Ne = A/M if we gave the A/M midpoint the importance suggested in the quotes above.
Not necessarily! But I do consider my direct AS/MC=Neptune possibly more sensitive/potent in my horoscope-- explaining why my soul was completely absorbed into a Theater/Movie environment—by being born next to a Drive-Inn Theater/Movie environment. This midpoint also explains to me why it was always my one and only dream to one day own my my own Theater as an Independent Theater Owner. This one Neptunian dream obsessed my mind as a pure passion/addiction/dependence related to my business career. My first grade teacher had to have a meeting with my parents because she noticed I would always be looking out the window fixated on a point in space, not the teaching blackboard. My teacher would ask me what I was thinking about, and I would always tell her I was thinking about an upcoming movie poster which was posted at the Theater next to the house I was raised in as a baby/kid. From the get-go as a baby, I was absorbed/addicted by everything pertaining to the Theater/Movies World. Isn't this par-excellent Neptune Symbolism? The illusions of Movies captivated my soul.

Jim Eshelman
Are You Sirius?

Post by Jim Eshelman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:10 pm

SteveS wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am
Steve, your example of solar arc to your Neptune would count from the perspective of the planet regardless of whether it was on a midpoint, yes?
Maybe, but I don't see it in this context. I see it in the context of my Natal Neptune is placed on sensitive/strength point of my scope.
Remember you also have Neptune 0°13' from the Northpoint. (Ah, I now see you mentioned that later on.) Aside from also being the strongest aspect to your Moon.
In my mind, if we allow midpoints between two planets to offer valid symbolic meanings as a strength point in a horoscope, which Cosmobiology has proven--- why not allow the same for the AS/MC midpoint??
The "why" would have to be theoretical: I would say it's because Asc and MC aren't planets, they are "places" more than "things."

But, by observation, every meaningful study of angularity in natal charts, returns, or ingresses shows the area where this midpoint falls to be quite weak. Some studies show the area exactly mid-quadrant as weakest, some show that the bottom-out is at the cadent cusp but mid-quadrant is still quite weak. None of them suddenly have a secondary spike mid-quadrant. I place this observed behavior ahead of any theory on the matter,
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Steve,
Are you saying that by that date in 1989 you achieved your soul purpose for this life?

Wouldnt the urge/need that this Neptunian midpoint has continue through out you whole incarnation?

It reads to me that you feel that you mastered/achieved/recognized the potentialy of this cosmic expression.

Do you feel like this midpoint no longer has a bearing or any manifestion in your life?

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Jim wrote:
Remember you also have Neptune 0°13' from the Northpoint. (Ah, I now see you mentioned that later on.) Aside from also being the strongest aspect to your Moon.
So true Jim, and could very well be the main astrological reason my Natal Neptune resonates so strongly for me with my life in the Theater business.

Jim wrote:

I place this observed behavior ahead of any theory on the matter,
I certainly understand where you are coming from Jim. I too would like to see much more evidence the AS/MC actually exists as a sensitive mathematical chart point. I am only assuming Ebertin proved to his astrological mind the AS/MC was an important chart point. Thanks for your input Jim.

Veronica asked:
Are you saying that by that date in 1989 you achieved your soul purpose for this life?
I would say one of my main soul purposes was being born into a Neptunian environment of the Movie business, which actually became my main play toy throughout most of my life.
Wouldnt the urge/need that this Neptunian midpoint has continue through out you whole incarnation?
The Neptunian environment of the Movie business still continues throughout my soul in a semi-retired manner. This Neptunian impulse will resonate throughout my being until the day I leave this life.

Veronica wrote:
It reads to me that you feel that you mastered/achieved/recognized the potentialy of this cosmic expression.
Indeed I have Veronica! It was like I was born with an innate natural knowledge of the Movie business, and other stockholders for the company I stated working for when I was 6 years old have told me many times I understand the Neptunian World of the Movie business that can't be taught.

Veronica asked:
Do you feel like this midpoint no longer has a bearing or any manifestion in your life?
Even though I am retired from the business, it constantly manifests in my mind every day with thoughts of my absorbed life in this Neptunian world of Movies. Even through the business has changed a-lot—it still boils down to one main ingredient. The Movie business stimulates the imagination faculty of the movie going public minds, and imagination is healthy for our lives, which I am sure you realize with your life. Thanks for your input Veronica.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:25 am

...continuing with Trump's partile 0,90,180 transits to his natal midpoints.

2: Pluto/Node = t. Pluto

What Ebertin says about this combo is quite interesting. This is a long term partile transit with the slow movement of Pluto and would have applied to Trump's entire Campaign. Ebertin says:
The common destiny of a large mass of people. The urge to seek contacts or associations with many people. The wish to become a public figure or to exercise an influence upon other people. Unions or associations brought about by the particular circumstances of one's destiny. Crowds or large groups of people, mass meetings. The beginning of new associations which may may be important with regards to one's future.

Obviously, we see here Trump's voting public sweeping him into the office of President.

3: Venus/MC = t. Venus

Here is the other benefic Venus wired into an angle (MC) on Trump's Natal for winning the Prez on election night. This election sent deep shock waves throughout the Country with a deep divide among the Nation. I find it interesting Ebertin's words for the negative manifestation for this midpoint:
The loss of other people's sympathy through the demonstration of self-admiration and vanity.
Many of the elite party officials within Trump's own political party despised Trump for winning this Election with Trump's 'demonstration' of his egotistical "self-admiration and vanity."

4: Uranus/Pluto = t. Pluto

Another long term transit. Ebertin says:
Revolution, the collapse of the old order of things, the construction of the new.
We can see Trump harnessing the planetary energies of this planetary combo for his election, and as a non-politician (outsider) sending a 'revolutionary' shock wave throughout the Country in both political parties. Elite members of Trump's own political party criticized Trump as being too 'revolutionary' causing a deep divide in the Country.

5: Jupiter/Uranus = t. Sun.

Soon after the it became apparent Trump had won this election t. Sun partiled this Midpoint. Ebertin labeled in a footnote Jupiter/Uranus as:

The “Thank You Lord” aspect, a very fortunate aspect occurring after much 'tension' with a grueling campaign.

6: Jupiter/Neptune = t. Jupiter

Again, we see the greater benefic Jupiter involved with a partile aspect with a natal midpoint. Some of Ebertin's benefic words for Jupiter/Neptune 'psychological correspondence' which fits the context of Trump winning this election are:
An abundance or richness of feeling or emotional expression...
Very appropriate for winning a major election.

7: Jupiter/Pluto = t. Saturn

One of the main words Ebertin says about this midpoint involved with the greater malefic Saturn is:
Difficulties..

After winning this election, Trump indeed felt the 'difficulties' with certain immediate reactions from insiders within both political parties.

8: Neptune/Pluto = t. Neptune

None of Ebertin's words fits the context for Trump winning this election with this planetary combo and long term transit except maybe:
The pursuit of aspirations...
This concludes the partile 0,90,180 transits to Trump's natal midpoints on election night 2016, which overall, I think shows individual benefic symbolism for him winning the 2016 election using the methodology of Cosmobiology. Next, I will use Ebertin's words from 'Combination of Stellar Influences' describing Trump's re-election bid on election night Nov 3 2020. It is dramatic malefic contrast from the benefic hits he had on election night 2016. In fact, I will go on record now and say if Trump wins election 2020, this methodology of partile transits to natal midpoints with the astrological branch Cosmobiology will be proven to me as an unreliable methodology.

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 am

Interesting, thanks for elaborating.
I am glad that you found personal success and happiness through this manifestation.
In COSI the notes given for the Principle of this midpoint refer to the realtionship between the ego (higher self) and the personality (lower self) and truthfully reading the delinations for having Neptune there do not sound at all like your personal expierence....

I do have a very strong Neptune myself and love movies but truthfully I dont like much of what is being programmed and run in the theatre, I think most movies glorify unhealthy behaviors and perpetuate negative subconscious programs. I also dont like the fact that going to the movies costs an arm and a leg, but maybe thats a good thing so that people dont get exposed to and desensitized to violence and what Ill call childish selfish indulgences. (Ie...loose sex...drugs...criminal acts)

I just finished reading a marvelous book called _The Invention of Hugo Cabret_ which is a childs book that fantasties about the miraculous life of Georges Melies whom I am sure you are familiar with. His early visionary work in films took the motion picture world out of filming steam engines and brought fantasty to the world in almost a surreal magical way that IMO was only trumped by the discovery of Fractals and computer programing that gave movies the ability to make Lord of the Rings possible.

SteveS
Nabu

Post by SteveS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 am

Veronica wrote:
I am glad that you found personal success and happiness through this manifestation.
In COSI the notes given for the Principle of this midpoint refer to the realtionship between the ego (higher self) and the personality (lower self) and truthfully reading the delinations for having Neptune there do not sound at all like your personal expierence....
I agree, except where Ebertin offers for a direct midpoint of AS/MC =NEP:

...the experiencing of disappointments...

The greatest disappointment in my life occurred with the theater company I worked for since I was six years old declared bankruptcy. But, I was able to turn this 'disappointment' to the most important advantage in my entire life-- when I was able to purchase a closed down theater the company owned through the bankruptcy court. The bankrupt judge offered this property to all stockholders but I was the only one to summit a bid on the closed down theater, acquiring this Theater and bring it back to full life by being able to contract the right kind of movies for the community.

But, I do agree with Ebertin's “Probable Manifestation” for the AS/MC midpoint where he writes:
Connections between the Asc and the MC when brought out by progressions (solar arcs) or transits indicate important periods of life which can be characterized and coloured only through the addition and incorporation of other factors.
Well, the most important 'factors' with my AS/MC midpoint are two: 1: My AS/MC midpoint involves a direct midpoint with my natal Neptune, and I know for a fact my natal Neptune has completely 'coloured', relative to my life, with the world of Theaters/Movies. Cosmobiologists consider a 'direct' midpoint as the most potent of all the natal midpoints. And 2: when my MC solar arc to my AS/MC =Neptune, it timed exactly in my life when I became an independent Theater owner. So, looking at my life being 71 years old, there is no doubt in my mind the direct AS/MC =Neptune in my natal chart is by far the most important midpoint structure in my entire natal chart/life. It has dominated my life!

Veronica wrote:
I do have a very strong Neptune myself and love movies but truthfully I dont like much of what is being programmed and run in the theatre...
Me too, the programming of movies today have lost the good spirit of a lot of the movies programmed in my days of being directly in the movie business.

Veronica wrote:
I just finished reading a marvelous book called _The Invention of Hugo Cabret_ which is a childs book that fantasties about the miraculous life of Georges Melies whom I am sure you are familiar with. His early visionary work in films took the motion picture world out of filming steam engines and brought fantasty to the world in almost a surreal magical way that IMO was only trumped by the discovery of Fractals and computer programing that gave movies the ability to make Lord of the Rings possible.
Indeed, I am familiar with Melies work and the movie “Hugo” truly emphasizes the positive influences of the Neptunium world of fantasty with what/how an active imaginative mind can help heal the negatives of life. Have you seen the movie Hugo?? I have this movie in my collection of favorites, and have watched it several times.

Movie trailer for Hugo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjSNBP4P9RU

Links to Georges Melies life:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAc&uact=5

Veronica
Synetic Member
Synetic Member

Post by Veronica » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:09 am

I was very lucky to get a chance to watch this movie a few years ago.

The book is better.

Movies have the draw back of limiting the creative imaginiation because the director has filled in all the blanks for you by the staging. Books dont fill in all the blanks and allow your mind to ponder such silly things like...what color is the wallpaper...are they red or green apples....what does the characters voice sound like.

The honors english teacher at my school uses this book to teach. Its the thickest book we have...not even Harry Potters last book is bigger. The most wonderful thing about it though is that the text is actually a bare minimum. The creator told most of the story through black and white sketches, bringing to life key symbolic poibts in the story and allowing the reader to let thier imagination play.

Its a very Neptunian concept in of itself