Eris

Q&A and discussion on the Planets.
Danica
Irish
Irish

Eris

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Feb 24, 2013
Freya wrote:Jim, I understand from you research that Eris is connected to chaos. Have you found any positive manifestation of Eris? Do you know its exaltation, detriment and fall? I'd be grateful if you could explain a little more about this celestial body and its effects. Thank you
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Re: Eris

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Freya wrote:Jim, I understand from you research that Eris is connected to chaos. Have you found any positive manifestation of Eris? Do you know its exaltation, detriment and fall? I'd be grateful if you could explain a little more about this celestial body and its effects. Thank you
Well, first of all, chaos can be quite positive! :D

There is also an unexpected sexual theme running with Eris. It may be "impersonal," as one would expect from a distant planet, but it is so persistent (especially in natal aspects) that I can't fail to mention it. Examples below.

On dignities/debilities - I'm not even going to go there. We don't know enough abut it yet, and making up that kind of information would just be a mind-game. It's probably not all that relevant in practice anyway.

Also - before I answer further - understand that "findings" is WAY too strong a term. I have no FINDINGS on Eris. I have emerging conjecture, based on what I've been able to see thus far. I write what follows ONLY on the condition that nobody believes it <vbg>. Also, there may not really be any astrological significance of Eris at all - any observations may actually be over-generalizations, or due to other factors, so I can't even say that we know that there IS an astrological significance.

That being said... and since you haven't indicated whether you mean natal or predictive etc. - here are some notes - some conjectures as of today, February 24, 2013, subject to change at a moment's notice.

ANGULARITY. We may have to totally skip any testing of Eris that relies on its proximity to angles; meaning, ignore whether it's foreground in a natal chart, its presence in solar and lunar returns, etc. This is because Eris is often so far off the ecliptic that it's mundane risings/settings/culminating etc. are often very far from its ecliptical contacts. About the only angularity that could be used with confidence are the squares to the Ascendant, which are always measuredf in longitude - that would make an interesting test case.

TRANSITS. Not one of the dozen or so most important dates in my life had any planet within a degree of conjunct, opposite, or square my natal Eris. In watching day-to-day transits to natal and SSR Eris, I've definitely noticed the chaos effect, e.g.:
t. ME -90- s. ERI, awoke to find chaos on one of my forums. Discussion was wild, progressive, spinning into what felt like rockslide risks, and I rather fiercely jumped in to wrangle with it. Continued most of the day.
t. JU -45- s. ERI An extensive clearing and reordering of things a few hours before this was exact: something along the lines of "resolving chaos."
t. MA -45- r. ERI Coworker (who normally doesn't bother me) was invasive, disruptive, making it hard to concentrate on what I was doing. Very aggravating for a while.

SYNASTRY. Of the 10 most important women in my life, my natal Eris makes a partile conjunction, opposition, or square with only two of them: the Venus of one of the least important, and the Mars of one of the most important. It is within two degrees of opposition to the Moon of one of the four most important. The fact that the planets engaged in these sexual relationships were all sex-related planets is interesting, and seems to suggest that, if it means anything at all, Eris is not incompatible with that sexual relationships.

My friends mostly would say that the long-term relationship with the woman whose Moon opposes my Eris was one of the poorer choices of my life. However, if they're right, there were more conventional and simple astrological explanations for that.

NATAL ASPECTS.
Moon-Eris. Many of them deal with atypical or obscure languages that most people wouldn't understand - in the widest sense of the word "language" - and genius-level penetration of "what's beyomnd it." Consider Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, John Maynard Keynes, John Dee, Helen Keller, Albert Einstein, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Wolfgang Mozart, and Joseph Smith in this regard.

Sun-Eris. No clear pattern. For example, among politicians there are murderous tyrants and legendary peace figures, plus two Supreme Court justices with highly divergent points of view.

Mercury-Eris. This natal aspect has produced quite a lot of interesting observations (which, remember, may or may not mean anything).

Women I have known with this aspect are pretty close to the definition of "sexually loose." It's not just that they're sexually active. It's that they are truly promiscuous in the, "<shrug> I think this is the fast food I'll get, since I'm driving past" sort of way. (I don't know of any other planet pair that produces anything like this narrow meaning of promiscuous or loose in anything like this fast-food sense.) At the very least, most of the men and women I know best who have this are "sexually easy," and they "get around" quite a lot.

They also have a sassy, think-for-themselves way through life. (Though sometimes they do shock tactics, I think it's just to establish that they are acting on their own and making their own decisions - in case anyone has any doubts about that.)

Possibly, there is a certain business mentality that thinks on its own. It doesn't feel like a "thinks outside the box" in the usual sense, but more like they are very efficient on thinking "inside the box" - incorporating facts and evidence, etc. - and analytically leaping to significant, persistent successes. Examples: Donald Trump, Warren Buffett, Cyril Fagan, Chesley Sullenbergber (out-of-the-box skill!), Marie Curie, Michael J. Fox. It's not that they aren't intuitive (most of them are) - it's that they are pursuing their goals through consistent research, effort, persistence, etc.

Venus-Eris.
The sex partners in my past with this aspect were all in the space of, "OK, we're only going to know each other a short time. Let's do this!" They weren't at all promiscuous in anything like the Mercury-Eris sense, but were very casual, interested, etc. More of "Oh, you want to get coffee and chat" approach to sex rather than the "I'm on the run and will grab some fast-food on the way past." Other women I know (friends: not part of my sexual past or present) have pretty much the same attitude and approach.

Mars-Eris. Presidents with this aspect include George Washington, Bill Clinton, and James Buchanan. (The first two of these also are known to be highly sex-motivated. Besides that, I think their political and charcter patterns are all over the map.)

Among the famous, there's a lot of "breakout" creativity and effectiveness. Coonsider Bill Gates, Henry Kissinger, John Lennon, Warren Buffett, and others - even Whitney Houston and Rick Perry should be considered.

Jupiter-Eris. No conclusions yet. I'm particularly interested in this because one friend, whose natal Jupiter has nearly always acted like something between a disappointment and a malefic, has a close Jupiter-Eris conjunction. There was also a Jupiter-Eris conjunction at the dictation of Crowley's The Book of the Law, which might be considered as propelling religious and other orthodoxy into a chaotic tizzy. Nonetheless, there isn't enough information for me yet to draw any conclusions.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Freya wrote:THANK YOU :) The post was for both natal and predictive, if you have observed Eris effects in both. Can solar fire version v5 calculate Eris? I am curious to see its placement in my chart.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
Freya wrote:Can solar fire version v5 calculate Eris?
SF6 can show it as an "extra point," not in a regular chart. I don't remember if 5 can do that. SF8 is the first version that has it totally integrated with ll functions.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Freya wrote:Ok, I calculated my Eris placement. It's in 21 Pisces 38
it is square the sun, opposition the moon and square Venus. No further aspects.
Would it be fair to conclude that this Eris placement may point to the potential of having disruptive love relationships due to the conflicting relationship with my parent during childhood?
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:
dustinandrewjackson wrote:Where is Eris located in my chart, and what effects would its placement and aspects have (if they were applicable.)?
1. What's your birth data? (I don't have time to go dig it out of other threads.)
2. Nobody knows what effect, if any, it has, but we can (at best) tell you if there is any preliminary indication in observed cases of particular traits. Happy to do that as long as you understand that we aren't suggesting we actually know what we're talking about on the subject.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Jim Eshelman wrote:Actually, I found it faster than I thought: http://solunars.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2278

Eris, at the moment of your birth, was 21°15' Pisces. This could be very important if Eris has any astrological significance.

For one thing, it's only a couple degrees from your Ascendant degree - at least in the zodiac. But Eris was about 18° south of the ecliptic at your birth, so it's not really that close to the horizon. Its altitude is 14°07' below the horizon. I would not call it foreground.

On the other hand, Eris is within a degree of conjunct Venus, which is extremely important in your chart. It's also within a degree of trine your Moon.

REGARDING VENUS-ERIS
I don't have a clean sense of this, but here's what I've observed.

I know several women - some of whom have been lovers, some not - who have close Venus-Eris aspects. They all take sex in a very matter-of-fact, affectionate way - roughly equivalent to, "Want to take a walk?" It's not that they're nonchalant or unseriousd about it - sex is quite important to them - they just don't seem ever to have put it in a "reserved" category that gets treated anymore protectively than anything else in their lives.

Among famous people with close Venus-Eris aspects are: Bettie Page, Charles de Gaulle, Carol Channing, James Dean, Larry Hagman, Dustin Hoffman, Buddy Holly, Barbara Hutton, Donatella Versace, Ian Brady, Rodney King.

REGARDING MOON-ERIS
Mostly, no clear picture on this, except for one trait: Among the famous, there are numerous examples of people dealing intelligently with atypical or obscure languages that most people wouldn't understand, and genius-level penetration of "what's beyond it."

Among the famous, we have a couple of U.S. Presidents (and a bunch of other world political leaders) and one current Supreme Court judge (Kennedy). Among entertainers, we find Neil Diamond, Placido Domingo, Antonio Banderas, Della Reese, Andy Williams, Janet Jackson, Irene Cara, Sally Field, Judy Garland.

The other group of the famous, including those I alluded to above, includes: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, John Maynard Keynes, John Dee, Helen Keller, Albert Einstein, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Wolfgang Mozart, Joseph Smith.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Oct 13, 2013
Jim Eshelman wrote:I had progressed Moon sesqui-square my natal Eris yesterday. No discernible effect. It was a strong, positive day (transiting Sun square solar Jupiter), a lot to do, but no sense of chaos or unsettledness. A highly successful day, and nothing that could be characterized as "discord."

I'm going to continue watching these for a while (and I do watch daily transits and all progressions involving Eris and Sedna), but I'm starting to feel that it is close to a waste of time - that any effect is so minor as not to significantly intrude on the flow of life.
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Danica
Irish
Irish

Post by Danica » Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 pm

dustinandrewjackson wrote:About Moon-Eris: I actually have an interest in linguistics. I am fascinated by it. How people gesticulate and express emotion in other languages is something I pick up on in my daily life. For instance, the city I live in has a sizable portion of Russian immigrants. I work in sales, so whenever there is any blurred lines in the language barrier, I improvize by using gestures and speech patterns I've noted from observing the way they communicate amongst themselves. That may just be me inferring a bit too literally, but I couldn't help but notice it.

I
QUID VOLIS ILUD FAC

Jim Eshelman
Nabu

Post by Jim Eshelman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:13 pm

As a different spin on this... looking for something more fundamental...

Speaking of "chaos" in comparison to most of these interpretive observations leads me to think it really means complexity. Moon-Eris and Mercury-Eris mentally operating well within absurdly complex contexts, etc. Jupiter-Eris as "resolving complexity," Moon as "smooth adaptation to complexity," or something like that.

A different language path for observation.

In much of this, there is a "hit and run" quality, throwing a match in a gas tank on the way past etc.

This complexity idea may be a connector to some of the other observed phenomena. For example, from a needs perspective, higher level needs that relate to increased complexity (by current theories) include a reduction of emotionally inhibitive factors like shame and fear. In fact, increased excitement in various forms arises from diminished inhibition by shame and fear, yet the excitement varies directly with the chance of failure. (No likelihood of failure is boring where learning is concerned.)
Jim Eshelman
www.jeshelman.com